Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Correct amount of expressed bm when bottle feeding?

Default Correct amount of expressed bm when bottle feeding?

Hi all-- I've seen the kellymom.com milk calculator for expressed bm when bottle feeding, but then I've seen other websites that suggest feeding a LOT more bm according to weight. I'm confused! My son is about 15.5 lbs, 4.5 months old, and he's fed 6-7 times/day. We've been feeding him 4 oz expressed bottles while I'm at work ... and for the past few days he's been VERY fussy, and we can't figure out why... but suspect he may need more milk. Any suggestions? Could it be when he's at the breast he gets more milk, and the bottles aren't full enough? Thanks!

Cool Re: Correct amount of expressed bm when bottle feeding?

I also have a 4.5 month old (dd) and express 4 oz. (but only for the bed time feeding so DH can feed). The only other reason I express milk for that night time feeding is so we can slowly acclimate baby Zella to getting a little bit of rice cereal next month when she will be 5 months old before we start her on real solids. I too would like to know the correct "procedure" (for lack of better wording) of how much to express and if i'm going about all this right.
    Thank you!
    Zella's mom

Default Re: Correct amount of expressed bm when bottle feeding?

have you tried giving him more to see if that helps? i would assume that expressing until there is nothing to express would get you the "right" amount since your breasts are probably trained to produce whatever amount baby needs. HTH

I agree with geez-louise...you will most likely pump what your baby has trained your body to make. However, I would make sure that you are pumping long enough...at least 15 minutes with several let downs. And you will pump more milk in the morning compared to later in the day. I have heard that babies remove milk better than a pump, but as long as you feel softer after pumping, that should be enough. My dd is also 4.5 months old and weighs about 15 lbs. I was never able to use those charts for ebm. My baby goes through about 4 4oz. bottles during my work day. And that varies depending on how much she nurses in the morning, and after work/during the night. Sometimes it is too much and once in awhile it's not enough. Every baby is different. As long as they are gaining weight, wetting diapers, etc. the amount they are getting is fine. My dd was also very fussy during the day...but it wasn't because she was hungry. She wanted to nurse for comfort. We finally got her to take a pacifier after about a month of trying. But she only uses it when I'm not with her. It helps tremendously!
    HTH

a pump cannot pump what your baby can, your baby is much more efficient than any pump could ever be, and it is not an accurate way of gauging what he's getting. i think you should do what feels right for him, if he seems like he needs more, give him more or at least see if thats the problem. ive also heard it helps if the caregiver takes pauses whlie feeding them to simulate the pauses in milk let down. also, what flow speed are the nipples? too fast maybe? it seems to me also that the milk calculator may be a little low, but i stick pretty close to what it says, or a little more.

Our daughter is 3.5 months old and weighs 12 3/4 lbs. I'm exclusively pumping but she has 6 bottles per day of varying amounts. Her first bottle after sleeping through the night is 6 oz, the next 4 are 5 oz and the last before bed is usually somewhere between 4-5 oz. Total, she eats about 30oz per day. She all of a sudden switched from eating 7-8 times a day at 3-3.5oz to eating 6 times per day at 5-6oz (her 3 mo growth spurt helped with that).

It can't hurt to try a 4.5 or 5 oz bottle to see if that satisfies him. He may even want more than that.

I went back to work last Wednesday and had used the Kellymom calculator to help prepare bottles for my mom, who watches her during the day.

It was definitely an UNDERestimation in our case. My DD is 6 weeks old and takes 4-5 ounce bottles usually. We only have a few days of experience with this though...

Cynthia

I too have found that the Kelly Mom Milk Calculator was not a good estimation of the amount to feed our dd. She typically takes 30-36 ounces of ebm per day in bottles of varying amounts (we just feed her whenever she shows hunger cues). I believe that the Milk Calculator is only based on providing 25 ounces total per day. I think that the Milk Calculator is just to be used as a loose reference for feedings as every baby is different. 25 ounces certainly would leave my dd unhappy and hungry for most of the day!