Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dr recommended weaning???

Question dr recommended weaning???

Why are pediatricians all of a sudden recommending weaning as soon as babies turn 1?

My ds turned one on Jan. 14 and had his 1 yr checkup yesterday. His dr said it's time to wean from BF and put him on whole milk. I explained that he gets whole milk while he is at day care, but he says that he needs to be on it exclusively. I don't understand. Dr also says he is a little on the small side, he weighs 19 pounds, and that he's not gaining weight, he weighed 19 pounds at last checkup also. I asked the nurse about it b/c it startled me at first too, but she said it's b/c he grew an inch and 1/2 so he grew longer instead of heavier. The dr said he needs to be at least 25 pounds. Is that right? He was only 5 pounds at birth, but eats healthy, loves nursing, and is otherwise fine. He's my third, but the only one I've BF for so long. He also said if he's not walking in a couple of months, he needs therapy???? Never heard of that.
    Anyway, sorry for so many questions, any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Default Re: dr recommended weaning???

Your ped. isn't correct...there is no reason to wean since your son just turned 1 year old. Even the AAP recommends breastfeeding for 12 months and as long thereafter as both mom and baby wish to continue. Babies still get lots of great benefits from breastfeeding, and your ped. is wrong about that.

I personally think that expecting all 1 year olds to weigh 25 lbs is a bit much. That doesn't take into account their normal growth patterns or build, or their parents body types.

www.kellymom.com has a great growth chart that lists growth patterns of exclusively breastfed babies. The WHO also has a chart...I'm not sure if the kellymom one is exactly the same or not, but here's the link to the kellymom one. http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/growth/chart2.html

According to that chart, 19 lbs. at 12 mos. is just below average...not off the charts by any means...not even near the bottom, but 25 lbs is WELL above average on the chart.

With regard to the walking comment by your ped... Has your DS learned to stand up without holding on to anything? Or taken his first steps? What I've always heard, is that some babies walk a couple months before 1 year, and some walk at 1 year, and some a couple months later. If your son is showing the signs that he'll be taking his first steps soon, I wouldn't worry about it. However, if he has no interest in standing and cruising around furniture, or if he can't stand up and cruise around furniture, or you find that he's not able to stand up without holding onto anything soon, then there might be more to it if he still doesn't seem to do it within a couple of months. Like maybe inner ear problems which affect balance or that kind of thing. So basically what I'm saying, is that if he's showing the signs that he's going to be able to do it soon, I wouldn't worry about it.

I might suggest you look into a different ped. though...he has some pretty strange opinions, and you might be happier with one who is a bit more current on some things...like the BF issue.

at our 9 mo checkup they were giving me advice on feeding solids just assuming id wean at a year...when i told them i planned on child led weaning the dr said, yeah ok, so closer to 2 yrs old.... although that would be fine by me, i didnt like the assumption....and, now i feel like i will be viewed different by them because of it.... they also said i could give him cows milk now....whatever....!

as far as being little....
    last monday at his well visit, austin was 18lb1oz...in the '10th percentile' based on their ridiculous (imo) charts....dh was all freaked out by this....although he feels much better after understanding where the charts are from and the fact that when a child is mobile they burn more calories....
    anyway, i brought him in today because he is sick....18lbs11.5oz.....WHAT?? the explaination?? first the girl who weighed him told me, oh thats good hes growing.....the dr said, oh yeah its probly the different scales (we were in a different room) or that he needed to poop...(did that yesterday so i dont think so....actually it had been a few days since he went when he weighed Less!) so, if they are ever concerned about his weight im going to make them weigh him on all different scales!
    try weighing yourself, and then again while holding him...it wont give you ounces but maybe youll be surprised??
    cows milk isnt necessary while bfing...your milk has the highest fat content and is best for your lo's brain...
    try some avacado mashed up or sliced for some extra fat too!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Yeah, TOTALLY don't worry about your child's weight right now. 25 pounds??? My goodness, my DS is pretty good size at 16 months, and he was 24 pounds a few weeks ago. And just saying a blanket statement like "your son should be around 25 pounds" is ludicrous.

On the walking issue, is your son making progress otherwise? I wouldn't worry too much unless there isn't some progress by 15 months. One of my kids started walking at over 14 months, and he's happy. I'm not sure why the doc felt the need to worry you unnecessarily about this milestone. Walking, in itself, is not something to worry about. At the same time, though, it never hurts to have therapy. I just wonder why docs say the things they say to a parent. We worry enough without them implying that our child isn't developing normally.

If you become concerned later, in many states, there are lots of resources for early intervention about any part of delayed development. In Michigan, for example, we have the Early On program, which covers birth to age 3. You can call them and have your child evaluated for cognitive and/or motor development. In many cases, these evaluations are free.

Lisa

lots of doctors just are not informed on the benifits of breastfeeding
    check out some of the links here at the lll web site
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBextended.html

you can breastfeed your baby as long as you and baby want.

I don't know which one blows me away more. Telling you that he should weigh 25 lbs or that he needs to be walking. The average age for a child to begin walking is between 9-16 months. And that's average. Some babies who are totally normal don't start walking till the 17/18 month age range. At one year I would be concerned if my baby wasn't pulling up, but even then I don't think therapy would be required yet. Now, if he wasn't sitting up then definately get some therapy. Your situation reminded me of a friend's who son was in the bottom 5% for weight and not hitting some developmental milestones. He told her to wean at a year (she had nursed her daughter longer). Her son did not magically put on weight. It's over a year later and they still have the same concerns about his weight/interest in solid foods. She is annoyed at herself for listening to her doctor even though at the time she thought it was crazy.

Also when did your older children start walking? Sometimes it seems like late/early walkers run in families.

Laura

Bless you little heart I think that you need to find a new ped. My son did not walk until 15 months, is now 20 months and just 22 pounds, has a dairy allergy so he does not ever drink cows milk and nurses day and night all the time. Guess what he is fine Honestly, the AAP rec amends nursing as long as baby and mom enjoy it and many babies do not walk until much later than one. I am sorry that you had such a bad experience with someone that we are suppose to trust our children with! I would graciously send him some info on all the subjects that he advised you wrongly on and quietly find a new ped Brittan-

Sounds like your Pedi needs some splainin'!!! And good for you for questioning! To think this Pedi is telling other mommas the same info is a bit frightening Maybe try to get the message across of what is currently recommended as far as breastfeeding goes. I would also look into getting another Pedi. Good Luck!

I agree with the PP's. Your ped's recommendations don't make any sense. The AAP's recommendation is to nurse until *at least* one year (not *only* to one year), and the World Health Organization recommends nursing a minimum of two years. As for walking, I think that 12 months is right at the AVERAGE for starting to walk. That would mean that HALF of all babies walk AFTER 12 months. From what I understand, 15 months is still in the normal range for walking. (My DS didn't walk until 15 months and his ped was not concerned.)

yeah same happen to me too. But my bb not below average actually above average a bit. I am not going to wean him. BM still the BEST!

your paed need to be educate bout goodness of bf EVEN MY PAED TOO!!!

Gosh.. dont have to listen everything that PAED said. Sometimes mommy knows the best!!

you can seek 2nd or 3rd opinion by visit diff paed.