Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Gowth spurt or overabundant supply?

Default Gowth spurt or overabundant supply?

My daughter is 21 days old and for the past couple of days, her eating habits have been driving me crazy. She wants to eat all the time, especially in the evening. The other night, I spent from 8 p.m. until 2 a.m. nursing her, with only a few breaks of no more than 30 minutes in-between. When she's at the breast, she is fussing a lot, violently pulling away from my nipple (ouch!), then eagerly searching for it again. I know she's not eating the whole time, a lot of it is just suckling, but if I take her off the breast, she will immediately want back on. I've tried a pacifier, but she refuses to take it. The only way I could finally get her to go to sleep was by feeding her a bottle of expressed milk (I didn't really want to introduce a bottle this early, but they had already given her supplementary feedings with formula at the hospital because she was dehydrated from a fever.) Before that, we were doing really well, no problems, and she was even sleeping through the night! My LC has mentioned that she's probably going through a growth spurt, but on the Internet, I've found many descriptions of overabundant milk supply/overactive letdown that fit our situation to the dot. I am leaking a lot of breast milk even when I'm not feeding her. So now I'm confused whether I should try to decrease my milk supply to regulate the overabundance, or let things go naturally to feed her growth spurt needs. I'm also not sure if it is a good idea for me to pump breast milk. I'd like to build up a supply, but I don't want to make my breasts produce even more milk if it's already too much. Anybody have any advice?

Default Re: Gowth spurt or overabundant supply?

This sounds very familiar! My 10 week old and I have been dealing with oversupply and an over-active letdown (OALD) as well. What you want to try is block feeding. Feed on one breast for multiple sessions (some do one breast in the morning, one in the afternoon). If the other breast gets too uncomfortable, express a little (less than one ounce) to relieve that. This should help with two things: the LO will get to the hindmilk and get a better foremilk/hindmilk balance, decreasing tummy aches, and hopefully fussiness at the breast; and your breasts will adjust to proper supply levels. I may not have this exactly straight, but believe me, block-feeding is definitely what I've had to do for my oversupply and OALD, and it has worked.

I believe that your LO is due for a growth spurt, too.

I'm not much of an expert yet, but I hope that this has helped. I'm sure that someone else will chime in soon as well. Meanwhile, best of luck!

Millie

news_mr: As I am reading your thread IT SOUNDS AS IF I WROTE IT. we are going through the same thing...overactiveletdown/my LO is always hungry...frantically rooting, never seems satisfied after offering both breast for hours. I have had to pump for a few minutes to relieve my leaks. She is sleeping sometimes and I rather wait till she wakes bef. I feed her.
    I have resolved to EBM for 2 feedings today. SHe's already been introduced to the bottle at the hospital just like you. Basically I didn't have a choice in that matter being I had a c-sec. and she was in NICU.
    So far it hasn't affected the latch nor any nipple confusion, etc.

I have been working on the OALD..lot's of info on that on this site and on kellymom.com.

Is your LO gassy and spitting up and hiccuping A LOT? My LO is 25 days old today.
    Not sure what I am going to continue doing? My breast are just killing me with her pulling away at them constantly.
    I am working on the block feeding but that is when she starts pulling away as if she is not getting enough to eat off that one breast. I don't know what to do anymore.
    Anybody...what can I do about the pulling and the craziness at the breast. SHE NEVER SEEMS SATISFIED!!
    Eliz

Quote Originally Posted by Beauty2iis View Post
    spitting up and hiccuping A LOT?
    That part is TOTALLY normal. Beauty2lis is also at a growth spurt marker...

3 weeks, 6 weeks, 9 weeks and 3 months are the times for enormous growth spurts. You can expect pretty much constant nursing. The baby is attempting to tell your breast, "Hey, make some more!" So the nursing down to the empty feeling and then the BB still demanding to nurse a breast that feels empty (breasts never empty out all the way despite how they feel) is how you end up producing more. As far as the oald goes- if you are nursing constantly i would expect that to lessen because you will have less in your breast to spray right now gwim? Normally it really could be the case. But with that much nursing it could just be the I've-got-gas-pull. Have you tried Mylicon drops, tummy rubbs or bicycling the feeties?
    I'd wait on tring to decrease your milk, you'll just make it harder for your lo to get enough milk right now. And it really sounds like your baby is putting alot of effort into making yu have a greater supply. If you feel like you need to pump to relieve pressure off an engorged breast just try to pump a little off the top so you don't tell the breast to make more, more, more! hth

Question Re: Growth spurt or overabundant supply?

Thanks everyone for your support! It's nice to know we're not alone. Thankfully, her crazy hunger sprees have started to slow down some. She's still clusterfeeding in the evening, but not nearly as bad as a week ago, so I think it probably was just due to the growth spurt. I am still a little concerned about whether she is trying to increase my milk supply or whether I might have an oversupply that could be keeping her from getting the rich hindmilk - or is it just normal to be leaking a lot of milk in-between feedings? Also, she went from pooping after nearly every feeding to pooping just once a day (usually a very watery diaper-buster in the morning). She has plenty of wet diapers, though.

Beauty2iis, my LO is also hiccuping a lot and very gassy (another thing makes me think of oversupply), but then again, she was hiccuping a lot when she was still in the womb.

I have tried bycicling her feet and rubbing her belly when she's fussy, but she doesn't seem to respond to that. Never heard of Mylicon drops.

My nipples are very sore by now, they pretty much feel on fire most of the time, and I get these stinging pains in them and sometimes deeper in my breasts as well. Is that common?
    Last edited by news_mr; January 28th, 2007 at 04:28 PM.

Default Re: Growth spurt or overabundant supply?

You might want to check out this information on thrush to make sure that isn't the cause of your pain. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...resources.html

carpentergirl: what is "gwim" I read in ur pp?
    just bought the milycon drops...tried the rubs and bicycles no help..the block feeding is not working cuz she is still hungry when breast is emptied so I have to give her the other side. Maybe I shouldn't try to decrease. since she is so hungry all the time.
    working on dairy right now ..don't think that is the culprit of her gassines though. I stopped drinking milk for a week now...all dairy 2 days ago.

new_mr: I am dealing with the thrush now too...baby had a yeast infection in her diaper area, not in her mouth.... my nipples had the sore and pain too. I would get that checked or see if it applies to u and your LO. Lots of info on that on this site and at kellymom.com. Hope it isn't thrush!

How old is ur baby?

Default Re: Growth spurt or overabundant supply?

Quote Originally Posted by news_mr View Post
    I am still a little concerned about whether she is trying to increase my milk supply or whether I might have an oversupply that could be keeping her from getting the rich hindmilk - or is it just normal to be leaking a lot of milk in-between feedings?

Beauty2iis, my LO is also hiccuping a lot and very gassy (another thing makes me think of oversupply), but then again, she was hiccuping a lot when she was still in the womb.

Never heard of Mylicon drops.

My nipples are very sore by now, they pretty much feel on fire most of the time, and I get these stinging pains in them and sometimes deeper in my breasts as well. Is that common?
    ok, lots of questions!
    The sign that bb isn't getting a good balance of foremilk to hind milk is green poop. here is a poop link:
    http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Yup, its normal to leak Breast milk. I used cut up menstral pads when i was at home.

As it happens, hiccups are a sign of a healthy baby IN the womb, and OUT! Gassy babies are evrywhere- their tiny digestive tracts are still immature. You can buy Mylicon drops in any pharmacy, they are inert and safe.

Not all breast pain fortells trouble. I get pains in the breast from letdown, and from milk being pressed downwards. If it is persistant and accute, have it looked at.

[QUOTE=Beauty2iis;120857]carpentergirl: what is "gwim" I read in ur pp?
    just bought the milycon drops...tried the rubs and bicycles no help..the block feeding is not working cuz she is still hungry when breast is emptied so I have to give her the other side. Maybe I shouldn't try to decrease. since she is so hungry all the time.
    working on dairy right now ..don't think that is the culprit of her gassines though. I stopped drinking milk for a week now...all dairy 2 days ago.
    QUOTE]

hi there!
    gwim= get what i mean.

Are you aware it takes about two weeks to clear out dairy from your system? I know you think its causing the gas, but have you had allergy poops as well? It might not be the dairy, could just be regular gassy bb. You could expect flourecent green poops this color> and a red ouchy ring around the anus too. Any combo of those.
    Do you have oald on both breasts or just one. Which one is the turbo boob out of both of them? Start feeding from the slower one, then at the end of the feeding do compressions- you know about those yet? THEN move to the other one. Always start on your slower one. You can also get a cloth diaper and once your bb chokes once, pull off and let it spray into rag (you can squeeze a little to help it) once it slows down pop bb back on. hope that helps!