Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can I use the microwave to scald my milk?

Default Can I use the microwave to scald my milk?

I think I may have the lipase problem... my milk always tastes funny after its been thawed out of the freezer. I have tried EVERYTHING, I use hard plastic bottles to store it, I store it in the back of my deep freezer, I have tried every method of thawing and it still has a weird taste and smell. My fresh milk keeps for a week without any adverse taste or smell, but once I freeze it, it's toast. And I have 120 oz. in the freezer that I don't want to just toss out, but I may have to.

I want to try scalding, but I don't want to have to pull out a pan and boil the milk every night. This whole working and pumping thing is cumbersome as it is! Can I just microwave the milk and then freeze it?

Default Re: Can I use the microwave to scald my milk?

i'm sorry I don't have an answer for you (hopefully someone will). but i have the same problem. I initially thought that freezing would help vs. keeping in the fridge. Oh boy was i wrong!! I tasted some the other day and it was so horrible, and i had to throw away several bottles My problem is that the same thing happens in the fridge..It would be great to find a way to solve this problem.

I may be WAY off track here (please correct me if so), but I was under the impression that microwaving, or boiling in a pot, would affect the enzyme structure of your milk and kill off nutrients which assist in your LO's growth....

That's right you don't ever want to microwave milk. You only have to scald what your ntend to freeze. So if your pumping enough to give your baby the next day and you leave it in the fridge your fine. But whenever you ARE going to freeze it needs to be done it a pan. Sorry!
    Last edited by DJ's Mom; January 23rd, 2007 at 02:41 AM.

Way too lazy for formula

Excess lipase can cause milk to spoil...it will smell sour, like soured cow's milk. Is this what your milk smells like? If that's not the case, does it have an "off" flavor, or just a strange odor? How would you describe the odor?

If your milk lasts 7 days in the fridge, chances are that you are not dealing with a lipase issue (most mothers note that their milk starts to turn soon as the milk cools). That being said, if your milk is tasting bad, you could try some small test batches and see what gets you the best results. You could try a control group (do nothing different), then try scalding, and then simply changing your storage routine. After a few days, check the milk and test your results.

For scalding, you want to heat just until you see bubbles around the edge of the pan. DO NOT heat to the boiling point.

Some mothers do scald in the microwave due to severe time restraints. We do not recommend this practice due to the way microwaves cook (it is harsh on food molecules). If you should choose to try this method, be aware that you will have to be very careful not to take the milk to a temperature above the scalding point AND you will have to treat the milk much like formula (in regards to storing, feeding) as it will be less flexible than fresh.

Here are two links you will find helpful:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ight=microwave
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...ight=microwave
    The whole thread is full of information, but these two pages highlight information regarding microwaving milk. Read on for other mother's experiences!

More info on the lipase debate:
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug98p109.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/l...essedmilk.html

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelleann View Post
    I may be WAY off track here (please correct me if so), but I was under the impression that microwaving, or boiling in a pot, would affect the enzyme structure of your milk and kill off nutrients which assist in your LO's growth....
    It does kill off some (not all) of the anti-infective properties of the milk and it may lower some of the nutrient values. However, this would not be of concern unless the baby is only receiving heat treated milk.

If you have excess lipase, try a bottle warmer in comination with a digital thermometer. I have the issue and the pan was very tricky and a pain for me. There's a thread "scalding milk due to excess lipase" or something like that - it has great info. and gives more detail on the bottle warmer method. I'll bump it up. I've been doing this for 3 months now and it is GREAT - no complaints.

Also - search the formus for lipase and you'll find more info as well.

HTH.

Ok I'm not going to bump that thread as it's already appearing on this page.

Good luck!