Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: has anyone heard of this?

Default has anyone heard of this?

It's hit or miss with my LO. Sometimes he will take my breast and other times he goes crazy and refusing to eat. He's 2-months and I pump some milk out to feed him when he gets this way. I prefer the breast.

Someone told me to rub something sweet on my nipples to trick him to latch on. Has anyone heard of this? If so, what do you rub on your nipples. I'm willing to try it if it works.

Default Re: has anyone heard of this?

I haven't heard of putting anything on your breasts, but my aunt used Karo syrup with my cousins and their bottles (mind you, this was 30 years ago). Do you have OALD (over-active let down)? That could be a possible culprit to your LO not wanting the breast.

Before I had my DS I worked as a nurse on a L & D unit. When we had LO that was having trouble nursing or latching on we would put a little glucose water on the moms nipple. It does help sometimes.
    Mama to Andrew 6-20-06
    My angel in heaven, Benjamin William 11-2-07 to 11-5-07
    Kaitlyn 6-12-09

My first used to do that. It took weeks, and I had to completely banish bottles, to make breastfeeding work. It was hard to overcome, but I did it, and you can too!

What comes to my mind is that you could have an overactive letdown, and it upsets him. You can determine if you have overactive letdown by checking out some of the LLL resources: www.llli.org/llleaderweb/LV/LVSepOct95p69.html

He could also have reflux http://www.llli.org/FAQ/ger.html. Sometimes, nursing is just uncomfortable for them and then they won't latch on.

Mine had really bad reflux combined with OALD. He would nurse avidly for a few seconds, pop off and cry, and then repeat, on and on. I managed the OALD by expressing by hand until the flow slowed down, but it took meds to control the reflux.

Good luck!
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

I Agree some babies have a hard time going between breast and bottle.
    even a few bottle will throw them for a loop.
    sometimes it's just their temprament? IS the baby high needs?
    dr sears has a bunch of ideas on his web site about high needs babies.

Karo and other non-BM foods are not safe for a little baby. Try expressing a little milk onto your nipple. HTH.