Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Returning to work soon.....won't take bottle

Default Returning to work soon.....won't take bottle

My son is 6 1/2 weeks old. My husband and I tried to give him a bottle of my expressed breast milk at 6 weeks. I will be returning to work soon and wanted to give him expressed breast milk when he will be away from me. We tried every, and I mean every, nipple and bottle out there. He wants nothing to do with them. When the bottle nipple is in his mouth, he just moves his tongue around as if he doesn't know what to do with it. He does the same thing with a pacifier.
    Please help. Any suggestions? What have you tried or heard of? We are desperate!!!!!!!! Thanks.

Default Re: Returning to work soon.....won't take bottle

The same thing happened to us and miraculously our DCP just gave DD a bottle and she took it, even though she would not take one from either myself or DH. When she eventually did start taking one from DH again he did have to almost force it into her mouth a bit. Now she takes one very well.

Have you tried all the bottles that you have purchased several times before moving on to the next? Are you nearby when LO is trying a bottle? I would suggest trying some bottles again, but trying them for several days in a row before giving up and moving on to the next one (my DD ended up liking the Avent bottles). Another thing you can do is go so far as to leave the house when LO tries a bottle. It is unbelievable how strong their sense of smell is. You could be two floors away and they can still smell you in the house.

I hope these suggestions will help you! Let us know and good luck!

I would suggest the same thing, leave the room and don't even let your lo hear your voice. Keep trying but dont try when your lo is ravenous and getting upset, rather try when she is almost due for a feed and nice and calm.

Have you tried peristaltic nipples? Both my lo's used Pidgeon nipples with wide necked bottles. They were also not crazy for pacifer's but pidgeon makes a pacifer that is based on the shape of the mother's nipple.

Yup, we went through hell with our girl too before I went back. She wanted nothing to do with a bottle. She'd scream herself to sleep every time we tried.

My mother was able to feed her a bottle every once in a while. Her trick was to hold her real close to her chest and rock back and forth while turning the bottle in her mouth. Our dcp noticed that at first while feeding her the bottle, if she looked away from our daughter she would drink but if she looked at her face while feeding, LO would stop drinking and cry...

this lasted on and off for about a month. One day she'd take one well and the next she'd starve herself before drinking from one. Now she takes them just fine but not when I'm around. Hope this helps.

At 6 weeks my husband would give the baby a bottle about twice a week just to get him use to it in case I was even out. He took it just fine then all of a sudden at 8 weeks he stopped -
    This weekend he just started taking them again. I would suggest just keep offering it to him and eventually he will take it.
    We did notice he would not take the bottle if he could hear my voice or tell that I was in the room.

Good luck and hang in there!

I am in the same position. My son is 6+ weeks and I left him with my aunt yesterday (only an hour) because she will be providing care while I am at work. We just assumed he would take a bottle, because our other boys did. Big surprise! I am on my second type of bottle (Dr. Brown's) now. He is just gumming the nipple and not sucking, swirling his tounge around, and looks like trying to chew it!
    I am unsure what to do. I am seriously depressed about returning to work.

My baby is doing the exact same thing. I have decided it has nothing to do with what bottle/nipple we are using. He just doesn't get it. It isn't as if he is refusing the bottle either. He doesn't cry when we give him the bottle or seem upset when we do. He will take the nipple in his mouth, but gums it like your son. He is just confused and I am not sure what else to do. I now that everyone keeps telling me to keep trying with bottle, but it seems as if he will never take it. We have been trying a bottle twice a day for the last week without any improvement. He just wants the breast. Unfortunately, I have to return to work. I am stressed and depressed about returning to work.