Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Scared to start solids...

Default Scared to start solids...

My 6 month old is more than ready for solids, so I have started on organic rice cereal. He has food protein issues...dairy, soy, eggs, nuts, wheat, fish, along with a few others. I am so nervous about introducing much of anything, afraid it will cause him gastro upset. Anyone been through this?

Sarah

Default Re: Scared to start solids...

My son had some problems with soy coming through my breastmilk and causing major stomach upset. We used a bit of cereal but mostly skipped over it and I used a food grinder to mix stuff like quinoa(a grain) with breastmilk or I would give him yams, banana, avocado etc. The baby cereals are not very healthy(organic or not) and interfere with the iron absorption from your breastmilk. I waited 5 days in between introducing new foods and just took it slowly. By 10 months he had grown out of his soy problem and now eats most everything (he is almost 2). We still have some problems with acidic foods but so does my hubby so I expect it may last.
    My best advice is to just introduce slowly and watch for tummy upset, skin rash, bum rash etc. If that pops up cut that food out for a while.

I hear a lot of mothers say that their baby's favorite first food was avocado, straight out of the shell, just mashed. Lots of essential fats and very easy to digest.

Another lovely first food is sweet potato. It's simple to prepare - you can just bake it whole in its skin, then mash the flesh. The texture is perfect and babies seem to love it!

I agree with the earlier post - introduce new foods one at a time and wait to make sure there is no reaction before introducing the next. Another tip is to introduce foods in the morning rather than later in the day - that way, if there is a reaction you need to deal with, it will be easier to seek medical help then than in the evening. Also, if the food causes your baby digestive discomfort, it will be easier to deal with that during the day, rather than overnight!

Good luck, I'm sure everything will be fine.

Tried the avocado today (I LOVE them!) and he seemed to have some issues passing it. I remember #1 ds when he started solids, everything came back out looking like it did going in. DS #2 seemed a bit uncomfortable...could be just new stuff in the gut? No blood or mucous, just avocado looking the same as it went in...seemed a bit more solid then it was when i gave it to him. I have thought about giving him nothing, but he keeps trying to eat what I am eating, opening mouth, grabbing for my spoon/fork. He gets really excited, but really wants nothing to do with the food I make for him. Turkey is next...he might like that!

Thanks!

Sarah

If your baby isn't digesting the foods you are giving him then that could be a good sign that he's not ready yet. Some babies are perfectly content with a spoon and a cup or even a momsicle (breastmilk ice cube) during mealtimes. Many parents wait to give their babies solid foods until the baby can eat regular table food (within reason, of course).

Good luck!