Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 6 month old waking at night??? HELP!

Default 6 month old waking at night??? HELP!

Hi,
    My son is almost 7 months old and until a few weeks ago was sleeping from 7-8 pm until 5 am before waking to eat and go back to sleep till about 7am. The last few weeks thta schedule has gone!! Now he's going to bed around 7pm, but waking around midnight, and four and six......I try to let him cry (while checking on him every 15 min) but not picking him up or feeding him. BUT once he hits 45-1hr, I can't take it! I end up feeding him and fear this is making my issue worse. Does anyone know why this is happening? OR have any suggestions on how to get my baby sleeping again??? I feel like he's a newborn!!! AHHH..

THANKS

Default Re: 6 month old waking at night??? HELP!

My DS is also 7 months old, and he has NEVER slept that long. I did get a 5 hour stretch the other night. LOL. One of my first posts to this forum was on that issue. One thing I read that gave me a whole new outlook was something about what is the difference if our LO needs to nurse for hunger or comfort. They are only going to need us this way for such a short time. Since I read that, I have not complained to my DH once. The other thing I learned was that a babies sleep pattern is not predictable. When they are teething or going though a growth spurt they often wake up more. Good luck.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

Is your LO getting teeth or working on crawling? There are a lot of things that can disturb sleep at that age. The fact that he is waking often after being such a good sleeper means SOMETHING is bothering him and he is trying to tell you. Crying is his only way of doing that.

Actually, he's only getting up a couple of times a night right now as it is. 7pm-12pm (5 hrs) and then up between 4 and 6 am? A 5 hr stretch at night is considered "sleeping through the night". That is COMPLETELY normal for his age (and frankly I would kill for that schedule right now with my 9 mos old!).

It could just be a phase that will quickly pass. Hang in there!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

I agree with pps that 6-7 months is usually prime time for babies to start waking more frequently due to teething and/or developmental issues. IMO the best thing to do is be responsive and BF him when he needs it. BF is actually a pain reliever for our LOs! Pretty amazing!
    Try to trust that your baby is communicating a real need. It can be hard, but as a pp mentioned, that change in perspective can help a lot.
    You're doing great, mama. There is such a learning curve with parenting-I learn new things all the time!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

I would love it if my lo slept that much! She is 13 months old and has never slept that much. Its probably teeth. There is a lot of research that indicates letting a baby cry it out is not a healthy technique. I think responding to your baby builds trust, and not responding to your baby can tend the other way. Please, go to your baby and breastfeed.

Isn't it around six months that your LO has a last really big growth spurt? That could be part of what is causing this new bout of wakefulness. If he appears hungry when he wakes I would just go ahead and feed him. Also, as the PPs said, teething or developping new skills can cause this as well. They just sort of grow out of those.