Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Hives when Nursing?

Default Hives when Nursing?

My little angel will be 1 in 7 days and for the past 3 days she has been getting a hive like rash all over her head and torso every time she nurses. It fades within an hour of nursing. We have not had anything new to eat or drink in at least two weeks. We are starting to wean and we're currently down to 2 - 3 times a day. Any ideas what could be causing this? Should we get a little more intense on weaning and start introducing cows milk?

Default Re: Hives when Nursing?

Hmm. (thinking ...)

Could she be reacting to some kind of topical irritant, as opposed to something in your milk? Perhaps a lotion or perfume you use on yourself? It wouldn't necessarily be something you've just recently added to your routine, as sensitivities can develop at any time, from what I understand.

At any rate, I've never heard of hives triggered by nursing associated with weaning. I can't think why weaning would either start or be the best solution to this problem. So let's see if we can figure out another approach.

Have you called your daughter's doctor about this? If it's not bothering her, it may not require any treatment, but s/he may have some ideas about what's going on.

--Rebecca

I agree Rebecca that it's probably nothing in your milk, especially if you haven't changed your diet. Do you think that the weaning process itself could be causing your baby some anxiety and that is causing the hives? Maybe stop weaning and try again later?

Thanks so much for your speedy response. She really hasn't seemed to notice the missed nursing times. She does very well with having solids for breakfast and lunch instead of nursing. But I understand that anxiety isn't always obvoius. If it could be a soap that I'm using would it help to try pumping to see if this is the cause or would she still have the same reaction to it?
    Thanks again!

Well, at least the way I'm thinking of this, nursing in and of itself can't possibly be the cause of your daughter's hives. If it's a topical thing like your soap, then weaning or exclusively pumping isn't ultimately going to solve the problem -- surely you will still have skin-to-skin contact with your daughter through cuddles and snuggles, KWIM?

Do the breakouts bother her, or is it more a problem of they LOOK so alarming and you want them to stop? If she's uncomfortable, then call her doctor and see about treatment for the allergic reaction. If it doesn't seem to bother her, then I might take a wait-and-see approach, keep a record of when this started and how the breakouts seem to progress, and in the meantime start looking at the soaps and other cosmetic/toiletry type products you are using and think about what you could experiment with dropping or changing.

I'm curious to know how this situation goes for you two -- please keep us posted, okay?

--Rebecca