Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone b/f 19 months or older?

Red face Anyone b/f 19 months or older?

Hi Ladies, i am still b/f my now 19 month old. I really want to wean because i want to get pregnant again and need to go on fertility meds, but love the bond i share with my daughter. She is so attached to the boob. She generally nurses to nap and bedtime. And we cosleep so sometimes she wakes for a snack. I was weaning her around 16 months becasue i was pregnant it was going well,then i had a miscarriage and my milk came back full force which made DD want it even more. So here is the problem, dd never took a pacifier, does not have a comfort object and refuses to take a drink of milk when she is thirsty. The boob has becoming such a habit she needs it to put herself to sleep. I do not believe in the crying it out, but have let her cry a little while i rubbed her back and told story's anyone have any advice on weaning? I tried telling her they are sleeping or mom's boobies are closed LOL, but she just trys to lift up my shirt? Uggg. thanks in advance

Default Re: Anyone b/f 19 months or older?

No advice, but just wanted to let you know that I am nursing my 18 month old DS. I'm 22 weeks pregnant with #2 and he has showed no signs of slowing down, I plan on tandem nursing after the baby is born.

Good luck!

I have heard of the "boobies are asleep" strategy before, but usually for older children. I don't think I have known it to work on a child under 2.
    I remember wanting so much to have a second baby, so I am not saying this in a dismissive way, but it is sometimes helpful to put things in a little perspective. Even if you are an "older mom", a couple of months to wean your daughter gradually and with love will be time well spent. When her sibling eventually gets here, having had a strong bond, and not having a rushed weaning, will really help her adjust to her new sibling.

To get her to sleep without nursing, you might want to get her used to falling asleep without it. I accidentally weaned my son from falling asleep at the breast when he was two. We were on vacation and driving quite a bit. He fell asleep in the car for every nap, and nearly every bedtime. When we got home, he nursed to sleep occasionally, but more and more often he would fall asleep during our reading time in bed. And very soon, he fell asleep every time while reading.

You might want to set up a routine that does include nursing, like take bath, get in bed, read books (Long boring ones are best), and then nurse. Then you can spend longer and longer time on the book, hoping she will fall asleep. Even if she doesn't do it right away , it will set it up in her mind as part of bedtime, so when she is weaned, she will have a routine she is familiar with to comfort her.

that's how I weaned my 9 year old when he was a baby. With a long story everynight.
    My dd will be 3 in JUne and she is slowly weaning.
    I'm not in any hury.

"Num Nums are asleep" worked for my son at 18 months old, but it depends on the child.

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

REading long stories until DD fell asleep helped... we had already moved her to a full sized bed in another room by that point, though... I'm not sure how well it works for co-sleeping... Basically, we found that the availability was part of the problem...

Have you seen the night weaning article by Dr. Jay Gordon? it's for co-sleeping parents, if I'm not mistaken...

http://www.drjaygordon.com/development/ap/sleep.asp

Also, I had fertility problems with my first and had to use clomid to get PG. I honestly did not believe that I'd be able to get PG again without it. We tried from the time that DD was 2 until she was a little over 3 and didn't get PG and I was still nursing. Then, we went to the OB and got the Rx for the clomid. I waited for my period to start so that I could start the clomid and it never started... I was already PG... So, it IS possible...

Jacqui

I am actually still breastfeeding my 25 monthold little boy and he eats regular food but i have the same problem with milk he won't touch it. he b-fs for naps and to go to sleep at night. I am actually looking for a good way to wean as well.

Thanks ladies for the responses, i will try the book reading.

Jacqui-thanks too, i have to do injections and be on baby aspirin and Metaformin due to PCOS and MTHFR, so i can't get pregnant without because i usually end up with a m/c, i have already had 3 so we have to be "careful" when i am usually "Oing"

LLLJacqui is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

So sorry that you have to go through so much... it's pretty overwhelming going down the whole IF path...

Jacqui

No advice. Just wanted to wish you the best of luck!