Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How soon did you start nursing in bed?

Default How soon did you start nursing in bed?

Thanks in advance for your feeback.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: How soon did you start nursing in bed?

Ooooh - I just answered this on your glow pillow thread. I initially did night time feedings sitting up in bed (because that's what I had done in the hospital) and think we started doing side lying nursing in bed the middle or end of the first week. SO much more restful to nurse side lying!
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

With my daughter (who is now 4) I started at around 2-3 weeks (I was told newborns can't do the side-lying nursing).

With my son, I tried it immediately and he's been fine with it.

1st feed in the hospital and nearly every feed after that...

We weren't able to get the side-lying position down until about one month. Before that, I just propped pillows in the bed or fell asleep on the recliner with him on me. Once you have the side-lying position down, it's awesome. Neither of you have to fully awaken to latch, and before you know it, they do all the work themselves, even in the dark! I am still amazed at how my son can find my nipple in the dark in the middle of the night, and also at the fact that he knows when he's not latched on correctly and re-latches. Aw how all that hard work has paid off! It's so easy now. I couldn't imagine having to get up in the middle of the night to make a bottle!

"Kind hearts are the gardens, kind thoughts are the roots, kind words are the flowers, kind deeds are the fruits. Take care of your garden and keep out the weeds, fill it with sunshine, kind words and kind deeds." - Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Wife to my wonderful Simon
    Parenting my sweet Noah born 5.2.06 from the heart

http://www.normalizebreastfeeding.com

It took us a long time to get the hang of side-lying nursing. I don't think DS and I were pros at it until he was about 5 mos old. For us, I think things got better when he was able to control where he wanted his body (including good head control). I also found that putting a pillow behind my back helped prop me at the right angle for him.

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

Olivia was a week old when I started

And ive never looked back

We are just starting to get the hang of it. Landon will be 4 mo. on the 28th. I as afraid to do it because I thought he wasn't going to burp, and get all gassy, then I realized he never burped at night any way, so we tried it and now we are perfecting it.

The day we came home from the hospital. It has saved my sanity by allowing me to sleep. And she latches better in that position than any other, too!
    Tammy in MO

in the hospital......i only put austin in that little plastic cradle thing once for a picture the rest of the time he was in my bed.....but then again i didnt sleep the whole time i was there either!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~