Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cries at the breast

Default Re: Cries at the breast

Thanks for that info Jen. I'm going to try going from 3 hours per feeding to 4 hours and see how that goes. She's only ever nursed on one breast per session. She's always gotten what she needs from that.

We have been having problems with bloody stools and it started around Halloween. I've cut out my dairy, as per the ped., but she's still having bloody stools. Today she underwent an x-ray, ultrasound and nuclear scan to rule out Meckels. Her refusing to nurse has been going on since around December 1.

Today she's nursed quite well - so far! She also went 7 hours between her morning feeding and the next feeding due to the nuclear scan they did - she had to have an empty stomach. She then went 2 hours and wanted to nurse again which she did for almost half an hour. The earlier feeding was only 10 minutes so I wasn't surprised that she nursed for so long on the next feeding.

Hmm, bloody stools, as you know, can be a sign of a food allergy. You mentioned cutting out dairy--are you checking labels carefully to make sure you're cutting out all dairy (and not just the obvious stuff?). If you are, and it's not helping, then maybe you would find keeping a food diary helpful. Other common allergens are wheat, soy, nuts and eggs.
    I hope you get the results you want from her tests today! That must have been stressful on both of you.
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Yep, I am checking labels constantly. My gut feeling is that something else is bothering her though. I've gone 2 full weeks without dairy, making sure not to have any whey or casein either, but she still has blood. Then, like today for example, I had a coffee with cream and a little bit of cheese, and her stools are fine.