Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st solid - avocado vs. banana ?

Default 1st solid - avocado vs. banana ?

Our LO turns 6 mo in three days and we're going to start offering food next weekend using a baby led approach.

It looks like avocado and banana are both good choices as first foods. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation or preference of one or the other as the first solid to offer?

Side note: I'm pretty excited to watch LO put something in his mouth that actually has flavor and see how he reacts. When I talk to the grandparents about starting solids I've been trying to de-emphasize the eating and focus on the process of exploration and learning. I'm telling the grandparents they are invited to come over to watch the first "put food in his hair and throw it on the ground" event to hopefully lessen some of their eagerness to see LO eat.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Default Re: 1st solid - avocado vs. banana ?

Aidan's first food was sweet potato. He loved it! His second food was banana and then avocado. I didn't plan on doing it in this order...it was just something that happened.

It is a lot of fun watching your LO feed themselves. When I gave Aidan watermelon he managed to drench his entire outfit, face, head (he doesn't have hair yet ), floors, highchair, the dog and me! Oh, he did manage to eat some as well.

Good luck! You guys will have A LOT of fun!

If choosing between those two I choose Avacado. As Bananas can be constipating. I wouldn't invite anyone over the 1st time....as you may all be disappointed. Even though it was at a time in his life when EVERYTHING went in his mouth our 1st THREE attempts (all a week a part) we got NOTHING. The only things I have ever given him to actually put in his mouth and he rubbed it all over his knee, his cheeks and hair. He didn't put avacado, banana or Sweet potato in his mouth on their 1st attempts. So I'd try with out much fanfare and just be ready with a camera. After you are sure you have found something he likes THEN have people come over. (For DJ it was Watermelon) Have fun but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen "right" at 6months.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    I wouldn't invite anyone over the 1st time.... Have fun but don't be surprised if it doesn't happen "right" at 6months.
    Thanks! We're very prepared to let our DS take his time and not force solids on him. My expectations for "first solids" are pretty much what you describe with him playing and rubbing it all over himself. I confess we're offering 1st solids right at 6 mo in part to appease the grandmothers who have been very eager about this milestone . After we do the first offer we're definitely going to back off and respond to what our LO is telling us he's ready for.

I've been doing ALOT of prep work by explaining the baby led approach and why we've made this choice and trying to set the grandparents expectations that the first attempts probably won't result with any food actually in LOs tummy. I know my dad gets it and is really interested in the baby led idea but my mom has been excitedly polishing the silver baby spoons even AFTER I told her multiple times that we're not starting with spoon feeding. I know she won't dare try to feed LO without my permission so that's not an issue, and she also won't dare tell LO that she's disappointed if he doesn't eat on the first try. This is sad to say, but unfortunately my mom is still upset about whatever pushy grandma stuff her mom and MIL did to her 40 years ago so my mom is super careful to not do the same to me.
    Lynn

Quote Originally Posted by DJ's Mom View Post
    If choosing between those two I choose Avacado. As Bananas can be constipating.
    DITTO!!!!

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=7

heres a page about each....

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=5

I think I would pick avocado but realy it doesn't matter what you pick for 1st foods.

We did avocado for the first week and then started adding in other foods (bananas, peaches, peas, carrots, etc).

We did avocado first, but DS didn't seem to like it that much, then we gave banana...which he has been having a lot of fun with. We are going to try the avocado again, since I don't think he disliked it, just got to give him some time to get used to eating something other than BM!

Also, thanks for sharing the story about your mom...she sounds sweet!
    Jenny
    Mama to Jacob , born 6/11/06
    And his NEW baby brother , born 8/14/08

, , , cloth diapering

Thanks for the advice and stories!

Today we offered DS a little bit of his first food - some avocado. He was definitely interested and even managed to get a little bit in his mouth ... but when it came time to swallow clearly wasn't quite ready because he did a very disturbed face followed by an impressive demonstration of a good healthy gag reflex and managed to not only get the little bit of avocado out of his mouth but also spit up a bunch of his last nursing. And yes, we did get the whole thing on video I was holding him on my lap for all this so didn't get to see the full sequence until I saw the video. I guess I'm a bad mommy because I think it's actually pretty funny.

So ... we're going to wait a week and try again and see what happens.

Oh - and the funniest picture is DS grabbing the plate the avocado was on and trying to put the plate in his mouth.
    Lynn

11girl is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Someone told me to introduce cerals, then veggies and then fruits.. otherwise the baby would li8ke the sweet stuff too much and wouldn't want the veggies. any thoughts on this?