Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: getting very frustrated

Default getting very frustrated

I gave birth to my first child only one week ago. I have been breastfeeding him for only a few days now, but I am starting to get very frustrated. My nipples do not stick out like they should so I have been wearing shells to help pull them out since leaving the hospital. That has helped a lot in the nursing process, but my problem is that those first fews days at the hospital I did not have any milk and constantly trying to feed my baby made my nipples sore. Now that I'm home his latch is great and he's eating but my left nipple has what looks like a callus on it and feeding is extremly painful. Any suggestions as to fix this would be greatly appreciated. I am feeling very frustrated about breastfeeding and b/c of the pain on the one side am starting to rethink all this. Please help!

Default Re: getting very frustrated

i used the Lansinoh brand of lanolin after each feeding and it helped greatly to reduce the soreness. plus-- i used shells between feedings to guard against further irritation. the first week or two is a tough period i know--but the soreness does fade away (so long as the latch is good). you are doing such a wonderful thing for your baby by breastfeeding. it does get easier-- just take it one day at a time...

the first few weeks are the hardest - it is so sad to see girls quit during this time because of the joy that continued nursing will become after this learning period.

i am nursing my 3 wo now and it has been a hard road for us - even after nursing 2 other kids with NO problems. i could hardly believe how much i wanted to quit as b/f was always sooo important to me and a joy to do. now, after having some problems at the beginning i can understand why so many women quit within the first 3 weeks. but now that he is latching on without pain and my nipple is starting to heal i am so glad that i resisted the urge to give up.

however, if you decide you cannot go on please dont burden yourself with quilt - every nursing session a baby gets is beneficial!
    kim

oh, one more thing....

i had/have a "bad" nipple too. and i found that when the nipple was the most beat up and sore i spent a day and a half nursing on the "good" side and pumping on the "bad" to give that side a break. it really helped my nipple to heal just enough to get better because it wasnt being "used" for a little while. this may help.

lansinol is also a good suggestion.
    kim

you should contact a lll leader or a lc and have them look at the babies latch.
    I second the Lansinoh brand of lanolin. If your having lots of pain something isn't right and the sooner you fix it the beter for you and the baby.

go to the la leche league web site and look up nipple problems
    there is a bunch of information that will help.

good luck
    I hope you are fealing beter soon.

Another thing you may want to try is "soothies"... they worked wonders for me during those first few weeks...