Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: YoBaby Organic Yogurt

Default Re: YoBaby Organic Yogurt

It seems like the Stoneyfields has more sugar than regular other brands. I bought some kind and it has only like 6g of sugar. It says it has no added sugar. Its not organic though. I looked at the organic but it had more grams of sugar...why would that be??

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

I found a large container of Dannon plain yogurt... not low fat or non fat... sugar was 12g for a full cup... so for the 4 ozs that a YoBaby container is, it would be 6g... i add blueberries or banana for flavor... or a teaspoon of the YoBaby vanilla or banana....
    Last edited by marie1965; January 24th, 2007 at 04:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleina's_Mom View Post
    YoBaby is made by Stonyfield Farms...

the plain yogurt has 12g of sugar as opposed to 14-16g of sugar in the YoBaby yogurt. the organic plain yogurt has 11g of sugar.

i give dd YoBaby and she loves it. she eats a one 4oz container in 3-4 different sittings as part of her meal (breakfast or lunch) and then sometimes as part of her afternoon snack.
    So the plain has only a few grams less of sugar? That seems kind of weird to me. Do they just add sugar to the plain as well? I am kind of confused now. hehe

My point was why would anyone want their 6or7month old to have 12 or 14 or 17grams of sugar? Milled sugar. It's not from the fruit or yogurt. They add that sugar. IMO that doesn't count as a "Healthy" Snack for an infant....

Way too lazy for formula

Gosh.. why would they just add sugar to a BABY product?? that is ridiculous. I always assumed it was from the fruit.
    I can't get my daughter to eat the regular stuff. Maybe I will try mixing it a little to wean her off of the sweet taste. I give it to her when she has yeast infections and it seems to help.
    Last edited by Toadstool; January 24th, 2007 at 02:10 PM.

If you have time to mix your own yogurt, that's great, but for us working-outside-of-the-home moms, yo baby is a great alternative. Yes, I wish it had less sugar, but sugar per se isn't the great Satan. High fructose corn syrup is the real bad guy, and it is in nearly every yogurt out there that is marketed to kids (e.g. go-gurt). You have to pick your battles.

On a related note, on another thread like this, someone mentioned Brown Cow yogurt as being a good alternative to Yo Baby. I looked for it today at my local health store and they only had the low fat variety. I'd like to try it.

Interestingly, when we were in Italy last year visiting my husband's family, I had absolutely no problem finding whole milk yogurt. In fact, it's pretty darn hard to find low fat yogurt in the markets. And Italians are not fat! Hmmmmm....

I have to second the pp thoughts on high fructose corn syrup. It really is in everything these days. I even have trouble finding whole grain bread without it. I give my daughter yo baby and brown cow yogurt. She also loves smoothies with plain yogurt and some fruit. in response to the original post I would hold off on yogurt until a year. Ounce for ounce breastmilk has better fat for brain and body development. Even organic milk has naturally occurring hormones and be difficult to digest even in yogurt. If you are looking for a probiotic advantage there are other options as well. Of course I base this on my own experiences and hearing others really helps me see how many different options there are. Like anything else make the decision that is right for your Lo and your family.

Mama to DD Mariah 04/03 2lbs 8oz BF 2yrs 1 day!
    DS Ryan 07/06 4lbs 15 oz No solids until 18 mo's!
    "You must be the change you wish to see in the world" Gandhi

I agree that that High Fructose Corn syrup is WORSE than real sugar for all of us. I wasn't suggesting that anyone make their own yogurt. I was suggesting that if you have a baby under a year of age your forgo food with added sugar period. Regardless of whether or not you work outside the home. Like I stated IMO anything with added sugar is NOT a healthy snack. An alternative to yogurt with corn syrup? Ok. But why not just fresh fruit period? That's sweet enough. Especially at an age when they are getting everything they need nutritionally from your Breast Milk? If you feel the need to give your infant dairy why not skim milk cheese? The OP was talking about a baby under one.

Way too lazy for formula

the package said that it's made with whole milk. Is it okay to give it to her?[/QUOTE]

You should always give your baby whole milk products when you give her dairy since the fat is necessary for their brain development.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
    So the plain has only a few grams less of sugar? That seems kind of weird to me. Do they just add sugar to the plain as well? I am kind of confused now. hehe
    Plain yogurt has sugar listed because lactose is sugar. If you look at the label on milk, you will see that it has a certain number of grams of sugar also. So it is naturally occurring sugar not added sugar.

I do agree that babies (or kids) do not need added sugar. A lot of those "kid" yogurts are nothing but added sugar and artificial colors.

Angela