Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Should I start solids?? 18 lb 14 week old

Default Should I start solids?? 18 lb 14 week old

My son who is EBF and 18 lb 10 oz 26 1/2 " (14 weeks)is starting to eat a lot, I think its a growth spurt. I have not considered solids till my sister said that at around this time (3 month mark) their eating habits start to change, they eat a lot more, and feeding changes, as does composition. Will I start to feel very drained? he seems to like to eat his hand a lot, even when he is nursing.
    sometimes he gets really upset while we are eating our food, (he can't have any poor little muffin) Is he ready for solids? how will I know? some babies start solids sooner? I know he is a big guy, but he has done fine with my milk so far
    is this just a growth spurt or is he needing something more?
    OR will the solid food make him gain even more weight quicker? yikes!!!

Kathy

Default Re: Should I start solids?? 18 lb 14 week old

It could very well be a growth spurt. I would not recc. starting solids so young. The AAP recc. 6 mos b/c it is not until about then that their gut is mature enough to handle food other than BM (or formula). Keep doing what you're doing. It sounds like you have a healthy baby and that's all from you!

Your sister is right about one thing - their nutritional needs do change throughout their first year. BUT, your BM changes to match those needs. Solids are just for fun in the 1st year.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

It's recommended that you do not start solids until 4-6 months your baby is getting all he needs from you. I don't have any links but sure the other mommas will chime in with info to back that up. GL and happy nursing!

I wouldn't start solids this early their digestive track are not ready yet.. I think you would have a bigger problem on your hands with fussyness from a sour tummy.. Your body adjust to the growth spurts and your BM should be all that your baby needs. It is hard during my LO growth spurts all it feel llike I do is feed her. But it is only a day or two and she goes back to normal....Good Luck it sounds like you are doing such a wonderful job....
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

I would definitely hold off on the solids for as long as possible. You might not be able to get away with waiting 'til 6 mos., but introducing foods before then increases risks of food allergies.
    Mother - Wife - Artist - Cook - Writer - EnvironMENTAList - Cloth Diaperer (but we are soooo done with diapers) - Organic Health Nut...I'm sure there's more.

DD1 - 12/15/05 Breastfed for 16.5 months
    DD2 - 8/6/07 Breastfed for 3 whole years and 3 little, extra days.