Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help - Running out of ideas

Unhappy Help - Running out of ideas

Hi,

DD is 11 weeks old tomorrow. About 2 weeks ago she began having difficulty napping during the day. I am lucky to get 1 good 2 1/2 hour nap...the rest are a half hour here and there. Naturally this makes her beyond cranky. She has also been having a harder and harder time nursing. Laying down, cradle hold, vertical on top of me...it doesn't seem to matter - she will fuss and cry and eventually I can get her to to latch on and hold it for a few minutes - long enough to gulp down milk, and then she begins pulling her head to one side, grabs the nipple back, pulls to the other side, grabs nipple back...the pattern continues until she gets frustrated and starts screaming. She saw the doctor last monday who said her ears looked good, she has had no diaper rash and no white in her mouth, I rarely and only briefly ever have breast pain, I haven't eaten anything spicy or unusual and she only had a slight fever on Tuesday (1 day after getting her Hib and Polio vaccines) which hasn't returned.

What really has me worried is that, while her diaper count seems ok (5 wet ones so far today and it is only 5pm and 2 poopy diapers - 1 being quite a "squeegie" as we call it) but she did not gain any weight between Monday and Thursday. We weigh her every Thursday and Sunday to make sure she is gaining. Up until this week her average gain per week has been 7 ounces. And then from Sunday of last week until this past Thursday she gained nothing. Her digestive system seems to be maturing a bit the last couple of weeks as her diapers got less liquidy and a bit more thick, but they are still a bit seedy and always the same color. I did start doing weight watchers for nursing moms 3 weeks ago, so I don't know if I'm doing something wrong there or what but between almost trying to force her head to stay on the nipple so she will eat and even struggling to get her asleep while laying down with her (forget the swing or any other "Easy" method) my head feels like it is spinning trying to figure out what is wrong or what to do. This afternoon the only way I got her calm enough to sleep was to literally just jump back and forth from one breast to the other and so on until she conked out. I need a magic machine to make sure my milk supply is good and her digestive system is good and then a genie to tell me what the heck is going on. It makes me want to cry sometimes trying so many ideas that just result in a crying baby. I thought maybe it is my supply, but she will fuss and cry and such even before she latches. I thought maybe OALD, but I've tried laying down and her above me...no improvement.

Any help is much appreciated. I'm losing my senses trying to figure out what to do. Sorry this got so long. If I can't figure anything out by Thursday, we go back to the doctors for her DTaP and PCV vaccines, so I can ask then, but that is another 5 days from now.
    Thanks

Katherine
    Katherine
    DD - Cecilia Bernadette - 1/29/06

DD - Felicity Catherine - 11/19/07
    The Whispering Rose

The Journey of a New Life

Default Re: Help - Running out of ideas

Hi Katherine,

I would see if you could hold back on the vaccination schedule or spread them out a little until the problem subsides. It may not be imperative for your doctor to have the vaccinations done a few weeks later or only one at a time. I am just thinking until your daughter gets over whatever issues she is having you might just want to keep things a little easy on her system.

Also, she is probably just going through a funny phase. I know that does not help now. When I was nursing my son he went through some funny changes sometimes and I always had the same worries you did but then it would subside. They all just have there own personalities. But, as you probably already know, you will want to make sure she is getting the hind milk. You said you were switching her back and forth so that would be the only thing I would try to do is keep her on one breast a little longer to make sure you get a good let down. Take care..Bobbie

Hey Katherine,

Hugs to you -- you sound so frustrated, and no wonder! I don't have any magic insight or quick answers, but I do want to offer encouragement.

About the weight gain -- I think Monday to Thursday is too short a time period to get a dependable picture of her weight gain. Even a newborn who is having nursing problems will get only weekly weight checks, and by 11 weeks the rate of gain will typically begin to slow down. So don't panic over no weight gain in 3 days' time at 11 weeks.

Her fussiness at the breast -- it could be caused by any number of things. Reflux? Thrush is still a possibility even without visible white patches. Could be nipple preference -- has she had any bottles at all? Or, as Bobbie mentioned, it could be just one of those mysterious baby phases that come and go in their own good time.

The nap thing -- this is probably just the result of her gradual maturation. As a baby approaches the 3-month mark, they start to "notice" more and become distractible, may be woken by noises that previously they slept through, etc. She's still getting one good nap a day, and probably in time those little 1/2-hour catnaps will sort of coalesce into another longish stretch as well. It's frustrating for momma, but not necessarily a sign of any problem.

Could you visit a LLL group and get some ideas and support from the Leaders and other moms? I suspect that mostly you need reassurance that you're not doing anything wrong and that this too shall pass.

--Rebecca

Thanks for your responses.

No, she has never had a bottle.
    I do attend a LLL group but they don't meet again until May.
    The main reason we didn't want to hold off on vax is that we will be going on a 3 week vacation including Disney World and considering the number of people, we thought it would be good for her to have started all her vax before going. Also, this mess started before she got vax, so I don't think any of it is side effects.

Update - we weighed her this morning and she gained 6 ounces...go figure. That makes me feel a little better. BUT...

Last night was a terror. After she spent about an hour in her baby bjorn absolutely loving it as long as I kept moving, we went to get ready for bed and the fussiness began. She was screaming her head off, I couldn't get her on the breast, etc. For over a half hour we struggled. DH took her to change her diaper, laid her down and she hushed and began smiling. So he stood there a moment smiling and talking to her. It lasted through the diaper change and about 5 minutes after and then the screaming began again. So I took her and walked around the apartment, which she enjoyed until we got back to the bedroom and the crying began again. Total it took us over 2 hours to get her to calm down, nurse and go to sleep, and that was after she and I stripped (it was the last thought we had) and slept side by side. We always cosleep, so the only difference was lack of clothes and probably how tired she was by then, but good grief! By then I refused to move to try to keep her from waking up. So she conked out around 10, then woke and nursed around 1:30, then slept, then woke and nursed around 4. The struggle began again from about 5 until 7:30 when she was fuss in her sleep, then sleep peacefully and go back and forth and back and forth. i DID manage to get her to sleep nurse (hee hee...what they don't know while they sleep!!!) quite well during this period since she was still mostly unconscious but this sleep-fussy period is new as well, or at least has worsened recently. I was in and out of sleep during this 2 1/2 hour span needing to go to the bathroom but afraid if I moved I'd wake her. She got up at 7:30/8 cheerful enough, got her weighing and bath and enjoyed her baby bjorn some and then conked out at the breast (didn't suck much before falling asleep) and is now in her swing sleeping. She has a big day today - 11am Easter mass and then she is getting Baptized this afternoon at 3 so I just hope the fussiness holds off.

We took her temperature last night and this mornin - no fevers.

I really hope this is just a phase, but if it is, how long will it last? It seems like there is little or nothing I can do to keep her happy although her current favorites seem to be her baby bjorn rides and practicing standing with support (I'm amazed considering how young she is but she loves it).

Much Thanks!
    Katherine

The Whispering Rose

http://www.babycenter.com has lots of great articles on baby sleep issues. just do a search there on sleep and so much will come up.
    it's really hard not knowing how much your baby eats, i know...that's the problem with breastfeeding - best for baby, often terrifying for mommy!!! LOL
    i'm probably bad for doing this, but my son has been getting fussier and fussier lately, and sometimes a little mouthful of gripe water does the trcik perfectly...

Hi,

Sorry you're having such a tough time with your little one, I can totally relate. Your problem sounds very similar to what my son went through at around the same age, he is now almost four months old. I took dairy out of my diet, and that helped out with his stomach quite a bit. I also found out from my ped that he had reflux. He fussed at the breast all the time and eventually he started refusing it all together. Believe me there were a few times my DH walked in to both of us in tears. But once we got the reflux issue settled it improved immensely. I don't know if this helps - Hang in there, it will get easier!

sounds alot like colic to me. Dr sears has some good stuff about fussy babies and colic, but you know your baby best.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp
    http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp
    you might want to look at the Fussy baby book from Sears.
    you could also just call your area lll leader to talk, they don't mind taking calls! She will be able to help before the next meeting.

babies that are carried more cry less.

The same thing happens to my 8 week old. Elaina REFUSES to sleep during the day- maybe she'll get in a few 1/2 hour naps when she can't fight it anymore and then she'll scream and scream and scream all night from being OVERtired and nothing will work, not even the cure all breast. She gets so overstimulated during the day from just looking around. She LOVES the baby bjorn and will often fall alseep once she's in it so I've been trying to put her in it and go for two 1 hour walks to force her to nap. It gets me walking and her sleeping!

I am hoping that this is a phase like people suggested. Its horrible and frustrating so I am sending lots of hugs and some extra magic patience!

Diana

Well, DD still has plenty of diapers. This morning she squeegied so much it went all up her back and out the sides onto my pants!
    She slept really well yesterday - 2 2 hour naps and 1 2 1/2 hour nap - but I don't know if that will continue or not. She had a VERY busy weekend seeing many new faces and being Baptized. I'm hoping these past couple of weeks were just a phase that is now over. I'd like to try to get her on a better schedule and see how it works or if it helps, but since few days are ever the same, I find it a bit difficult. She will also be getting 2 more vax shots Thursday so don't know how that will play out yet.
    She still won't sleep through the night though. I am luck if I get 4 or so hours at a time.
    Katherine

The Whispering Rose

I'm glad she had a more restful day yesterday -- and congratulations on her baptism!

Does it help at all to know that the unpredictability and the frequent waking at night is completely, completely normal for an infant? The blow-out diapers, too!

I know it's hard, but you're doing a great job! WTG Mom!

--Rebecca