Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: another poop question

Default another poop question

My dd is 4 1/2 months old. Breast feeding has been going well for the most part. I have always suspected that she prefers the bottle as she is pretty impatient when the flow is not fast enough. Sometimes, I have to continually switch her from side to side after the milk flow slows to keep her at the breast. As of last week, she has started to get really frustrated before let down. She will cry and pull off until the milk comes, which meams it takes even longer for the milk to come. Also since last week she has had some green poop. She does not seem to be nursing for less time than she had been before last week, but I have always been concerned based on her eating habits that she would have a fore/hind milk imbalance. At first I thought the green poop was due to one day last week that I was gone all day and she had ebm all day, 20 ounces. My theory was that since I do not get much milk per pumping session that my ebm is most foremilk and less fatty because I cannot get even close to empyting my breasts expressing. But she has not had ebm since thursday of last week (exactly one week ago) and she had a green poop this morning.

Are there other explanations for greenish poop aside from hind/foremilk imbalance? And, how do you get a baby to stay on the breast so that she can get more hindmilk when she is crying and pulling away?

If I could express enough milk, I would gladly switch to exclusive ebm because her pulling away and crying is breaking me inside, but pumping is an entirely different (and unpleasant) issue.
    Thanks

Default Re: another poop question

Green poop in and of itself is completely normal. Sometimes green poop that is frothy can indicate a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance. And just because you don't get very much with a pump doesn't mean that your milk is mostly foremilk. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about green poop in and of itself unless baby is showing other signs of a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance.

Can you cut out the bottles she's receiving? Or perhaps try a slower flow nipple. That might help her stop being so impatient at the breast. You might also try pumping your milk until it let's down and then put baby to breast to see if that helps her impatience at all.

HTH!