Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I call it quits?

Question Should I call it quits?

My daughter is 5 1/2 weeks old now, and we are STILL having problems with BFing. (I posted our long story some time ago, and I'm not going to go over all of that again.) I met with a lactation consultant last week and I thought we were on the right track, but I can't get the latch to be pain free. It sill hurts 60-75% of the time. I am using all of the techniques suggested, but I can't seem to get her to latch the way she did with the LC's help. I don't know what else to do. I can't go on much longer with trying to BF, and pumping and bottlefeeding because it is just exhausting. And my 2 1/2 year old isn't getting much of my time. Please help!

Default Re: Should I call it quits?

You are only 5 1/2 weeks into it. For most women, the first 6 weeks are the toughest and that's without any additional issues such as latching/positioning. Try to hang in there -- go back to the LC if you need to and/or call a local LLL Leader and ask her to come over and help you. You'll get it! Try to remember that right now you can give your baby something perfect -- you probably won't always be able to do that

Your baby may have latching issues because she's being given a bottle. She may have nipple confusion which could be contributing to the nipple pain you're having. Have you thought about finger feeding or cup feeding instead of the bottle?

The good news is that about 25% of the time baby IS latching on properly so you know what a good latch feels like. Try to insist that baby latch on properly each and every time so that she learns the right way to do it.

Hang in there! You can do this and once you overcome these issues, you'll be really happy that you did!

Thanks for your response.

Don't you think if she was suffering from nipple confusion that she would refuse the breast and not latch on at all? She doesn't fight me when it comes to latching on, she still opens really wide and everything. I think that it is because we use the Playtex nurser bottles and she has to latch wide onto that nipple. Sometimes it doesn't hurt at first, but when the milk starts to flow she does something funky with her tongue to regulate it, and that hurts pretty bad. Also, when the milk is flowing she will make a clicking noise. I'm still BFing her 2-3 times per day, and letting my nipples "rest" in between by supplementing with bottles of EBM. Maybe that is just how we are going to have to make this work. It is just kind of disappointing because one of the things that I was looking forward to about BFing was not having to wash and sterilize bottles. Now, I'm BFing, pumping, and washing and sterilizing bottles. Plus, I have a 2 1/2 year old to care for, with a DH that works 10-12 hour days so I don't have much help.

I would see the LC again, but it costs $80 per hour. How much does it cost to meet with a LLL?

Thanks for all of the support ladies, you have definitely made this a bit easier.

Good news! LL leaders are free! An especially if you go to a meeting you can get lots of great advice from other moms and leaders.

First time round, it took me nine weeks before I was pain free. Hang in there, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Brittan
    Good news! LL leaders are free! An especially if you go to a meeting you can get lots of great advice from other moms and leaders.
    I second this! Before you call it quits, please visit a LLL group in your area or at least phone your local Leader, it could make a huge difference for you! LLLeaders & meetings are 100% free!

Don't give up!!! I had the same issues with my youngest boy. Do you have a "forceful" letdown? That's what I had and he tried to regulate it by thrusting with his tongue and incorrectly latching (a shallow latch). You can do a couple of things - pump a bit before you latch her on so the letdown is less forceful. Or you could nurse her with her on top of you. Lean back just a little and put her so her face is leaning toward your nipple. Doing that helps with the feeling of choking on a lot of milk coming out and the latch is much better.

Good luck! Just so you know, I stuck it out and it got better and better and now my boy is a pro

I also recommend getting free advice from a LLL group - I hope there is one in your area.

~Wendy

Don't you think if she was suffering from nipple confusion that she would refuse the breast and not latch on at all?
    No -- what I'm saying is that babies suck differently on a bottle, pacifier and breast. The pain you are experiencing could be because baby isn't sucking properly on your breast. Nipple confusion doesn't necessarily mean that baby would refuse the breast. It simply means that they are confused about how to suck properly on each different type of nipple.

How are you doing now?

Also, something to keep in mind -- a LC costs $80. You'd probably spend that in formula in one month alone. And as other's mentioned, LLL Leader's are free!

Please don't give up, and DEFINITELY find a local LLL leader!

I had excruciating pain every time my son nursed for about the first 8 weeks of his life. My local LLL leader helped me solve our latch and positioning issues, and a visit to a chiropractor helped him to be more comfortable in the proper nursing position. I also had an oversupply issue, and very forceful letdown, which contributed to my soreness. Having LLL help was a lifesaver for us!

Have you tried Lansinoh? It helped me to deal with the soreness so I could continue to breastfeed exclusively while my nipples healed.

One more possibility...you could have thrush (a yeast infection). Thrush causes not only nipple pain, but also pain in baby's mouth. Here is a link to LLL's FAQ on thrush and nipple soreness:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/thrush.html

Take Care, and don't give up! You can do it!

Tiana

Wow! You guys are great! Thanks for all of the advice. There is a LLL meeting in my area tommorrow morning, and depending on my DH's schedule (Don't want to bring 2 1/2 year old) I will attend. Will I be able to ask for BF assistance at the meeting?
    Just when I think that things are getting better, I get really sore again. Today, has been good so far. But, yesterday, I did a lot of bottlefeeding with EBM because we were out and about so much. The lactation consultant that I visited called my DD "Ms. Flexible" because of her ability to go back and forth from the breast and bottle, I guess I should be lucky she will take me at all anymore, huh? I can latch her onto the left side with hardly any pain, but the right side is a bit tricky. The right side is my "Big Producer" also, so maybe there is a let down problem there, I pump 2 ounces out of the left and 4-5 ounces out of the right. I have good luck laying down nursing her on the right side, but I can't lay down all day long.
    Thank you all for your support. I haven't given up yet.....