Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Wear and tear on nipples

Default Wear and tear on nipples

I'm wondering what to do about nipple soreness - at 9 months. My daughter has a lot of teeth. She does not really bite me (she did when she first got teeth, but I was able to stop that early); rather I think when she latches on she pulls with a lot of force and, to some extent, her teeth. She's an enthusiastic nurser, she just loves it! So what I am saying is that she's not biting me, but she must be using her teeth (or a strong 'grip'?) as she latches on.

Anyway, the outcome of this is that my nipples hurt and I've had a number of blisters and I've started to cringe a little bit when she first latches on. My nipples are just sore all the time now.

I never really had nipple soreness when she was a newborn but now I seem to be getting my share!

Can anyone suggest what I should do. I want to nurse her for a lot longer than 1 year but I'm wondering if I'll have any nipples left when she's done with them!

Thank you for your help!

Default Re: Wear and tear on nipples

I'm in the same boat. My almost 10 MO is really doing a number on me. I keep hoping it's a phase and she'll get back to nursing the way she used to. Right now I actually have bruises from her assault on me!

I'd love it too if anyone offers advice!

Sometimes as our babies get older we tend to slack off in the positioning department. If you're getting blisters then your baby is latched on improperly and it could be caused from poor positioning.

My best suggestion is to simply go back to the basics. Make sure baby is positioned properly and that she's latching on properly. If she's not, unlatch her and help her latch back on. At 9 months old it's a bit easier to insist that baby's latch be perfect each and every time. You may even get baby to imitate you opening your mouth WIDE, lol.

HTH!

I would just add -- even at 9 or 10 months, babies can start learning what "gentle" means. Encourage her to be gentle with the num-num (or whatever word you use). Tell her "ouch!" when she hurts you, or when she does something that you know will make you sore -- and praise her when she is gentle. She'll get it, in time.

--Rebecca

No advice, just support...
    DS is 10 months and we're going through the same thing. I have large cuts on both nipples and they bleed when I pump. I am so sore. I have been using Lansinoh like crazy and even bought Soothies again, but it still hurts. I try to make sure he is positioned well, but he's so wiggly, it's hard.
    I'm trying really hard to just grin and bear it because I really want to BF a minimum of a year.