Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Input on how to start solids

Default Input on how to start solids

I don't plan on starting solids until DD is 6 mos at earliest (she is 5 now) but wanted to get some info ahead of time on easiest way to do it & what to give. I've heard that cereal is very constipating & not the most nutritious anyway so was going to start with avocado or veggies instead. ANyone do this ? Also when you started did you just start with one meal or all three? She is at daycare 3 days & they have their own food (cereal, veggies, fruit etc..) but at first I thought I'd start her on solids at dinner with us & then work up to other meals? Any suggestions would be appreciated!!

Thanks
    Sheila

Default Re: Input on how to start solids

Sheila, I'm on the same page. My ds is 4 mo and I have no clue regarding solids. Always good to know in advance. Thanks for asking this great question.

my dd is now 7.5 months and i started her at 6 months. so i'm pretty close to this.

i started her with a little rice cereal (1 tbs w/ 2-3 oz ebm; v. watery) once a day for a week. then i started with 1 tbs of sweet potato to go with the cereal. from here i let her take the lead--if she was hungry, i'd feed her more. every 3 days i tried a new food, starting with veggies and working toward sweet fruits. it took a while but now she eats 3 small meals of solids each day :
    breakfast: yogurt (soy--ok 'd by our doctor) and fruit

Lunch: cereal and veggie

Dinner: veggie and fruit

Cereal does constipate her so I don't offer too much of this.

BM is still the staple of her diet and she doesn't eat more than a couple of tablespoons of solids at each meal. I always nurse before offering solids too. In my opinion, the first six months are just about exposing her to different tastes and textures. We are starting to move toward coarser foods now, pieces of banana and avocado. In another week I'm going to try some finger foods--squashed tofu, peas, lentils and see where it goes. It is an adventure, have fun!

Mashing some banana and avocado is fun, too! Some experts suggest starting one new food in a one week time span in case there is allergy, it is supposedly simpler to identify that way, rather than starting a wide variety right off the bat. Remember that simpler is better for your baby. Fresh fruits and veggies can be steamed and mashed and it's completely unnecessary to purchase jarred baby foods in the market.

When my ds turned 4 mo his dr. advised me to start him on rice cereal and if everything goes well to give green veggies. I am still waiting until he turns 6 mo to introduce solids. Do you have to introduce rice cereal first or can you introduce something else? I've read that the iron in the cereal can interfere with the iron in bm. Also, can you give bb mashed potatoes w/ meat and pureed in food procesor or is meat to early to introduce at 6 mo? I read in the book What to Expect in the First Year that there is a time table as to when to introduce certain foods. For example:
    4-6 mo: rice cereal
    6 mo: cereal, fruits, green
    7-8 mo: meat, avocado & egg yolk
    9 mo: yogurt, cheese, pasta, beans & tofu

Has anyone offered these before this time table? Would it be wrong too?

Thanks!

Hi Ladies!
    What a fun and exciting time for your babies! Here is a link to some great information on starting solids:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBMayJun99p86.html

Please check it out and let me know what you think! It is important to remember that solids are for fun and experimentation. Babies should be allowed to choose them, or not. And waiting until they are at least 6 mos. is a good way to allow them this choice. Imagine laying in a partial reclining position and having someone spoon feed pureed foods into your mouth whether you really wanted them or not. Now, look at your babies and watch how interested and challenged they will be by choosing (or not!) to pick up small bits of soft foods as they sit up with you at the table. What a wonderful way to introduce babies to the world of "other foods besides breastmilk"!

Since you have waited til your babies are older, there is really not much a need for baby cereals or pureed foods. Those were developed by baby food manufacturers back when moms were told to start solids at 6 weeks. They were necessary for 6-week-old babies, but not really needed for older babies! Some moms do find them to be convenient at times, and some babies enjoy them, but again, they are not really necessary.

Way to go with doing so well by your babies and keep up the good work!