Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Feeding every 2 hours

Default Feeding every 2 hours

I have a newborn she's a week and four days. I've been feeding her every 2 hours so that I can get a 5 hours window to sleep at night. My question is when I feed her I let her eat for approximately 10 minutes on each breast sometimes a little longer. Is this okay? Or should I let her drain on side and then at the next feeding let her drain the other side? My other question is should I just let her tell me when she's hungry instead of waking her every 2 hours or 3-4 hours like everyone else does?

Default Re: Feeding every 2 hours

Hi there
    Congratulations on your new baby!

LLL says "finish the first breast first". This means you let baby eat at the first breast until she falls asleep or comes off on her own. If she still acts hungry, offer the second side. Start with the second side at the next feeding, whether she ate a bit off that side or not.

It's best to feed your baby on cue, rather than on a schedule. Baby knows when she needs to eat and she'll let you know. She should be going to the breast at least 8-12 times per 24 hours. This doesn't necessarily translate out to every 2-3 hours. Some babies will eat several times in a short period, and sleep a longer period at another time of day.

HTH!
    Jen
    "Mothers are designed to be available to their babies--to help them make the transition into this big, wide world. To teach them to trust, and love, and feel good about being alive."
    --Elizabeth N. Baldwin, Esq., So I Nursed Him Every 45 Minutes

Click here to find your local LLL Group
    How to tell if your breastfed baby is getting enough milk!

Default Re: Feeding every 2 hours

Just to expand on the previous post, you want the baby to finish the first breast so he/she gets all the hindmilk possible, where most of the calories are. My son almost always takes just one breast at each feeding and this is totally normal and works well for us. Has your daughter been gaining well and having enough wet/poopy diapers (5-6 wet, 2-3 poopy)? If so you probably don't need to worry about waking her up every 2 hours. I know when I was in the hospital the nurses were all over for me, making sure my son ate every three hours, which is what you have to do to get the 8-12 times per day in. He was very sleepy in those early days and always needed waking up, but now I just follow his lead and he eats every 2 hours...

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807