Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: LO has difficulty with BM

Default LO has difficulty with BM

My LO has difficulty with his BM especially in the AM. Lately he has been waking up at 6 am and it takes until about 8:30 - 9 am for us to work it out. I lay him on his stomach and pat and rub his back.... I do his little legs like a bicycle, and push and hold his legs for a few minutes. I rub his belly, I breast feed him frequently as this calms him and also because he use to have a BM every time a breast fed. I am blessed as he is not really a crier, so he doesn't cry but he grunts and whines so I know it is bothering him. I thought it may be all the dairy I was eating so I stopped eating cheese, yogurt, and replaced my milk for cereal, coffee and protein shakes with soy milk. But from what I can read, that is for colic problems not BM. I know that this is the age when they do struggle with BM (6 weeks today) Does it get better or should I be concerned?

Default Re: LO has difficulty with BM

If you think its gas, try Mylicon drops. You can buy them in a pharmacy anywhere. They are totaly safe, and they even work sometimes! The gas thing is mostly because their digestive system is still immature. I read you took out dairy, and I would like to mention to you that it takes two weeks to fully exit your body. Also, its pretty normal. It will get better.
    Last edited by carpentergirl; January 23rd, 2007 at 02:55 AM.

if his bm's are soft then I would venture to say he is not constipated - but that it is indeed a gastro issue. OR - sometimes babies just whine and grunt and it means nothing!

Good luck
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

6 weeks is not the age they strugge with it. 6weeks is when their digestive tracts begin to mature to the point where they stop going every time they eat. Once their digestive tracts mature, Breastfed babies can and often DO go a week or longer WITHOUT a BM. And it's totally normal and fine. Don't worry. I know it's hard to do because you can't believe this person who up until now was going poop 3 or 5 times a day can now NOT go all day or LONGER and NOT be uncomfortable. But it is true. It's also true that we as new mothers never believe it. So you heard it here 1st. Try not to worry and you cetainly don't have to eliminate anything from your diet! There is no such thing as a constipated Breast Fed baby! It's just another perk! Sometimes you don't have to change poopy diapers everyday!

Way too lazy for formula

4-5 weeks is when my DS started getting really annoyed by the gas. He would wake up squirming, grunting, and crying (wish I was blessed with a non-crier like yours )

Mylicon drops didn't seem to help. But when the bicycling, tummy massage, etc doesn't work. I give it another try. I've also tried Hyland's Colic tablets. It kind of helps calm him down a little to be able to deal with it or sleep.

I've noticed now, at 7 weeks, it doesn't bother him as much. He still has it, but he's dealing with it a little better.

Also I've read that babies who are sensitive to dairy are also sensitive to soy. I've switched to rice milk.

Lyn
    Last edited by @llli*danlynclark; January 23rd, 2007 at 05:00 PM.

Oh, yeah... this sounds familiar. We bought the gas drops and gripe water because he just couldn't get the gas out on his own. I did the bicycling and the rubbing and the patting and everything. Now he's 4mo and burps all on his own after eating. It's very nice. They do outgrow it, but you can try the drops and hope they work.

Thanks everyone.... believe it or not, I think just my being concious of the dairy that I am eating and cutting 90% of it out and switching to Soy is really starting to help (or he is learning how to deal with it)... we played the game this morning, but it wasn't has bad and he seems to be havng an easier time with it. So either he is getting better at digestion or my diet changes are helping... we will have to see.

My baby would scream with bowel movements starting around 1 week old. The doctor told me to put karo syrup on a passy a few times a day, I did and she hasn't had that problem since.