Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: i disagree with the pediatrician

Default i disagree with the pediatrician

hi....

i took my DD to the pediatrician for her 4 month check-up. she is 13 pounds, 26 inches, and is EBF. the pediatrican instructed us to start her out on cereal.

i don't want to do this. my DD has not shown that she is ready for anything other than breastmilk.

can i just ignore a pediatrician's instructions?

should i look for another pediatrician who follows my beliefs?

Default Re: i disagree with the pediatrician

You don't have to follow the pediatrician's advice. It's your child, not the pedi's. This would fall under the category of parenting advice, not medical advice IMO. You do what feels natural to you. You don't have to bring it up at the pedi's office, just do what you think is right. On the other hand, if it comes up, you can just politely disagree with the advice and say that we're just not ready to start solids yet.

There are great resources on this website, and probably Dr. Sears' website about starting solids no earlier 6 months, rather than before, as well as what foods are best to start with.

Also, this wouldn't be something that would break the bank as far as finding a new pedi....if you feel, though, that you're constantly at odds with his/her advice, then find another one.

Lisa

there are some good links about starting solids here on the web site...
    http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBsolids.html

I Like this link:

http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug01p150.html

the last point is the most improtant...
    Your baby is the true authority. Your baby can tell you just when supplemental food is a very good idea and when the time has not yet come. Here are some signs that your baby is ready, physically and emotionally:

Your baby is at least five to six months old.
    Your baby weighs at least fourteen pounds. Ideally, a baby who is ready for solids is at least double his birth weight.
    Your baby can sit up, with support. Your baby has control of his head and neck.
    Your baby has plenty of saliva to begin digestion of food.
    Your baby has the ability to transfer food from the front to the back of the mouth. Your baby's throat muscles have developed a stronger, more mature swallowing ability. Babies are born with a tongue-thrust reflex, so that their instinct is to push food outward and forward. That's survival instinct, so that the baby will not choke on food or other substances. This instinct disappears after about four months, when the baby has developed other options, such as chewing and swallowing.
    Your baby has a tooth or two. This should be at five to seven months old.
    Your baby is capable of refusing food. The ability of turning away and indicating a negative decision does not develop until the baby is about five months old.
    Your baby likes to imitate other people. Your baby is showing distinct interest in other people's food. Your baby reacts with interest to the sights, sounds, and odors of cooking.
    Your baby can reach and handle and perhaps try to taste or eat-food, toys, and other objects.
    Your baby is not ill and has no rashes.
    lf you start solid foods too early, you may be taking risks.
    Your baby may gag on, choke on, or cough up solid food.
    You run the risk of decreasing your milk supply. Since human milk is perfect for human babies, then any other food is inferior. If you begin too early, you could be replacing superior nourishment with inferior nourishment. Even formula may be better than too early solid foods.
    Your baby is not learning to eat only when hungry. A baby has control over how much human milk to take. Below a certain level of maturity, your baby does not have control over how much other food to take. A baby who must take in food and cannot indicate "no" in any way, is not learning to regulate intake of food. Perhaps as a result, early feeding has been associated with becoming overweight later on, even into adulthood.
    With too-early food, your baby runs an increased risk of allergic reactions. If you wait a while to serve the same food, your baby may never have an allergic reaction.
    With too-early food, your baby runs the risk of poor digestion and poor absorption of food. That's almost certain. At best, food given too early passes through his system undigested.
    Warning: Early solids will NOT ..
    Help your baby sleep through the night.
    Make your baby less fussy.
    Make your baby develop earlier or grow up faster.
    Provide superior nutrition

heres a link that compaires baby foods to breastmilk:
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/index.html
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

doctors are used to dealing with formula fed babies and not breastfeed ones.
    Your milk is best well into the 1st 6 months.. some babies don't start eating solid foods untill they are around 1.

I don't know that I'd personally switch doctors just for that issue...I'd just ignore him. But I just wanted to make a comment...don't count out family practice doctors. they can do a very good job of taking care of the whole family, and are usually less pushy and less stiff about things concerning baby.
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

This topic came up on Dr.Phil on Friday when Dr.Sears and his sons the Drs.Sears were the guests. They said that starting babies on simple carbohydrates like rice cereal is a bad idea because they are not as nutritious or calorically valuable as fruits and vegetables. He recommended mashed bananas as a much better choice for a first food.

The AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics) recommends NO foods before 6 months. This is the current recommendation. Unfortunately, many doctors and even baby books continue to suggest starting solids at 4-6 months, and sometimes even earlier. There are very valid, scientific reasons for delaying solid foods until the middle of the first year. Dr. William Sears, renowned and highly respected pediatrician, explains that the baby's digestive system is not mature enough to handle anything else for at least as long as the AAP recommends. Here's a page about solids. The more you know, the better choices you can make.

You are the first expert on your baby. You might try showing your doctor the newest recommendations on starting solids and see how he receives this information. If he seems adverse to accurate information and stands firm in his previous recommendation, it couldn't hurt to "shop around" for a pediatrician whom you can trust to supply you with accurate information to support you and your baby in his health care.

Best wishes!

--Eve

Our ped said we could start solids as well (rice cereal) at our 4 month appt, too. I told him I was going to wait a couple of months, he said that was fine. She's getting plenty of nutrition from breast milk. As long as she's content with BFing, I'm not going to start anything else.

I also ignored the ped's suggestion to use a vitamin D supplement... and he's never even asked about it since he suggested we start it at her two month appt. I agree with some of the PP, if you're constantly at odds with your ped, then find another, but if it's just the issue of starting solids, I probably wouldn't switch.

thanks, ladies!

i guess i have never disagreed with any of my doctors, so i didn't know what to do, when i disagreed with sophia's pediatrician. silly, i know.

i might "shop around" for a new pediatrician. the solids issue is only one of a few things that made me uneasy, on the last appointment. (ie: one of the nurses assumed i was using formula, and tried to push a few canisters my way. she looked quite surprised when i said that i BF....and the pediatrician didn't ask us any questions about sophia besides, "is she starting to roll over?" and "how are her BMs?"

You may have all the advice you want, but I went through the same thing. I did a LOT of reading, and found several sources that stated pediatricians are NOT nutritionists and are, as others stated, generally used to formula-fed babies. My advice would be to stick to what you know is right. These moms will give you much more correct and applicable information when it comes to feeding babies than a pediatrician ever will. And I agree - often family doctors can be quite valuable - they've seen it all and have a different perspective. My little guy is over 6 months and we've just started solids. He thinks they are novel, but they are by no means sustaining him! We have one solid food a day - sometimes none.

Smile Re: i disagree with the pediatrician

Hi, PGH. Before you start over with a new doc, I was wondering if you told your pediatrician how you felt? I took my son for his 4 month appt today and I was surprised when my pedi talked to me about starting rice cereal, too. I immediately asked about waiting until 6 months or later, and she was totally supportive. She only wanted me to know that I could start it now if I wanted to, and made it clear that it was NOT intended as form of supplementation to breast milk, but described it as a fun new way for my baby to try something new if we wanted to. She even went on to say that she was more likely to suggest the cereal to formula-fed babies for various reasons, and that my baby certainly was happy and healthy being EBF.
    In my experience, most doctors and nurses want to give you information so that you can make an informed decision on your own. I hope your doctor wasn't one of those stodgy, self-righteous, "don't question me because I'm the doctor" types. If you like your doc otherwise, try some open communication. I hope you will have good luck finding a health care provider you trust and like.

Katie