Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe baby acne, any treatment ideas?

Default Severe baby acne, any treatment ideas?

My 1 week old has suddenly broken out in head to toe baby acne. It's so bad it almost looks like chicken pox or hives but the pediatrician assures me it's just acne. It seems to flare up after we've had a nursing session, I'm not sure if it's the milk(I've read it can be caused by maternal hormones) or just the warmth of being close to me but the worst of it is on his face, I would estimate there are at least a hundred pimples on his face. Do any experienced moms have any treatment ideas?

Default Re: Severe baby acne, any treatment ideas?

My baby has acne really bad too. Hers is worse after nursing, or when she is warm. Any help anyone has would be great!

I found a solution 10% Benzoyl peroxide. i read online that doctors can prescribe it for severe baby acne so i got out the bottle of Oxy I have for myself and put some of that on his forehead and cheeks and left it there without rinsing, they're gone just a few hours later!
    Last edited by RedheadMama26; January 21st, 2007 at 02:39 AM.

I would recommend doing... nothing. Baby acne is very common and temporary. I know its awful to see your beautiful child covered in acne, but its really nothing to worry about. Their skin is so sensitive, I would hesitate to use any sort of topical ointment unless expressly told to do so by your doctor. Wash their face daily with warm water and use some baby lotion (or Cetaphil cream), if you feel you must to something. Soon it will all just be a memory!

The ache is due to your hormones being all over the place right now, which is passed through your milk. Once they start to calm down, your sons ache will get better. I had the same thing with my son. After a short while it cleared up on its own. If you still want to put anything on it I really would ask your doc first. Baby skin is delicate so you should make sure it wont cause you son any further discomfort. My little one even had hard nipples because of the hormones in my milk...lol.

I am definitely in the do nothing camp. It is fine - just a part of being a baby. Your beatiful baby's skin will clear up before you know it.
    My son's was really bad too but it was gone in a flash. We have some really cute pics of it though. Relish the moment as just another phase in your baby's precious life.

Both of mine got it. I honestly wouldn't do anything. I wouldn't put anything on it or mess with it. It will clear on it's on and he'll have that beautiful baby skin again!

Yep - I echo the ppers. Its very common with BF babies. Just wait it out and it will clear up.

give me a break

Lightbulb Re: Severe baby acne, any treatment ideas?

Put some breastmilk on it. It will at least keep it free of bacteria. I find it soothes pretty much everything from hangnails to papercuts.