Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Tips for first few weeks?

Default Tips for first few weeks?

My first few weeks are coming up soon and I just want to get your tips as experienced moms on how to balance not sleeping and keeping up with my committment to want to breastfeed.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

Default Re: Tips for first few weeks?

Definitely accept help whenever you can - let a friend or family member do the dishes, cook a meal, etc. If dishes or laundry pile up, don't sweat it. And sleep whenever your lo sleeps - that was my big mistake the first few weeks. I tried to be super mom and keep up with everything, when really, I just needed to rest up. Good luck!!

oooo set up a nursing island... One mom on here ( I think DJ's mom) told me to set up a nurisng island. So on the couch with remotes, water, juice, magazines, snacks and anything else i could think of then i could just relax and nurse... I didnt do it the first few days and man did i wish i had! Once I started doing it it was great!!
    I actually miss those days alreday just laying around nursing DD...
    Newly Pregnant momma to My little Miss Gracie with a little sibling on the way.

Let your DH know how much of a help he'll be by bringing your whatever it is you'll need and how he can bond with your little angel by carrying him/her around and soothing him/her while you get an hour's worth of r&r.

Make a lot of food now and freeze it in single or two-portion servings for easy meals. Make as much as you possibly can. Get rid of the ice cubes and use your entire freezer for this noble purpose

Go online and set up payment of your bills for the next 2 to 3 months. I was so dazed for so long that I almost missed a couple of payments...Yikes! Set up a reminder for yourself at the end of this period, lest you forget to get back into the rhythm of bill-paying. I wish I had done this. Seriously.

RELAX and ENJOY. I gotta say, you are probably the best-prepared mommy I've ever met! Rock on with your bad self!

I'm in week three with my first child. I strongly suggest the nursing island/station stocked with water in a bottle (so you can reach it then set it on the couch/chair without worry of spilling) snacks and some extra rags and pillows. Also, keep some contact info nearby for your LLL leader or someone who can help you with breastfeeding support. i think most moms I've reached out to for help in the last three weeks have had a rough start and needed some support to get through the rough spots.
    Best wishes!

Thank you ladies! I'm sure I'll look to all of you during my first few weeks.
    Mom to Colin Robert - Born on January 28, 2007

Check out my website:
    www.nycbreastfeeding.com

do nothing but nurse! Let your hubby handle everything else.
    You rest and take care of the baby and he takes care of you.
    at least for the 1st 2 weeks while your getting to know the baby.

Rest when baby sleeps. Take a nice afternoon nap! Get some books or magaizines to read.

You might want to restrict your visitors a little, too. We only had family visit for the first couple of weeks, which also can get draining. But, with friends, I think you sometimes feel more obligated to "entertain", even if you aren't doing anything, you might feel more obligated to stay awake, even if baby is sleeping, etc. And, as I'm sure you've read or heard from others, get your sleep when you can!

Lisa

Along with restricting visitors - also feel free to turn off the ringer on your phone(s) when you're napping. I've heard that some moms leave an outgoing message on their answering machine with a baby update.

Totally agree with averyone else's suggestions about:
    - accepting offers for help, including having people bring over food
    - sleep when baby sleeps
    - set up a comfortable nursing station
    - get DH as involved as possible with baby (diaper changes, soothing, etc)
    - forget about housework, laundry, etc (or get DH to do this stuff!)
    - take time to take care of yourself ... shower, get a break, take a walk, etc

And also - don't watch the clock when nursing LO.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Totally give yourself a "babymoon" by following all the above instructions I didn't do that with my first, and I regret it. But I truly enjoyed the babymoon I got with baby Colton! I literally let everything go except my kids for two weeks, and then I only took care of kids and horses. It was hard to see DH doing stuff I wouldn't do, and it was a pain to have to bug him to do other stuff, but we survived. It was wonderful to just stay in bed and watch my baby sleep and then fall asleep myself.

Drink LOTS of water. Not only are you making milk, but your body has to flush the extra fluids left over from pregnancy.

I started a thread in the pregnancy section on what helped you PP. There's probably some good tips there.

Biggest thing is to relax
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!