Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have you used the nurse n glow pillow?

Default Have you used the nurse n glow pillow?

At what week or month did you start using it? It allows one to nurse in bed.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Have you used the nurse n glow pillow?

Didn't use this pillow. Baby was in a bassinet next to my side of the bed and we started doing nighttime nursing side lying in bed I think the middle to end of the first week. I would have started doing side lying nursing at night earlier but has gotten used to nursing in the hospital with the head of the electric bed raised to semi-sitting so the first couple nights home tried to replicate that sitting up position in bed using lots of pillows and a boppy Night time feedings were MUCH easier once I had the "duh" moment to try the side lying position. We don't have a nightlight in our bedroom so just left a light on in the hallway which was plenty of light for me to be able to see DS in his bassinet and to be able to see while we were still working on figuring out latch and positions.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

You don't need much light to nurse. We found that leaving the bathroom light on was plenty, even for diaper changes. We have a changing station set up on our dresser in the bedroom (luckily it's at the perfect height) and this is something I would recommend to all new moms if you're going to have your baby sleep in your bedroom. I received this advice from a great friend! We have yet to use the changing table in my son's room and he's three months old!

Anne- Mom to two active boys: Henry 10/06 and Jamie 4/09

Looking for an LLL leader in your area? click:
    http://www.llli.org/webindex.html

confused about abbreviations? check this out:
    http://forums.llli.org/showthread.php?t=807

I didn't have one like that but I did take my homemade boppy pillow to the hosptial with my last two babies.. It sure helps when your trying to get then to latch on and need an extra hand to adjust thier latch..
    take it with you and try it out at the hosptial.

I didn't like my boppy at first, but now I can't nurse comfortably without it. I was also not able to do the side lying position until about the 3rd or 4th month because DS couldn't lift his head properly or support the weight of my breast on his own. Now we always nurse lying down at night, I definitely get more sleep this way!

Don't give up on side lying if you don't get it at first. I found it helpful to practice during the day when I could see easier and was more alert. Now we can do it with hardly any light like the PP has said.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    Don't give up on side lying if you don't get it at first. I found it helpful to practice during the day when I could see easier and was more alert. Now we can do it with hardly any light like the PP has said.
    What made it easier for you? Was it using a pillow under your little one?

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

i found that in the very beginning we needed to turn on the light anyway because every single time ds woke up he had pooped....by the time he stopped doing that, i was comfortable enough to get him latched on in the dark.....but ouch!!! if they latch onto the wrong spot!!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Quote Originally Posted by nywifey View Post
    What made it easier for you? Was it using a pillow under your little one?
    At first I had to cradle his head in the crook of my arm. I just didn't understand the pictures I saw online, it just didn't work!! In the end I figured out it was because he was too small and weak to lift his head up far enough. So, like I said before, I cradled his head. Now I just lay him on the bed next to me and he knows what to do!

ETA: I'm so proud of you for wanting to be so informed before your LO actually gets here!!! I wish I had thought of half the questions to ask that you have.
    “Only with trust, faith, and support can the woman allow the birth experience to enlighten and empower her.” - Annie Kennedy & Penny Simkin

Quote Originally Posted by ChasingPrisms View Post
    ETA: I'm so proud of you for wanting to be so informed before your LO actually gets here!!! I wish I had thought of half the questions to ask that you have.
    Thank you! You ladies have helped me so much that I feel more at ease starting to breastfeed.

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com