Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush---- Need help

Unhappy Thrush---- Need help

Im ready to give up and this is my last hope for help. We have had clogged ducts, thrush, latch issues etc. I also have sent a LLL help form about 2 weeks ago and never heard anything back on that. I have been diagnosed with thrush and both the baby and I are on Nystatin suspension. He gets it in his mouth every 6 hrs and I put it on my nipples after every feeding. I dont feel that it has gotten better and we have been using the medication for over a week. I want to cry every time he nurses and almost dread having to feed him because it hurts so bad. I almost get upset at the baby sometimes for pulling off when I know it isnt his fault that he is just trying to eat. I have Kaiser Insurance and have tried getting help from them and the only thing that they have done is had a lactation consultant talk to me over the phone and perscribed this medication.

I also think that maybe now we are having latch issues also because it sometimes hurts longer than just 15-20 seconds after latch on like the LC said that the thrush would do. I use a boppy pillow to keep him up level and latch him on like the showed us in the hospital.

I would love to continue nursing but at this rate I just cant. I am in some desperate need of help.

Thank you

Jessica

Default Re: Thrush---- Need help

How old is your baby? Also, how long have you been having problems? I had pain and thought it was a latch issue and it ended up it was thrush, too. I did not know until my DD's 1 mo checkup, she had a "diaper rash" that the ped said was thrush and she asked me if I was having nursing issues. It took about 2 weeks for it to fully clear up once I started using the Nystatin and it has come back several times (I actually have an appt tomorrow w/OB and I'm going to ask/beg him to put me on Diflucan). I strongly recommend that you find a LLL Leader in your area to talk to. The one I talked to about latch problems was very helpful-she offered to come to my house and help me through latching on so that she could correct baby's latch. You may also want to call a Lactation Consultant and make an appt-I can through the hospital I delivered at. There are also breastfeeding support groups that meet at our hospital, as well as monthly LLL meetings.

I do sympathize with wanting to give up nursing... I'm glad I stuck with it and so very glad that I sought help to correct a bad latch... it was causing bleeding nipples that led to an infection. Please get help and if the thrush is not better soon call your doctor and insist that he/she see you immediately (I get a very casual attitude from my doc about stuff like this, it's like he doesn't take me seriously.) Good luck,

Beth

He is 6 weeks old. I had cracked and bleeding nipples in the hospital and those cleared up because i had to pump only and feed him breastmilk in a bottle. We went back to breastfeeding only about 3 weeks ago and I have had clogged ducts, sore nipples, thrush and now I guess I have latch issues along with the thrush still.

Thanks for your help

Jessica

Jessica --

Don't give-up; you can overcome this! It may take some work and patience but you can get through it!!!

I have six children (ages 8--6mo) and have nursed them all. I am also a certified Bradley instructor and a certified doula (DONA). I have battled thrush during the early months of nursing, with my last three babies. Thrush is a yeast infection. Your body and your baby's are depleted of the friendly intestinal flora that keep away the yeasties. Here are some things you may be able to try:

1. Probiotics --- Go to the nearest healthfood store and ask a knowlegable person to help you find the highest quality acidolphilus they sell. You should likely double or triple what the suggested dose is -- you cannot take too much of this stuff. Now you should not take probiotics with other herbs (like garlic) because they can destroy the good bacteria before it is able to help you. You can also give this to your baby, if you buy a powder form. You can just dip your finger in the powder and have your baby suck it off. Probiotics will restore the good bacteria in you system. Which will help your body fight off the yeast.

2. Vitamin C & garlic -- Boost your immune system. A great way too get extra vitamin C without the sugar that comes in juice -- is with Emergen-C. It is a powder that you add water to and drink -- It comes in a ton of flavors. Garlic is good also -- just take a couple hour away from when you take the probiotics. Both of these things will boost your immune system to fight off the yeast.

3. Stay AWAY from SUGAR! Sugar feeds yeast! You need to eat lots of veggies and protein foods -- there is a website that talks about this .. try typing in Pat Gima's yeast treatment plan and see what you find.

4. Gentian Violet -- This one is kinda weird but it works. You can get this very cheap at a drug store. You may have to ask the pharmacist for it. It is a purple liquid. I have found it makes the least amount of mess if you dip a q-tip into it and then swab the baby's mouth with it. Then immediately latch the baby on to nurse. This way both your nipples and the baby's mouth are getting treated at the same time. It is an antifungal and it will kill the yeast. I think you should only use it for 3 days. Do a search on it and see what others suggest.

5. For nipple pain -- I make my own nipple cream by mixing Lotrimin AF (generics are fine) and Neosporin Plus. If your nipples are traumatized you need some relief. You can mix these together and apply as needed -- you should wipe it off before nursing.

6. Last Resort -- The big gun is to get a prescription of Diflucan. It is a major antifungal and kills the stuff. I have found that the one or two pill thing does not work. If you have a persistant thrush infection you will need to be on the 13 day regimen. I had to take diflucan after my 4th and 5th babies. It worked -- but after baby #6 I was prepared and fought away the thrush with all the other things I mentioned above. Diflucan can be an expensive medication and you will likely have to get permission from your insurance company to get it.

I hope some of this is helpful to you! Don't give-up -- your baby needs mama's milk!!!

Kristin Lewis AAHCC

Jessica --

I forgot one thing -- I saw you mentioned plugged ducts. I have also battled this. There are two things I have found help this. First -- are you drinking enough WATER? You should be drinking 64oz of plain water everyday. Plugged ducts can often stem from dehydration. Then if you are doing this and still having trouble -- you can take a Lecithin supplement. Some people are prone to plugged ducts. Lecithin is found naturally in some foods -- eggs and soy products are good sources. It helps break down fatty substances in your body. When ducts are clogged it helps breakdown the clog. I get the 400 miligram concentrate bottle from Wal-Mart. When I'm having trouble with plugged ducts, I take about 2-3 of them 3 times a day. When I'm not having trouble, I take 2 of them each night before bed.

I had such trouble with plugged ducts with my first three babies. My pediatrician told me about the Lecithin and it has totally improved my nursing days.

Hope this helps --
    Kristin Lewis AAHCC

Thank you so much for all of your advice I will definately try all those things before I give up. I truly enjoy nursing once I look past the pain!!!!

Jessica

Question Re: Thrush---- Need help

This is a very helpful thread. My question on top of the original question is how do you know you have thrush? I kind of suspect I do but I don't have the pain. Just an initial latch on pain every now and then. However, my dd's tongue stays white. Like it is coated or something. So I suspect that it is yeast. Can I just use the genetian violet or is it not yeast.
    Thanks.

Well -- it's hard to say without seeing it.

I have treated with Gentian Violet when my babies tongues were thickly coated white. I saw an improvement within a couple of days; so I knew it was yeast.

You may want to call your baby's Dr.

Kristin Lewis AAHCC

Quote Originally Posted by MaddysMom
    Can I just use the genetian violet or is it not yeast.
    Thanks.
    Genetian violet can be used if you suspect a yeast problem, and if it is not yeast, it won't harm you or your baby. If it is yeast, it should clear up.

Thanks ladies.