Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: screaming while feeding!

Default screaming while feeding!

hi I am new to this forum and have been reading the threads that seem to relate to my breastfeeding problems but am still at a loss and looking for advice.I have a beautiful 16 week old daughter who is generally content and gaining weight well but has had various problems related to her feeding.

Our current problem that has me puzzled is when I put my daughter to the breast she sucks for 1 or 2 minutes then pulls away screaming. Sometimes she will quickly go back on and then do the same thing again, other times she will not go back on at all!I try to burp her in the hope it will help but doesn't. The only way she will feed is if I rock her and keep her in motion which is physically exhausting and impossible to do out in public - she makes such a scene!It is like she is in pain.I know it is not thrush as she had that when she was 4 weeks old for over a month and it did not put her off feeding at all(it is now well cleared up thankfully).

My daughter suffers from reflux and is given Infant Gaviscon which appears to help, however she will only take this from a bottle with a little EBM.I give her
    this before I put her on the breast. Also I have an abundance of milk with a very overactive letdown so I express a little milk before a feed to reduce the force of the flow of milk.She has never been a relaxed feeder, my health visitor has described her as an aggressive feeder as she often thrashes around, punches out and scratches herself while feeding while also trying to look at what is going on around her.I have to remove all kinds of stimulation while feeding her which is fine when we are in the house but not out and about!

The screaming while feeding started about 2 months ago but was only once a day which I could cope with. For the past 3 weeks it has been happening at every feed except first thing in the morning. I want to continue breastfeeding but am finding this so hard that I am considering giving it up ...any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Susane; March 14th, 2006 at 04:03 PM.

Default Re: screaming while feeding!

I'm sorry to hear you're having those problems.
    But, you know, I bet it'll pass. Maybe your daughter is having some pain from teething, or maybe she has an ear infection. Both of those could make nursing painful. Did you ask her doctor about it at all? Or maybe she has a tummy ache from her reflux, or knows that she might get a tummy ache and associates nursing with it. It's so hard sometimes when they can't talk isn't it?! Autumn had a touch of reflux and it has gotten a lot better as she's gotten older, so it'll get better: believe me.
    When Autumn was about 4 months old, she went through a phase where she would cry after just a few minutes of nursing,too. She has always been a healthy-sized baby and has enough dirty diapers so I knew she was getting enough milk, she just seemed to be in pain though. And we're just now getting to the point where public nursing is completely comfortable and stress-free.
    And she's 6 months old today and everything is going really well..I'm still not 100% sure why she would cry though.
    As hard as it is for you, it's so wonderful that you're breastfeeding! You are giving your baby the best possible nutrition and the best start to life! I hope this has helped a little bit--sorry if I've rambled on. It'll get easier for you too I'm sure...Just hang in there! And we're here for you...

Angry Re: screaming while feeding!

I have the same thing and Im flipping out. She is 4 wks old and it started 2 wks ago. The MD gave me zantac, but not much help. I totally get the hysteria also again and again after 2 min, the thrashing, pulling off, kicking, punching, it sounds bad I kmow...
    Also same, I so ID with the walking while feeding, she chills when I walk around while she is latched.. not so tiring for me, since I am happy she's eating. Also 2night I fed her IN THE BATHTUB. I got in and she and I were in the warm water and she fed, (which was great to clean , cuz I was drenched from the vomit she just did that was due to the reflux... What the heck is all this????

Can you please email me the name of the medication you use? Also, I have a rapid let down too and I think this is what the deal is, NOT GERD as the MD said... But I dont really care, the whole thing is so freaken tiring! I am also thinking of just expressing abd pumping the milk into a bottle. especially when the drama is every night til 430.. I wanna hang in there too so Im glad to find another person who's not finding it peachy. It is definately NOT about how willing I am or determined, cuz I am doing alot and I am committed to brstfding it is just very hard.
    Last edited by paolina; March 15th, 2006 at 03:25 AM.

From what you are describing, it sounds like the overactive letdown could be the main issue here. Check out the Too Much Milk! forum: http://www.lalecheleague.org/vbullet...splay.php?f=32

I'm sorry you've been going through this is, I know how agonizing it is! My son went through a similar screaming and pulling away period at abou 8-9 weeks, that's when I came onto this forum. I realized that I had a problem with overactive letdown and a slight oversupply. I've been doing 2-3 hour block feeding, feeding only on one side, and I saw a really big improvement almost immediately. Occasionally it still happens, but usually it's because 1) he's overtired, or 2) he has to burp. The burping is really pretty consistent, whenever he starts to fuss and pull away like that he almost always has to burp. Occasionally he also seems to object when my flow is too slow, as it is somtimes in the evening. I'm trying to build his patience by nursing when he and I are both calm, so we can wait for those multiple letdowns. So those are some ideas to look for. Now he's 13 weeks and things are a lot better.

One more queston -- what color are his poops? If you have a lot of green poops that would be a good clue that it's an oversupply issue -- as he may be getting too much foremilk. There are a number of threads on this issue that you may want to look into.

Hang in there, I know this can emotionally bruising to us moms but I'm sure you'll find a way to learn with him what he needs!

Annie

My ds had very severe reflux as an infant that caused him to react the same way, I finally had to bf him sitting up. I would sit him in my lap, on one leg or the other (depending on which side he was going to nurse on), face him towards me, let him lean against the arm on the side he was on (but kept him vertical) and let him latch that way. It is very simular to the laying down positioning but sitting up instead. It helped a lot, he also spit up less like this and when he went though the distracted stage he found it much easier to look around without unlatching.
    Amanda Mom to James (2/25/04) and nursling Alice (8/24/05)

My DD has always fussed and cried at the start of some feeds, at 8 weeks it got awful, every feed, refusing the breast, screaming as soon as I put her in the nursing position.

We are over it now, although she sometimes still fusses. Some of our problem was that I was trying to feed every 2 hours as she had been doing and she was wanting to feed less often, she also had a cold and I have a forcefull let down as weel I think, I just stopped as soon as she started crying and fu8ssing and tried again 10 mins later, I also found that she would ONLY feed in a dark room for a while..

HTH

Morgan did that too. If she does, I pull my breast away and squeeze a little to see if it is coming out too fast. Also, gas is a HUGE issue for her. So I pat her butt while she is nursing -seems like it calms her and moves the gas. If nothing else, I give her mylicon or Gripe Water and then go back to it. SOmetimes also, she is over tired and so I will let her take a quick nap and then try again. Good luck!!

Unhappy Re: screaming while feeding!

I have a smiliar problem with my boy, 2 1/2 months old. He kicks and pulls on me when he eats, but he doesn't seem upset. Sometimes he does, but most of the time, he's just wiggly. I wondered if there's anything I can do to stop this, especially at night when we nurse to sleep. He doesn't nurse to sleep well; just keeps wiggling... Any advice? Thanks!!!