Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breast Shield Use ???

Question Breast Shield Use ???

I am new to this forum. I am looking for some advice and direction. My baby girl is now 6 weeks old. She has been breastfeeding with a breast shield that was recommended by the nurses at the hospital during my stay. My baby was born tongue tied. She latched on good at first but when the doctors snipped her she had difficulty latching on and staying on to feed. She has been successfully breastfeeding with the shield and gaining weight. I have an abundant milk flow and pump two times a day in addition to my feedings. I have asked the doctor about the breast shield and she says that I should start weining(?) her off. My feeling is that it seems to work well for the baby and me so I guess I am wondering what the problem is. I am wondering what people's experience has been with the breast shield and/or what people know. I am planning on breastfeeding at least a year or more and would like not to have to rely on the shield because it can get messy.

Advice and direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Breast Shield Use ???

I used a nipple sheild for about 7 weeks after my dd was born, because of a painfully cracked nipple that would not heal. I couldn't wait to get rid of it, because it was a pain to keep track of and clean. It is so much easier to not have to worry about any "accessories."

Weaning her off it wasn't too hard (she had been nursing on the bare nipple on one side all along, so she never had to totally relearn latching on). I would just try nursing without it occasionally, starting at times when you are feeling most up to the challange. Once you both get comfortable with nursing without the sheild, it will be easy to ditch it entirely. Then you will have one less thing to worry about and keep track of .

I used a breast sheild. My son would not latch on really well and I had a lot of milk to. So it did help with the amount that came out. My son on his own started to nurse Naturally. It did not start until he was about 2 1/2 months. I would try one feeding at a time. Not when I am really engorged. I was told my milk supply would go down if I continued to nurse that way. I did not have a problem though with my supply or having him go with out the sheild. I did not force the issue though. good luck.

If it's working for you then there's really no reason to change things. That said, nipple shields are made differently today than they were a few years ago. Nowaday's most nipple shields are made of a thinner silicone which facilitates plenty of breast stimulation. Prior to this new design, the nipple shield could cause supply issues which is probably why you were advised to get rid of it as soon as possible. I've seen mom's use a nipple shield for their entire breastfeeding relationship (2+ years) without any issues. Is your nipple shield the type that is the thinner silicone? If not then you may want to consider weaning off of it or switching to a different type.

I used a breast shield for the first 6 weeks. I got tired of the mess and my aunt had used a breast shield for a time with her preemie twins so she had experienced weaning a baby from the shield. She advised me to start feeding my daughter with the sheild, and once i had let down, to remove the shield and quickly relatch her. It worked wonderfully and within a week we were shield-free. I didn't really mind using the shield except that we travel a lot and it seemed a hassle to keep one clean and handy all the time. My sister-in-law had a preemie and she has been using the shield for 5.5 months now without problems, so it seems like it can go great either way.