Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: pumping/expressing while in labor

Default Re: pumping/expressing while in labor

Get your husband/partner to help too. He can make sure they don't give the baby a paci or bottle.

Thanks, ladies. I just did some research and in my state (TX), hospitals MUST get my informed consent for non-life essential procedures on my newborn. This goes right in the face of what I just heard from the L&D nurse I talked to on the phone today!

I am making an appt. with our pediatrician (who is very pro-breastfeeding) so that I can have his writen order for refusal of all artificial nipples, formula and glucose water.

I am just so angry that this hospital behaves like this. When I gave birth to my daughter, they did not even let me hold her before they took her to the non-NICU nursery for 8 HOURS! where they gave her glucose water, formula in bottles and a pacifier. Needless to say, coupled with the non-support of the postpartum nurses, my start with breastfeeding was horrible. I was so tense, stressed out and miserable. I had one nurse tell me that I was not providing adequate breastmilk for my baby based only on the fact that she had nursed only 10 minutes! They had me convinced that after each nursing session I was to give her formula.

I plan to breastfeed my son, and I will be prepared to fight the battle at the hospital! My husband is very supportive, and now that we are educated, he is going to be my advocate there so I don't get upset and tense--the last thing I need to establish breastfeeding!

Thanks for all your support! I am going to my first LLL meeting next month & I can't wait to get lots of phone numbers for support. LLL ROCKS!!

Sorry to see your hospital is so unsupportive.

In addition to refusing things like artificial nipples, formula and glucose water - you may want to think about having the baby stay in your room with you rather than be sent off to a nursery.

The hospital where I delivered they did all the newborn checks in the labor & delivery room with me so I could see and hear what was going on. My hospital also had a default rooming-in policy which I loved.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Yes--I am grateful that I can room-in with my lo at the hospital, so that's one thing they have going for them!

Hi liebchen! Previous posters are right: you have the right to refuse non-emergency procedures. There's no medical reason to immediately weigh or wash a healthy newborn, or to warm it in a baby warmer instead of by skin to skin contact with mom. You can also delay eye ointment (if it's mandatory in your state) by an hour or more, allowing your baby to experience the world outside with clear eyes. This website, http://www.motherfriendly.org/ has a lot of useful information.

It helps to work with your OB and labor and delivery nurses ahead of time, and let them know what you want to achieve. I've heard that distributing copies of a birth plan helps. Good luck!

Good for you for doing your research and making plans ahead of time mama! I hope all goes well. Keep us posted!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

We're supporting you 100%! Good job mama!
    I also want to add, just an FYI, in addition to this ridiculous practice interfering with BFing, it also it TOTALLY unnecessary IMO because the baby does not NEED to eat much for at least a couple of days after birth. Why on Earth would they take the baby away to do this test??
    It's great that you're going to be able to room in with your new baby.
    Don't let them get you down. This is an exciting time for you!

Molly

Loving mama to JP (DS, 1/03 ~ nursed 6 mos), EL (DD1, 9/05 ~ nursed 4 yrs), EJ (DD2, 3/08 ~ nursed 3 yrs 9 mos), and
    JM (DD3, 6/12 ~ currently nursing), all born naturally
    Devoted wife to SAHD P, my hero
    A few of my favorite things that I've discovered on the forum: co-sleeping, baby-wearing, tandem nursing, baby-led solids, cloth diapering, APing, selective vaccination...the list goes on

UPDATE:

Hi ladies! Thanks for all the support! I just wanted to tell you that I've convinced my husband that the best thing I can do for our son is give birth to him with a midwife and doula at a free standing birth center--the only place that I can be sure that I won't be separtated from my baby and can breastfeed right away. I'm planning a waterbirth & I am so excited!

With this new development, my LLL meetings & contacts and you ladies here on this board, I know that I will have the best possible start for breastfeeding my son.

Quote Originally Posted by Mummy View Post

I have to ask, were did you get your name from, as it is Sweetie in German, are you German?
    Ich nahm Deutschen in der High School und in der Hochschule. Ich liebe gerade die Sprache! Ich bin nicht, zwar deutsch.

Quote Originally Posted by liebchen77 View Post
    UPDATE:

Hi ladies! Thanks for all the support! I just wanted to tell you that I've convinced my husband that the best thing I can do for our son is give birth to him with a midwife and doula at a free standing birth center--the only place that I can be sure that I won't be separtated from my baby and can breastfeed right away. I'm planning a waterbirth & I am so excited!

With this new development, my LLL meetings & contacts and you ladies here on this board, I know that I will have the best possible start for breastfeeding my son.
    WHOOOHOOOO!!!

You've probably said, but I have bad mommy brain. When are you due?
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!