Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing bra

Default Nursing bra

I've heard that you shouldn't use underwire nursing bras b/c they could cause clogged ducts. Is this true? We're thinking about trying to get pregnant again and the prospect of saggy boobs is depressing. I'm still nursing my 9 month old and I'm not quite so saggy now, but early on it was really hard to ever feel good about my body. I think more support would help, but I've had my fair share of problems too (like clogged ducts) and I don't want that either. So...underwire or no?

Default Re: Nursing bra

i'd stay away from underwire bras. i wore one when we went to take family pictures and coincidentally ended up with a plugged duct a day later. but i know what you mean about saggy boobs. i read about the ipex bra by victoria's secret is supposed pretty supportive and it's wireless. you can check it out! HTH!
    Mommy to...
    Aleina... born on Mother's Day, May 14, 2006...7lbs 4oz, 21.6 inches
    Lauryn Elle...January 26, 2008...7lbs 15oz, 20 inches

Some think that a properly fitting underwire is fine. Others say no underwire at all. There are some non-wired nursing bras out there that offer a good amount of support. However, if you have your heart set on wire, you can certainly give it a try, and stop using it if it causes you problems!
    Hugs
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Quote Originally Posted by LLL LactoJen View Post
    Some think that a properly fitting underwire is fine.
    I've been using underwire bras while nursing for almost 6 months with no problems. The trick in my experience is to make sure that you get a professional fitting and get the correct size so the underwire is providing support but not compressing any breast tissue. I actually got so frustrated trying to find a nursing bra that fit and provided enough support (I'm 36 DD) that I got fitted for "regular" bras and the lingerie store converted them to nursing for free. If you're good at sewing, here's a website with instructions about how to convert a regular bra to nursing:
    http://www.sleepingbaby.net/jan/Baby/braconvert.html
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

I've been using underwire nursing bras for 7 months now without any problems. I agree with PP about getting fit professionally. Good luck.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

I used underwire for a little while, they were fine but I grew out of them and they got uncomfortable. No clogged ducts, though. I used somebody's suggestion on this site about the Bravado bra, they are extremely easy to fit, (only three sizes), and reasonably priced, ($35), and great support and comfort for day and night. Highly recommended. See if there is a store near you that sells them. The thread is under nursing wear.

I found a really great very supportive non underwire bra at Walmart...I was shocked myself...and it was only 9 dollars...So far so good...
    Allie
    Wife to T
    Mother to 4 crazy ones

i have a large chest and before getting pg i NEVER went without an underwire bra. since my second trimester ( and for 9 mos pp so far i have been wearing bras without an underwire and they are great!!! i have a few non-nursing ones, but now i only wear the bravado designs nursing bras. especially during the day when support is key, the suprme nurser rocks and there is no underwire. it will be hard to STOP wearing this bra after bf'ing is over, as the support is so great and it is so comfy. has padded straps and just feels great. ( and does not look like a straightjacket !) anyway, that's just my opinion. www.bravadodesigns.com
    meohmy

Thanks for all the input... It seems like a small thing, but it helps me look forward to the next little one!