Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fussy, gassy, clingy baby

Question fussy, gassy, clingy baby

I have a 6 week old baby who is very fussy and gassy. She is also very clingy to me, which I'm not sure whether it is from being held too much or if she just thinks she needs me that much. She will not sleep in her bassinet at night, the only way that she (and I for that matter) gets any sleep is if I lay her on my chest to sleep at night. She seems to do fine there, but if I put her in her bed, she fusses instantly. I have begun to think that I may have an overabundant milk supply from what I've been reading on here and plan to try feeding from only one breast for a few hours to see if it helps with the fussy/gassy problem. I guess what I am looking for is some support and advice on how to 1. get her to sleep without me and 2. how to cope with the overabundant milk. Should I pump the side I'm not feeding from to prevent engorgement, or just let it regulate itself? Thanks for any help you can give!

Default Re: fussy, gassy, clingy baby

My son is almost 8 weeks and pretty much same probs. I discovered recently his fussiness and gassiness was due to me having dairy products. So I cut them out of my diet and hes doing much better. My son has also always fed from only one side per feeding. At beginning I couldnt get him to eat off other and now I hear that its better to feed from one side and not switch unless they want more when theyre done so they get the hindmilk. I only pump the other side when Im at my fullest in the morning ( to save and freeze). I heard not to pump though esp. if you have overabundant supply cause it will only cause you to make more milk. Im not lopsided or anything feeding off only one side at a time. I cant help you with the sleeping. He'll sleep in his bassinett during the day usually but no way at night. I just gave up and let him sleep with me. I actually enjoy it now, I just make sure hes on opposite side of my heavy sleeper husband and my son if he sneaks into bed with us

Smile Re: fussy, gassy, clingy baby

I just recently started feeding my 14 wk ds on one side due to OALD. I never really got engorged on the opposite side (however-the suggestion of pumping the other side in the morning is a GOOD idea I will have to start doing that). It has helped my son with his runny poops and inability to gain weight. I have not noticed any difference in his gas problems though. That may be a diet issue.
    In regards to the sleeping question-I had a cosleeper at night and a non-napper. I read two great books (I just checked them out from the library). "Secrets of the baby whisperer" by Tracy Hogg and "The No-cry sleep Solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. I used ideas from both books. Within a week I had my ds sleeping in his own crib and he then started sleeping 6-7 hours a night and takes about a 30-60 min nap 2-3 times a day. These books offered some great solutions.
    Hope this helps.

My dd did this same thing!!! She would wake up instantly if I put her down, so she actually slept on my arm nestled against my side for the first 8 weeks. Then, one night she rolled off my arm and fell right back asleep - and here I thought she'd be sleeping on my arm until she's two. She still cosleeps, but has gradually been able to sleep farther and farther from me without waking. I did try to put her in a side-cared crib a week ago and she was having none of it, though. Some say that if you push through that initial time of more night-wakings, they eventually get used to the crib. I just don't do well while sleep-deprived and I don't really mind my dd sleeping with me, so I've just let her stay. She is now 6 mos old and she only wakes up 1-2x a night while co-sleeping (I remember being really concerned about co-sleeping at first because I thought she would never sleep more than 2 hours, but she has sleep longer periods lately).
    At a mommy and me class we go to, they told us that it is very normal for a baby not to want to be put down when they are under 3 mos, because they don't really understand that they are separate from you. Also, if you think about it, they are too little to understand that they are safe away from you and you are their only link to the things they need, so it is quite natural that they wouldn't want to be put down. I also hate to sleep alone so I don't blame my dd for not wanting to either.
    It will get better, I promise - my daughter used to cry 3-4 hours a day, refuse to be put down, etc. and now while we're out everyone says what a "good baby" she is because she is quiet, alert, and happy to sit in a high chair or stroller now.

Post Re: fussy, gassy, clingy baby

Thank you ladies for the words of encouragement! I so needed those this morning!! I did the whole one sided nursing thing last night, and it went well, considering she was up every 2 hours to eat, the poor thing! Anyhow, at this point, things are not changed much, but I'm sure it will take a couple days for my milk to adjust. She actually slept in her bassinet right next to our bed for most of the night (maybe part of the reason she was up every 2 hours? ) and I finally just put her with me at 5 so I could get a bit more sleep. I am coming to the conclusion that she may just need to cosleep for a while longer....hopefully she'll grow out of it?? I'm just curious too, my first child was like this too...very very very fussy...but my second was a wonderful happy baby. With the first one and this one, I was on antibiotics during labor for a very long time for Group B strep...my second, they barely got one round in me before I had her...could all those antibiotics have killed all the good bacteria in their little digestive tracts helping to cause some of these issues? maybe it is just coincidence, but it just struck me last night that maybe there is some connection. Anyhow...thanks, and keep the info coming!

are your older childern senstive to foods? Some moms find that when they cut out dairy (or other things) the less their babies cry.
    Do you have a sling to use during the day, babies that are carried cry less also.
    you could be right about the anti-botics!

dd was the same way, I just allowed her to cosleep (we still do most nights) and she eventually grew out of always having to be held although she does still always want to be is the same room with me. 6 weeks is also a normal time for a growth spurt, my dd was always super fussy during those and I found it easier just to let her nurse herself to sleep (she still does that most of the time. I also found cosleeping helpful on the sleep deprovation, dd is 7 months now and I sleep topless so when she gets hungry all she has to do is roll over and latch herself on, I don't even have to get up anymore (unless it is a night that I started her in the crib). Of course some nights ds will crawl into bed with us and sometimes I wake up with dd on one breast and ds behind me, laying over my side nursing on the other side. But extended nursing doesn't bother me. A lot of it just has to do what you are comfortable with. A lot of moms I know co sleep and then around 3 months start putting db to sleep in crib and they gradually sleep for longer and longer periods in their cribs until they stay all night there.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

I do have to admit.....although ds sleeps in his own crib the beginning of this week I had to let him cosleep because I think he was going through a growth spurt and I was sooo sleep deprived. He slept with me for 2 days straight so that I could function properly at work. My dh was worried he would not go to sleep in his crib after that. To his suprise....he has been back to sleep in his crib for the last 2 nights.
    Don't worry, your milk supply will catch up to your one sided feedings. Mine did in a couple of days.
    Keep it up your doing great!!!

Wow I am glad I found this place, I was doing a search on google for clingy babies, y'all have given me a lot of insight! People were getting on my case saying you are spoilng him you'll be sorry... but my goodness, you are right, they DON'T know much else right now and he DOES need me! I mean I felt this way anyways, but it's good to see someone who agrees with me instead of wanting to criticize me!

my DS is 10 weeks and at 8 weeks when he was strong enough to turn his head we put him to sleep on his tummy!

but he is ssoooooooo much better now! I think the pressure on his tummy helps the gassiness.