Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Allergies or Reflux??

Question Allergies or Reflux??

My 4 week old son, a few days after my milk came in, started to fuss at the breast after a few good swallows og milk and continues to do so. It wasn't so bad he could go through the night and nurse fine but not during the day. Now he'll only have maybe 1 good feeding at night. I can usually get him to eat when he is sleepy but is stil upset when he wakes up. I've been told it could be a milk allergy so I cut out all dairy and soy. It's been 10 days and no difference. The thing about the reflux thing is that spitting up and/or vomiting seem to be a common symptom but my son has only spit up [I]maybe[I] 5 times. Have any other moms experienced a reflux prob without the spitting up/vomit? My next syep is to start eliminating more from my diet but how far do I have to go? By the end of it I won't be able to eat anything

Default Re: Allergies or Reflux??

does he seem to be in pain or uncomfortable when he is on the breast? i am wondering if he has an earache or something and maybe it doesnt have anything to do with your milk...just a thought.

have the shape of your nipples changed at all since your milk came in, like maybe its a harder latch because of fullness?

do you wash your nipples so that there may be a soap film on them?

do you wear perfume or fragrant deoderant? my dd would not nurse if i wore perfume - too strong for babies and NOT good for them. if this is a problem it would make sense why he would nurse at night because we dont often wear these things to bed.

hope this gives you some thing to think about.
    kim

Hi there, you may want to check out the allergy forum here on the site. Also, some babies go through a spitting up faze. Did you say that he is fussy when he spits up? Have you consulted with you doctor?

Hi Momtoboys,
    I have the same problem with my 5 week old son. He started crying at the breast at 2.5 weeks and it has progressively gotten worse. I can't figure out what the problem is either. I have thought it was due to nipple preference, then OALD or slow-let down or possible ear infection. So far, I've determined that at any given feeding, he is particular as to the his flow preference and will cry if it isn't "just right." Have you discovered anything with your son? Have you completely ruled out food allergy or acid reflux? I'm now looking into the possibility that it's reflux... he doesn't spit up much either, but he sometimes seems that he's in such pain during a nursing. Any update as to your situation or anything you've learned about what it could be?

I have since cut out all traces of dairy and soy. I have noticed a big difference. My son actually almost never spit up. He does a little now though. I have gone from crying and very short feedings every 2 hours to full feedings every 4-5 hours. He still gets wicked gas about 5-10 minutes after he eats but at least he is getting full feedings now. I cut our diary and soy because I was told by my LC that 50% of babies allergic to milk are allergic to soy.

My DD has reflux and yes she did not spit up much or throw up at all. She had a lot of colic, squirming at the breast, would suck a few times then let go and cry then try to suck more. It was very tramatic for the both of us. The one thing that she should like seemed to be hurting her.

Doc put her on Axid for the reflux and after about 10 days, it helped significantly. She still has a few issues with "vurps"(vomit/burps) every once in a while after she eats but nothing ever comes up and it subsides quickly.

Brit