Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: lentils and eggplant

Default lentils and eggplant

Any suggestions on cooking lentils for LO?

Also, has anyone fed eggplant to their babe? How did you prepare it?

Last question...when should I start introducing spices and sauces (curry, etc) to Aidan? He is 7 months old and I'm wondering if it's too early to feed him different spices and herbs.

TIA

Default Re: lentils and eggplant

Hi there! I don't have any good ideas for lentils or eggplant, but I do have some experience with spices. My daughter would never allow me to spoon-feed her. She would purse her lips and turn away and whack the spoon with her hand so that the food went flying! Finally I just gave up spoon-feeding and went with the baby-led approach. Because it was impossible for a baby to self-feed purees, I ended up giving her bits of whatever was on my plate and soft. I like well-spiced food, and as long as there wasn't too much hot pepper on whatever it was I was eating, I just shoveled it onto her tray and let her try it. Her favorite, to my astonishment, turned out to be fishcakes marinated in soy and garlic and hot chilis from our local Korean restaurant! (She was about 8 months when she first tried the fishcakes, I think.)

When I told my parents about my daughter's fishcake lust, they reminded me that when cows eat onions, the milk tastes like onions. (They both grew up on dairy farms.) So it must work the same with people- the mom's diet influences the taste of the milk. Probably our babies have been tasting all the flavors we love in our milk, and are ready for them long before we imagine they are.

I hope your little one enjoys a walk on the spicy side, if you decide to try it!!!

I cook the lentils and put them in the blender with a bit of the water that was used for cooking. My ds actually prefers them with cumin. He hasn't complained about spice, but I haven't tried red pepper.

Now that he's older, I can feed him whole lentils & brown rice (mjadra). One word of warning: I find lentil skins in his diaper.

Lentils are naturally high in iron.

I have been feeding Haylee spicy foods almost since she started eating solids...probably around 7 or 8 months. I started with single spiced foods, and cinnamon was the first spice I used, in her cereal and in peas and carrots. Then I just started experimenting with spices. Everyone was astonished yesterday because she ate chile con carne...and it was pretty spicy. She couldn't get enough. They all said, she must not have a sensitive stomach, which is pretty funny. If I look back, things that upset my stomach now didn't when I was younger...our stomachs actually get more sensitive as we get older!

Anyway, a great way to cook eggplant is to brush it with olive oil that has been seasoned with garlic (fry the olive oil with garlic until the garlic is just barely brown then brush on the eggplant...also excellent on bread) and grill it or bake it. You can also add basil or other italian seasonings. We eat a lot of eggplant. I made lasagna last night and I always put the noodles, then eggplant and spinach, then cheese and sauce. Its a wonderful way to make a delicious meal healthy as well.

I have never cooked lentils . I just don't know how...its never been a part of my dh's or my diet. I should look into cooking with lentils more often!

Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    Anyway, a great way to cook eggplant is to brush it with olive oil that has been seasoned with garlic (fry the olive oil with garlic until the garlic is just barely brown then brush on the eggplant...also excellent on bread) and grill it or bake it. You can also add basil or other italian seasonings. We eat a lot of eggplant. I made lasagna last night and I always put the noodles, then eggplant and spinach, then cheese and sauce. Its a wonderful way to make a delicious meal healthy as well.

Thanks for all the great advice!! I cook with a lot of spices and herbs so I am anxious to get Aidan on board. I will try to introduce a little to him at a time.

As for the eggplant...after baking it in the oven do you just give pieces of it to Haylee to eat? Or do you always combine it in a dish? I love eggplant. I usually steam it and put some seseame oil, tamari soy sauce and some chili's on it. Maybe I'll try to give some to Aidan...should be interesting!

[QUOTE=epbrown;116501](fry the olive oil with garlic until the garlic is just barely brown then brush on the eggplant...also excellent on bread) QUOTE]

ok...not for baby, but for me... what are the spices that are good to put in the olive oil for bread dipping?? ive only had it in restaraunts.....and they are already mixed up before pouring the oil
    we have been trying to eat healthier since lo has started eating.....so by the time he is eating alongside of us he wont be eating crap!! dh is all about the frozen garlic bread with every. single. meal.
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

[QUOTE=Blessedbee;116768]
    Quote Originally Posted by epbrown View Post
    (fry the olive oil with garlic until the garlic is just barely brown then brush on the eggplant...also excellent on bread) QUOTE]

ok...not for baby, but for me... what are the spices that are good to put in the olive oil for bread dipping?? ive only had it in restaraunts.....and they are already mixed up before pouring the oil
    we have been trying to eat healthier since lo has started eating.....so by the time he is eating alongside of us he wont be eating crap!! dh is all about the frozen garlic bread with every. single. meal.
    I sometimes put fresh rosemary in the olive oil...it's tasty. but rosemary isn't for everyone--it's pretty fragrant.

Also, DH and I love dipping warm foccacia bread in olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Yummy!!

For dipping...the roasted garlic with added fresh basil and/or tarragon is wonderful...and so is balsamic vinegar. And why not for the lo too? Dd loves everything we eat...and she is sooo petite that the added calories from the olive oil has to be good for her!

After we bake (we usually grill it) the eggplant I just cut it up into bitesize pieces and let her go to town. She loves feeding herself. I used to take the skin off, but I haven't done that since she was 8 months or so. I just got used to her gagging what she didn't want out of her mouth. Now, if she doesn't want something she digs it out herself!

I love eggplant. I usually steam it and put some seseame oil, tamari soy sauce and some chili's on it. Maybe I'll try to give some to Aidan...should be interesting!
    Just a caution here - sesame seeds (and tamari, and sesame oil I would guess) are "seeds" and therefore a potentially allergenic food - a friend of ours absentmindedly gave her son a taste of tamari and he had an allergic reaction... now has to avoid all seeds/nuts. The other flavours sound good though