Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pumping/expressing while in labor

Default pumping/expressing while in labor

I just spoke to the nursery nurse at the hospital where I'll be delivering & she told me that it is hospital policy to give the newborns formula or glucose water in the nursery to check swallowing reflex--I asked if I could express or pump some breastmilk for this & she said yes.

Do you think I could actually pump during labor for this or maybe right after the birth? Do you think I would actually need a pump?

Default Re: pumping/expressing while in labor

This seems odd, but I would think the hospital could check it by watching nursing. You can see and hear little gulps while the baby is swallowing estrogen. I have never heard this practice before.

Sometimes I feel as though Doctors, nurses, etc. tell you as if you don't have a choice. Perhaps if you explain that you want the baby adjusted to the breast first, and kind of tell them in a nice way that this is how you will be doing it. Just an idea, I never heard of that before either.

Yeah, that's a hospital policy that needs some changing. Stick to your guns. It's your baby and you pay the bills.

If have been reading a book recently called"IMpact of birthing practices on breastfeeding" by Mary kroeger(see LLL books). She strongly feels that this practise has a negative effect on bfing. it never happens in the U.K. I don't understand why is should happen in the USA?
    The baby is yours and surely it is your choice what your baby consumes, when and how.
    If it was me I would refuse. Surely as a pp said someone can watch you feed you lo his/her first feed to check that they are not choking.
    Good luck on your impending arrival
    Amanda

I'm not sure you'll have the energy and effort left over for pumping during labor Besides, you won't get much of anything, since your milk will not be in. You would only get some colostrum, and many moms only get a few drops of that.

But that policy is WEIRD. I would be 100000% AGAINST it. I've NEVER heard of anything like that before. Can't they just watch and listen to your baby nurse??? That's ridiculous.

Is it too late to find somewhere else to deliver? If they have such un-breastfeeding friendly policies, I'm not sure I'd want to go there.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

lol pumping will be the last thing you will wont to do while in labour and I dont think you would be able to do it succesfully as you need to be relaxed.

Though I wouldnt take a blind bit of notice of what the docs say its your baby! so you do what you want, not what they want

Thanks for the support. I haven't spoken to my OB yet, but I plan on reviewing my Birth Plan with him as well as my concerns. I'm also planning on speaking with our pediatrician about maybe getting something in writing from him--I am trying to make sure that my birth happens the way I want, which is the best for my baby.

Do I have the right to refuse any non-emergency procedures for my son? Last time they made me feel like I had no choice.

I wish I could deliver somewhere else, but my husband is not comfortable with birthing centers, and I love my OB--he is very supportive. I just hate the hospital!

You, as the parent, as far as I know, have the right to refuse any procedure, particularly non-emergency ones. Someone else hear may have proof to back that, but I know in my heart that no one else can tell me how to care for my child if I'm not endangering him. Besides, all the videos in my childbirth class were very much for telling your hospital staff to postpone any non-emergency procedures until after breastfeeding the first time.

Does this hospital let the baby room-in with you, or do they take it away to the nursery?

Basically, you DO have the right to refuse procedures. Unless baby isn't breathing and it's life threatening, you can say how your baby is to be taken care of.

Definitely do talk to your doc and pedi. I would steadfastly refuse the "swallow" test. That is the most ridiculous test I've ever heard of. Obviously, it isn't a standard test, or many of us on the forum would have heard of it.

Lisa