Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painful tingle

Default painful tingle

I'm not breastfeeding but pumping every 3 to 4 hours. some times i get a really weird feeling in my breast i dont know how to explain it....its kinda tingaly but it is painful im just wondering if its normal and what exacally it is?

Default Re: painful tingle

When does the sensation occur? Before pumping? During? After?

in between pumping it seems to be happening more and more often i just wanna make sure there is nothing wrong ....

I get that feeling every once and a while between feeds. My personal idea is that it's the milk falling into place or being squeezed into position in the breast. But if it becomes really painful you might want to have it checked out. I think there are some yeast infections you can get that cause some pretty severe discomfort and pain.

Wink Re: painful tingle

The only time I have painful tingles is when I have thrush. It could be thrush or it could be something else.

I'll PM you LOTS of info on yeast, causes, symptoms, treatments so you can try and determine if you have yeast. Too long to post here! I have TONS of info on thrush!

I have so much info because I and my 2 month old had it from week 2 to week 5 so bad that there were several days where I screamed at latch on and cried the entire time he nursed. And we JUST had another bout last week!

We apperently have a resistant strain. It was so bad I even threw out ALL of my make up and bought all new make up to make sure that wasn't how we were getting reinfected!!

Anyways, I'll PM you that info so you can see if you think you have it and talk to your doctor.

I also get a tingle in my breast but it is not "painful" per say but more like "noticable" and it usually occurs when it is time to feed my LO again. I have read on the forum that you are supposed to feel when you Let Down your milk supply, I never have so I assumed the tingling was that. Because I have OALD (i am assuming from my LO choking and gasping when feeding and my over abundance of milk) that the rush of milk may be a bit discomforting... now I am concerned it is something else

I have been BF for 5wks and have had this burning tingling pain in between feeds frequently. I notice it often after pumping as well.

When my milk lets down I have a intense pressure/tingle/pain. There are actually little muscles in your ducts that cause letdown, so if these are pushing a lot of milk all at once it can cause a more intense feeling. (I've had oversupply and OALD.)

If it's happening between pumping sessions, it might be that your body thinks you should be getting rid of the milk more frequently. (When I get engorged I'm much more likely to have a letdown between feedings.) You might try pumping sometime right after you get this feeling and see if you get more milk faster that usual. If so, that's probably what it is and you wouldn't have to worry about thrush.

I've always had a strong pins-n-needles sensation when my milk was letting down....I'd feel it, then the milk would start coming out. If the suction was too strong on the pump, it intensified the sensation.

I wouldn't call in painful, but it did have a bit of a sting to it.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.

i think it might just be the let down of my milk....because today before i got in the shower i felt the tingeling again and looked down and my boobs were leaking like a faucet.... ive always had on overload of milk so hopfully thats all it is. i really pray that its not thrush it seems like its a lot of work to get rid of and i already feel so busy....thank you everyone for the information it was a lot of help.