Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems Latching my Baby...

Red face Problems Latching my Baby...

Hi everyone,

I'm writing this in desperation...My newborn Sophia only has 4 days in this world, and is changing my life in ways I couldn't have imagined. One of those is breastfeeding. I had an epidural at labor, and my body now feels like it was bulldozed by a tractor trailer. My milk is coming in, which is great, but the pain that comes with it is not. I've tried pumping to get an even suction to my nipples and bottleling my baby, but I'm missin out on my time with her.

I'm trying to get her back on the breast and leave the bottle behind, but she doesn't want to open her mouth to take it, she gets upset, cause she doesn't know what to do (is not as easy as putting it in her mouth). My breast are so swollen, that it's harder to make my nipple come out for her to grab on, not to mention the aureola.

I don't know what to do to get her latched on my breast, I'm trying the football hold 'cause it's easier on me, but my problem is gettin my baby to suck on the nipple. If anyone has any advice or remedies that can help, please I'm all ears.

Thanks,

A loving mom in pain.

Default Re: Problems Latching my Baby...

Have you tried pumping a little before you try to feed her? That way your breast will be softer and it may be easier for her to latch on.

Hang in there!

Oh, wow. I'm so sorry you're in pain! It sounds like you're experiencing quite a bit of engorgement. Was your baby nursing well before your milk came in? Has she latched on at all?

Have you heard of reverse pressure softening? This might help make it easier for your baby to latch on. You can find an article on this subject here:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/llleade...rMay03p38.html
    This article is NOT a LLL resource, but it does contain some illustrations of the technique that I thought you might find helpful, and is written by the founder of the technique.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...cotterman.html

Some mothers find these tips help to decrease engorgement:
    • Nurse frequently (try for at least 10x in 24 hrs)

• Gentle breast massage (from the chest toward the nipple) before nursing

• Cool compresses *between* nursing

• Warm compresses before nursing to aid in milk flow (warm compresses should not be used between nursing as they can increase swelling)

• Breast compressions during nursing

• Hand expressing (or pumping with the lowest suction) *just* enough milk for comfort if you feel overly full between nursing sessions

You should watch for the following:
    • Engorgement not relieved by comfort measures

• You start experiencing symptoms of mastitis

If you notice any of the above, get in touch with your Doctor and/or an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant immediately.

Please consider calling your local LLL Leader for more information and support! Local support is a great help, especially in the early weeks.

Take care! And do keep us posted on how you're doing.
    Last edited by LLL_Jolie; January 14th, 2006 at 10:29 PM.

I didn't mean to leave out your main concern, getting your baby back to the breast.

You'll find this FAQ helpful:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/back.html

If all the above information leads to more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Remember: When baby isn't able to breastfeed for whatever reason, rule #1 is FEED THE BABY.

Wishing you the best...

Many Lactation Consultants will do home visits. I would do this. I wish I hadn't waited as long as I had. I could have had a lot less pain. It's so much easier when they show you how to do all these things.

I feel for you! My baby was a non latcher too and none of the accepted techniques worked. But being stubborn I persevered and around 6 weeks he just got the hang of it.

Just because breastfeeding is natural doesn't mean it will come naturally. But practice makes perfect. Don't worry that your baby is rejecting you, he isn't.
    Keep on trying very frequently.

Give any supplement by cup or spoon rather than a bottle and surround yourself with supportive people, especially moms from LLL.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Dryad
    Many Lactation Consultants will do home visits. I would do this. I wish I hadn't waited as long as I had. I could have had a lot less pain. It's so much easier when they show you how to do all these things.
    Some La Leche League Leaders also do home visits. It couldn't hurt to call around and see if anyone locally does. It will also be a free visit, depending on your part of the country, a Lactation Consultant can be as high as $75/per hour. Granted that visit would be cheaper than formula! The Leader will probably want to have a good conversation with you first to give you a whole bunch of ideas.
    To Find a Leader near you:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/WebIndex.html

Remember, it takes weeks not days to get this new skill, it is a huge learning curve! Most of us didn't learn how to ride a bike in a day!

You are doing a great job as a new Mom!

Best of Luck,
    LLL Traci

You got some good advice here already, but just wanted to add some words of encouragement. The first weeks are the toughest, especially when both of you are new to breastfeeding. Give it some time, and keep an eye on the wet diapers. Above all try not to get discouraged! Go to a LLL meeting if you can - it's very heartening to see so many women breastfeeding their babies, and they can probably share some of your worries!

Also a word on the LC: my insurance covered a few visits (can't remember how many off the top of my head). I did go to the hospital to do it, but it was very worthwhile. Just trying different positioning techniques or having someone else watch you and offer tips can really be useful.

Good luck! And HANG IN THERE!

It's too bad something as natural as breastfeeding doesn't come naturally to us all. I agree that the first weeks are the toughest. Hang in there!

...I also wanted to tell you that I LOVE your DD's name.

Those first few weeks can be rough!

The best thing you can do is NO BOTTLES! It might seem like a help at the time, but for such a little baby, it can cause so many problems, and it's just not worth the risk. The best thing to do is nurse her on demand. If you need to pump a little to relieve engorgement, that's okay, but don't pump too much. YOu can try hand expressing a little before a feed, as well.

Anyway, it sounds like she's getting nipple confused. With a bottle she doesn't have to open up as wide and can just suck off the tip, which is what it sounds like she's trying to do.

kellymom.com is one of my favorite bfing resources, here's a few links from there-

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/...to-breast.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/bas...resources.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/newman/26bab..._to_latch.html

Also contact your local LLL if you haven't already. Often, as mentioned above, leaders are willing to come help you in person.

Good luck, keep us updated!