Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Am I giving DD enough solids?

Default Re: Am I giving DD enough solids?

marie1965....how long have you fed rice for?? did you let your lo feed it to herself?? also, with the whole grain toast...do you put butter on it or anything to soften it?? i wanted to try whole grain but was afraid of the chunks in it......
    evin...i just started a thread on the specific foods people are giving..im hoping to get some good suggestions
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~

Glad you started this. I have been wondering too. Mia is just not interested in much of anything besides squash which she will ravish like a mad woman and banana. I'll be watching for the other thread too. What can we say, our girls know Mama's milk is the best.

Evin,
    I am glad too you started this thread, as I've been wondering myself if my almost 8mo. LO is getting enough solids. And when I found the WHO chart I was really surprised and a bit worried because dd eats solids nowhere near the guidlines on the chart, if she even eats at all. My understanding from what you ladies have been posting here is that solids don't play a real nutritional role between 6 and 12 mo, it is just for learning and experimenting, and here comes WHO with this chart with IMO enormous quantities of solids for a 8 mo old infant...
    Sorry, no real advice here I am in the same boat....

Shiloh was eating a lot of food at the early afternoon time (when my milk is lowest) but just recently he's been refusing most solids. He just refuses to let me feed him with a spoon or feed himself. He won't even play with the food...he starts to cry the minute I get him near the high chair. I've tried putting him on the floor in the kitchen to eat, and he'll pick up a few things, but not much. Today he ate a few bites of sweet taters, so that was an accomplishment. I still offer him a wide variety of foods and we try several times a day, and i really TRY not to worry. He is still good on output and everything else though, so we'll see.

But nowhere near the amount that the WHO suggests. Good luck and lets TRY not to worry together!
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

marie1965 is offline Shares Widely And Frequently

Quote Originally Posted by Blessedbee View Post
    marie1965....how long have you fed rice for?? did you let your lo feed it to herself?? also, with the whole grain toast...do you put butter on it or anything to soften it?? i wanted to try whole grain but was afraid of the chunks in it......
    evin...i just started a thread on the specific foods people are giving..im hoping to get some good suggestions

i started the brown rice at about 8 months... and the toast at 9 months...

she feeds herself most things... i cut the toast (with some butter on it... says they should have some fats) into small pieces (probably about the same size as an O cereal) and set them on her tray...

i set the rice on her tray, but I also do some spoon feeding for the rice/lentil mixture as she's funny about picking up the lentils--she shakes them off her hands like they bother her, but she likes to be fed them...

sometimes i offer her the spoon (like with yogurt or oatmeal on it) and sometimes she takes it and tries to put it in her mouth, and sometimes she pulls her hand back and opens her mouth, basically saying she wants to me to feed her, not feed herself...

i do see some grainy things in her poops in her diaper... not sure if those are just the hulls or if they are the whole grain... but she never has an upset tummy from them or gets gassy....

i'll put my whole list on your other thread... and the pp is right; if they aren't hungry for solids, it's probably okay that they're not eating as much as that chart says... as long as they don't act hungry and are getting enough from breastmilk

cool thanks for the details im nervous about rice because it seems easy to inhale....but we have it so often that it would be cool to be able to give it to ds as a choice too... austin does the same thing with the spoon....sometimes insists on putting it in his mouth himself (then he sucks the food off it) or like, hands up...you do it!
    ~To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world~