Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What are your lo's eating???

Default Re: What are your lo's eating???

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    as far as just playing with the food, sometimes if you give them a taste they realize what it is they are playing with....
    So true. Kesiah still sometimes needs a little reminder that food actually TASTES good. These days I can convince her by taking a bite myself, but at 7, 8 months I kinda would sneak some onto her lip and when she'd taste it she'd finally realize that it was for consumption

Great to see what everyone is eating. Back when we started, I got lots of ideas from this thread.

how old? 8.5 months

when did you start? a little over 6 months

first food? avacado or banana

what else have you given?
    sweet potato
    butternut squash (not a big hit)
    spaghetti squash (loved that!)
    oatmeal
    carrot
    pinto beans
    cannellini beans
    green beans
    white potato
    applesauce
    baked apple
    pear
    o's
    rice cakes
    hard boiled egg yolk
    hard boiled egg yolk mixed w/ cream cheese (modified egg salad for baby)
    whole grain toast
    spinach w/ olive oil and loads of garlic
    chard done same as spinach
    watermelon
    cantaloupe
    beef from a stew (not too interested in that)
    papaya
    frozen peaches (a little too slippery)
    string cheese
    tofu
    pita w/ hummus
    whole wheat tortilla
    zucchini
    summer squash
    roasted eggplant
    roasted pepper
    roasted cauliflower
    steamed broccoli
    snow pea
    peas out of our stew
    quinoa
    plain yoghurt (I give him low fat because that's what we eat, is that not recommended?)
    cottage cheese
    cheese tortellini w/ pesto (big hit)
    prunes, just tried them
    dates
    a taste of our fish

We do baby-led for most everything, but he does eat a few things off a spoon: cottage cheese, oatmeal, quinoa (way too little to pick up), spaghetti squash, yoghurt. He has only very recently accepted a spoon. Before, he would just take the spoon and put the handle in his mouth, but now he seems to like to do both.

Just getting ready to try other dried fruits, partially rehydrated to make them easier to get into.
    Theresa

Quote Originally Posted by Evin View Post
    So true. Kesiah still sometimes needs a little reminder that food actually TASTES good. These days I can convince her by taking a bite myself, but at 7, 8 months I kinda would sneak some onto her lip and when she'd taste it she'd finally realize that it was for consumption
    Evin DS does something similar! He will stick out his tongue for his first taste of approval!!

I cant remember who was talking about tofu earlier. They said you either cook it or not? So you dont have to cook tofu? I was going to try tofu for the first time for us and DS!

We've been taking a very slow and relaxed approach to starting solids with our DS. He's only recently getting really into eating.

Current age: 8 mo 3 weeks

Started solids: 6 mo

First food: avocado (self fed - did a great job picking up avocado and putting it in his mouth, then gagged it out along with his last BF session )

Here's what we've tried so far with Sam.

Sam doesn't like:
    - bananas (tried both self fed and mashed up)
    - applesauce (homemade by grandma)
    - baby rice cereal (prepared many different ways)
    - baby oatmeal cereal (prepared many different ways)

Sam likes:
    - sweet potato (self fed - just baked or microwaved, cooled, and scooped out of the skin)
    - carrot (I bought puree to try - next we'll try real cooked carrots)
    - butternut squash (self fed - cubes steamed and cooled)
    - avocado (self fed - but very slippery!)
    - apple (we hold a whole apple or a big slice and let him gnaw on it; no clue why Sam likes whole apple and not applesauce)
    - organic brown rice puff cereal (like Rice Crispies but no sugar or salt)
    - organic brown rice cakes (no salt)
    - teething biscuits (http://healthytimes.com/htbabybiscuits.htm)
    - regular oatmeal (more went in Sam when I let him play with & self feed cooled and solidified oatmeal)
    - "O" oat cereal (self fed - yeah!)
    - green beans (self fed - bought baby greenbeans, cut off the ends, steamed until a little mushy but DS still able to pick up)

Things next on the list to try:
    - pear
    - broccoli
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hi there ladies I have not yet fed my lo solids yet. He will be 5 mo on the 5th of May.. Everyone keeps telling me feed him some rice cereal or gerber. I dont want to feed him solids yet. When I decide to I am only going to give him "my food" no store bought baby food.. MIL, friends, aunt everyone keeps pushing the food thing, I think it is because he is such a big boy.. At his 4 mo check he was 15lbs 8oz 25". He is only BF.. What do I do?? I dont even want to think of solids bc then that means he is growing up!
    By the way what are o's???
    thanks for listening..
    crystall

Current age: 5 mths, 2 wks (14 lbs, 12 oz, 25")

Started solids: 4 mths, 1 wk
    I had intended to wait until Kendra was 6 mths but she was so interested in the food we ate and was grabbing at it that I started trying solids - and boy does she love them!

First food: An apple that we shared - she sucked on the core. Otherwise I next tried a bit of banana mashed up.

Here's what we've tried so far with Kendra:

Kendra likes: EVERYTHING!
    Banana
    Sweet Potato
    Applesauce (she got the shakes when I gave her a first taste )
    Carrots
    Peaches
    Butternut Squash
    Green Beans (loved these!)
    Watermelon (sucked on the rind)
    Pineapple chuck (didn't like so much)

No reaction to anything yet... I BF her first and then try some food if she seems hungry yet. We usually give her some at night during dinner - but some days she gets none. BM is primary. We spoon feed her in the high chair because she is so small yet that she can't reach with the tray attached. Most times she'll eat an entire 2.5 oz (stage 1 jar). She keeps opening her mouth for more and then whines if we stop! Most times she is too full to want more BM afterwards - usually she just BF's for a few minutes and then falls alseep. We did start giving her a sippy cup with water too because she always wants whatever we're drinking. She hasn't figured out how to get the water out yet though - she chews on the spout.

Things next on the list to try:
    peas
    prunes
    avacado
    pears
    rice, barley, and oat cereal

My hubby and I both work full time so Kendra mainly has been getting baby jar food since we don't have any time to really prepare fresh.... but I am going to try putting softened fresh into the mesh bag she can suck on.

Great thread!! Gave me lots of ideas for her!

Current age: 9 mo 1 week

We're doing a baby led approach with solids ... and I'm excited to share that tonight LO had chicken and did great!

I poached some chicken breast to make it tender and juicy, then put a strip on LO's tray. He grabbed it, got it right in his mouth, and was even able to bite some off using his 4 teeth. At some point he had a huge mouthful of chicken, but he did great with no gagging at all. It was interesting to watch because LO seemed to chew / mush / suck the chicken until it was pretty pulverized, then swallowed most of what was in his mouth. Only a small amount got spit back out.

Yippee! I'm excited to keep trying "big people" foods with LO!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Current age: 6 mo 3 weeks

Started solids: 5 mo 2 weeks. Started with spoon fed purees, and then I discovered the wonderful world of BLW (baby-led weaning). Now, there's no turning back!

First food: Breastmilk mixed with sweet potato - very liquidy (spoonfed)

Peter has tried:
    Sweet potato
    Rice
    Kidney Beans
    Black Beans
    Prunes
    Pears
    Banana
    Mandarin
    Avocado
    Halibut
    Salmon
    Lemon
    Papaya
    Applesauce
    Carrots
    Brocolli
    Rice cereal
    Oatmeal cereal
    Teething biscuits
    Special K (DH )
    Squash

Peter doesn't like:
    - baby oatmeal cereal. Won't go near it. Won't open his mouth.

Peter's favorites:
    Squash
    Pears
    Papaya
    Refried beans (canned organic sodium free, or home-made)
    Prunes

Loving this baby led weaning! It's so nice to be able to eat dinner with both hands! DH, Peter and I can all have dinner together, and I give Peter food off my plate. It's wonderful!!!

Great thread! We will be foraying into the solid world, I am bringing this shopping!
    Amber, mama to

Henry 11~13~06
    Allergic to dairy, soy, egg, peanut, all tree nuts, wheat, barley, potato, chickpeas, pea

Georgia & Miles 7~7~10

LOVE this thread! We too will be soon (re)entering the solids world! We tried rice cereal around 4 mos. but soon backed off after doing more research. So, may start introducing things slowly at around 6 mos.

You all have wonderful ideas! Can't wait to try new things...