Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pumping-needs some help

Default Pumping-needs some help

My lo is 6 weeks old and i think my milk supply is well established. No major problems w/breastfeeding, it seems like everything is going pretty well. I do want to start pumping and introduce her to a bottle - i will be away next week for about 5 hours and need to pump enough milk. but i also want to store extra milk (just in case). how do i begin pumping? i usually nurse from one breast (lately she demands more - so she sometimes gets both breasts), so i'm not sure when do i pump (an hour after feedings is ok?)
    also, i have another question - i will be on maternity leave until she's 9 months old and want to continue breastfeeding until she's 1 - but since my options are very limited at work (as for as puming goes) -my question is - how much do 9 month old babies eat (breastmilk that is) - how often will i have to pump (on average - i know all babies are different). just want to prepare myself and explore my options
    thanks for any suggestions.

Default Re: Pumping-needs some help

I started by nursing one breast and pumping the other, and then switching at the next feeding. If you stop to burp and then return her to the same breast, it is miraculous how much she can actually get out of one side, plus the effort she puts into sucking at that one breast will ultimately increase your supply.

I keep a few bottles in the fridge, and also a back-up in the freezer. My husband loves feeding her (she gets a bottle from him about once a day), and I love being able to go out for a few hours and leave her with him or my mother occasionally - it is good for the soul to get some personal time. Also, I had the flu for a day and could not even sit up and hold her, and the milk in the fridge saved us. Its good to have it on hand.

My LO is 6 weeks yesterday... I started pumping last week. I pump one bottle in the morning... I pumped one bottle each morning after his morning feeding because that is when I am really full. I feed him one breast and pump the other. I produce alot of milk, it takes me 10 minutes normally to pump about 4 oz out of the one breast... but the one time I tried to pump in the afternoon, I only got 2 1/2 oz out. I had three bottles in the frig for emergency feedings and now have three bags in the freezer of stored milk. I am going back to work part time (two days a week) at the end of this month.

My LO is starting to sleep one 3 1/2 - 4 hour slot at night and it is killing me, I wake up after about 3 1/2 hours and my breasts are full and hurt and I am praying he wakes up and wants to eat. The other day I made the mistake of letting my DH feed him at night and we went to bed, I didn't wear a nursing bra and my PJ, the sheets, and blankets were soaked, I woak up three hours into it begging my LO to wake up... so after about 3 1/2 hours he moved in his co-sleeper and I grabbed him and fed him to relieve the pressure... I had actually gone down and brought up my manual pump to start pumping because I was afraid he would wake up and I wouldn't hear him while I was down stairs using the electric one. He moved just in time. The next morning I fed him and pumped 5 oz. So as much as I would love my husband to feed him, next time if he feeds him, I will sit and pump while he is bonding with the LO.

You can store breast milk for up to six months (in the freezer) so you should have no problem pumping and storing one bag a day even just a month before you return to work. But you will have to pump at work I believe when you normally feed your LO. So if by 9 months your LO is eating every four hours than you will probably have to pump at least once or twice. But I am not sure.

Allyizhere...

I had the same problem with soreness and over-engorgement when my daughter started sleeping for long stretches - I just wanted to let you know that now I go for 8 (or more!) hours at night without any issues, and it has not affected my supply during the day at all - I am always full at 6:30 a.m. when she normally wakes up, still have enough to pump and store while nursing her throughout the day. Just wanted to give you a light at the end of the tunnel!!

Its amazing how your body adjusts production to your own specific schedule!

Hi magda,
    What I have figured out, is that it works best when I pump right after the baby is done, on the exited breast. That way I encourage my body to produce more milk, and I don't interfer with my babies supply. I do this once a day, I get both breasts and I managed to save 6-8 oz a day. However my baby is older than yours, and there will be other distinguishing factors, don't be supprised if you get less. A baby requires around 24 oz a day. If you have any problems feel free to pm me, I have lots of solutions regaurding pumping, and problems that arise around it. hth