Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 month old seems ready for solids - go ahead?

Default 5 month old seems ready for solids - go ahead?

Hi Group,

My LO will be 5 months old on Thursday, and she has become very interested in mealtimes over the last week or so. She reaches toward my plate and watches the food go from plate to fork to my mouth. I want to indulge her in this by letting her have a little avocado mush to grab/mouth/whatever, but is it too early? I looked up the BabyCenter list for 4-6 months, and she has all the following (except the characteristics that involve mouthing food - obviously we don't know about that yet!):

------------------------
    Signs of readiness for solid food
    Your baby probably won't do all these things — they're just clues to watch for.
    • Can hold head up
    • Sits well in highchair (well, she sits well supported - we don't have a high chair yet)
    • Makes chewing motions
    • Shows significant weight gain (birth weight has doubled)
    • Shows interest in food
    • Can close mouth around a spoon
    • Can move food from front to back of mouth
    • Can move tongue back and forth, but is losing tendency to push food out with tongue
    • Seems hungry after 8 to 10 feedings of breast milk or 40 oz. of formula in a day
    • Is teething
    -----------------------------------------

So should I go ahead and give it a try with her? I don't want to replace BM with food, I just want to allow her to follow her obvious interest.

Default Re: 5 month old seems ready for solids - go ahead?

The AAP recommends not starting solids until at least 6 months. See these links for information on starting solids, and why it's best to wait until at least 6 months:

Why Delay Solids?
    Solid food: Wait a Bit

When should my baby start solids?
    Is my baby ready for solid foods?
    How do we get started with solids?
    Solid food: Best Delayed

And this one is especially fitting for your situation:
    What if my 4-5 month old seems ready for solids?

All of the following organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (not the first 4-6 months):
    World Health Organization, UNICEF, US Department of Health & Human Services, American Academy of Pediatrics, American Academy of Family Physicians, American Dietetic Association, Australian National Health and Medical Research Council, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, Health Canada
    Hope this information helps! Let us know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

I started my DS at 5mos because of the same reasons, he seemed ready then I also read that list on babycenter and went ahead ang gave him mashed avacado and he loves it. he's only eating one meal a day still and it has not in any way taken away from any of his nursing. he still nurses as many times a day as he did before and the length of time at the breast also has not changed. If you feel you want your baby to try it, I say go ahead. He loved avacado and I read in Super Baby Foods avacado is the best 1st food for as young as 4mos. It's very nutritous

Even though our 4 mo old was interested at meal times and putting everything in his mouth, I read most of the sources listed by Annie (p-t-m) above and we decided to not start offering foods until after our LO's 6 month b-day. I highly recommend those resources!

The pedi gave an ok for rice cereal if we wanted at 4 mo and the grandmothers are very eager to see our LO on solids, but we decided to wait.

We're going to take a very gradual approach to solids by offering foods and letting him decide what he's ready to eat at his own pace.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Hi all,

Thank you for the responses. I read the link p-t-m included about 4-5 month olds' non-readiness, and it suggested giving baby a cup with water or breastmilk, but I have not successfully pumped milk. I think I'd rather try pumping again though, to see if LO might want to try sipping like us "big folks" before going for the real food. That would probably be novel enough for her, maybe the novelty of liquid in a cup would even last until she's 6 months...?

Do you start with a sippy cup or a regular cup? I've never used a bottle with her so that's not something she'd know how to use either.

On the other hand, I am pretty sure that LO will not actually eat much, if any, of the stuff she would grab if I gave her access to it. I guess I'm eager to give her a plate of mashed avocado on the belief that food in the first year is as much about exploration as it is about feeding oneself. I want to indulge her in the fun of it, not the intake per se.

Mine has been experimenting with solids since 4mos. He doesn't really eat a substantial amount which for the time being of course is ok. I started for the same reasons as you mentioned. In addition he has 3 older sibblings whom he was soooo eagerly watching so I went for it. He eats 3-4 baby spoons of cereal or fruits or sweet potato once or twice a day. I make sure i nurse him before, and by no means has it decreased his nursing, well he is a super fast nurser anyway....