Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Back to work and trouble breastfeeding

Unhappy Back to work and trouble breastfeeding

I just returned to work two weeks ago and I am having trouble breastfeeding my 4 month old DD. She is so fussy at my breast (except through the night when she's half asleep). I used to have issues with OALD and she's acting similar to that but I think it's low supply or delayed letdown instead but don't know how to distinguish?? After a lot of work, she might finally latch on but sometimes she gets fussy the minute I put her in position to feed. She sucks a few times, and starts fussing/arching away and sometimes I can get her back on and she'll eat a little and then stop. I walk around with her, lay down with her - and she just cries and cries. I spend my entire morning, lunch hour and evening just trying to get her to eat. I can tell she's hungry - and sometimes she'll finally latch on and stay for a while but she doesn't seem satisfied. I finally leave for work, and dad needs to feed her with the bottle within 15 minutes of me leaving. How can I determine the problem - OALD, low supply or DL? or maybe acid reflux that just happens to coincide with my return to work?? It's very disheartening because I want the little time we have together to be positive, and instead I feel like she's really unhappy with me. It makes leaving for work even harder.

Thank you for any help you might offer!!

Default Re: Back to work and trouble breastfeeding

Could it be a nursing strike? Since your baby will nurse when sleepy that is my guess. My DS had a nursing strike when he was about 4 months old. Eventually I decided it was because he just felt awful--he had a cold and had gotten some vaccinations. I don't have any guesses about causes for you.

This page has good information about easing the baby back to nursing. Good luck!

My baby had a nursing strike right after I went back to work. I took that first weekend to have a "babymoon" and we got ourselves back on track. Now he wants to nurse almost right after I get home, no matter how much earlier he was fed.

Thank you both. I didn't think of a nursing strike. I just assumed nipple confusion. I will look into ways to resolve the nipple strike - I love the idea of a babymoon. I hope we really can get back on track.

Thank you!!

The only other thing I can think of is what type of nipples you have on the bottles you're using. Other than shape, which can be a baby's preference, you want to make sure you're using a "Slow Flow" nipple. My caregiver accidentally used the preemie nipples we had leftover from the early days, and they flow faster than the rest of our bottles. It was an honest mistake... I pump into Medela bottles, and those were the only nipples we had that fit them. We all learned a lesson.