Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Desparate mom, need help

Default Desparate mom, need help

I have so many concerns with my 3 months LO ...please help me to understand..I am all alone with my LO....Right now I don't have relatives or friends to support....I find this site is very useful and I appreciate the help all you moms are giving...

1. My 3 months old baby is sleeping for every 2 hours in the day time. After 2 hours she wakes up for milk.During drinking milk, sometimes she become so fussy.latches and pulls the breast by crying.when I take out her for burp she cries.then i give another breast, she drinks for sometime again samething continues......

2. After drinking milk if i put her on the floor or in the bouncer to play, she cries .....she starts rubbing her eyes with both hands...looks like she was so tired and become fussier...she doesn't know how to sleep on her own and whenever she is feeling sleepy she cries a lot ....I will comfort her by rocking ....she wants by breast to soothe her..by hodling my breast only she goes to sleep ...but after some time she waks up and cries because of burp...i tried using pacifier..she didn't like it ...

3. Since one week she was waking up for every 2 hours in the night time ..She used to sleep 5 hours at a stretch earlier..now she was waking for every 2 hours and having milk .....sometimes i nurse her by sitting..but around 2 am i was too tired to sit also...then i give her in sleeping position..she drinks and sleeps ...again she wakes up for burp by crying...nowadays she was spitting ...

4. Daytime she is sleeping a lot ...Night times she is waking up for every 2 hours for milk....Through out the day she sleeps on my lap with pillow..if i put her in the bassinet, she wakes up within minutes.....she has n't even slept in the crib even for an hour also...

5. If she is awake and alert, she wants me to hold all the time ..i use frontpack sometimes...in that she falls asleep. if i try to remove the frontpack, she wakes up ...

6. she is passing lot of gas with odour smell , pooping once in every 3-4 days

I don't know what wrong i am doing ....I was so desparate, i need help...feeling like crying ..cried...i wrote all my problems in one thread itself ..please help me to understand how to figure out for all my problems...getting tears..

Default Re: Desparate mom, need help

Well, my LO is only six weeks old, but he has the burping spit up problem and he doesn't like to sleep on his own either... what I do:

At night, I feed him in the side lying position they get less air that way, also, often we just fall asleep together and when he was younger, he slept longer when he slept next to me. I have a co-sleeper so he sleeps right next to the bed now. When I feed him and he falls asleep I gently move him to the co sleeper..(Hint: I put a heating pad in the co-sleeper to warm the sheets, going from my warm body to the cool sheets was waking him up, if you warm the sheets with a heating pad then remove the heating pad and place your LO on the warm sheets it is not such a drastic change)

It sounds like you don't want to wake her to burp her.. I say let her eat, burp her even if it wakes her up (I do and normally my LO will fall asleep on my shoulder). If you have to you can always just put her in the feed position to sleep after the burp.

My LO has never slept in his crib, only with me, on a pillow next to me on the couch, in his bouncy seat, in my bed and in a co-sleeper... we are working on the crib.. so far the longest he has slept in it is 30 minutes.

Have you tried a swing?

Hope this helps...

Only my breasts make my LO to sleep ..that is the only way to make her sleep....once she goes to sleep, how should i burp her ? is it okay to keep her on my shoulder for quiet some time ?
    then again after burping if i put her on the bed, she wakes up and again she wants my breast ....like this cycle continuing...
    i am NOT getting atleast 2 hour continuous sleep ...

3 months is a good time for a growth spurt. I know it took about a week and a half before my LO got regulated again. I thought I was going to go nuts. It didn't even dawn on me that it was a growth spurt. He was awake constantly, not sleeping, waking all the time. Eating constantly, fussy all the time. I was pulling my hair out. If she's pulling on and off a lot she's going to ingest some air and make her a little gassy. The poops and stinky poots are fairly normal. HTH

My DS is 14 weeks and we have many similar things going on. The fact that she is sleeping every two hours is normal. There is a book by Mark Weisbluth, Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child that I read which said that babies can only handle max 2 hours of wakefulness. He says after 1 hour start doing things to soothe them to get them ready for sleep. Since I started this I know exactly when he is tired. My DS is fussy right now due to teething- he is drooling lots and popping on and off the breast. He hates being burped as well. My DS will not sleep either unless he is nursed. I know its not something he will do forever so I just go with the flow. After I nurse I always keep him upright for atleast 1/2 hour because he has some reflux. He would wake up or get fussy when I layed him flat. I always elevate his head if I lay him down after nursing say to play on the mat. He actually sleeps in his papasan chair because its slightly slanted. The first few weeks I held him upright for hours at night and I got no sleep. He wakes up whenever I have put him in his bed but sleeps much better in this papasan. During the day I nurse him on the boppy-then naps on me too.
    I just relax, read ,watch TV or am on the internet. My little guy is gassy and its normal for them to have a bowel movement every few days. I'm sure someone else will chime in with some solutions for you. Just remember your not alone. At night he usually drifts off at 6 or 7 and then wakes up once or twice to nurse anytime before 5 or 6 am.

I meant in the day its normal to need a nap every two hours- just to clarify what I was trying to say. Sorry.

are you feeding long enough on one breast before switching?

sometimes she pulls away from the breast and cries ..again she catchs the breast and pulls away ....that time if i want to burp her, she cries aloud.....but if i offer second breast, she is happier

Sounds like your situation is very close to mine. My son is three months old and has a similar pattern during the day. He eats every two hours, is usually up for about 1 hour after eating and then getting sleepy but often cries a lot and has trouble falling asleep. But he does eventually, sleeps for a while and then the pattern repeats. Just today I've started tracking everything to see how much sleep he's getting. I have a feeling it's not the 15-16 hours they need at this age.

As for night: feeding every two hours at this age is normal, though not great for moms who need sleep. If nursing while lying down works for both of you, do it! We haven't mastered it yet but I'm hoping we will be able to.

It sounds like you have a "high-need" baby. I was just reading about this in The Baby Book by Dr. Sears. They need to be held a lot and nursed a lot. When she's asleep in the front-pack, can you just keep her in there instead of risking waking her up by taking her out?

I wouldn't worry about burping at night unless you know she needs to. I don't always burp if my son has fallen asleep.

He also has started spitting up a little bit more than before. I think it's normal as long and it's not too much volume.

Pooping every 3-4 days at this age is totally normal and long as it's a pretty big one and is soft and runny like normal BM poop.

You are not doing anything wrong! You are doing a great job. Check out this link from Dr Sears website on high-need babies:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/t050100.asp

Good luck, keep us posted.

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807