Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: wet diapers

Default wet diapers

amongst some other issues we have been having I am wondering what constitutes a wet diaper? I can get 4-5 per day, including the soppy wet one DS wakes up with in the morning if I change him a lot but i feel in those cases almost like i'm wasting diapers since they are really not very wet at all. So if i wait till they are wet I would only get 3 diapers a day including morning one. I am really worried now

Default Re: wet diapers

Don't be. How old is your LO? A wet diaper consists of a couple of tablespoons of liquid. What they actually pee. The #of wets for a baby in disposeable is only 4-6. That sound like one more than you think you'd get. But lets look at that. So Your saying besides the night diaper you only would have to change your baby twice a day??? If that's true I would be concerned. If besides the night diaper you'd have to change at least 3 diapers a day, plus the night diaper your fine. Also diapers aren't meant to be used as septic systems so you can count them as "wet" as soon as they have been urinated in. That's why the # goes up to 6-8 in cloth diapers. Because your more aware of wetness. In the hospital I was totally scared of dehydration and the nurses actually had to cut the diapes open to know that he had peed. As soon as I came home and started using cloth I was at ease. SO if you can feel squishiness (the pee getting turned into gel) then it counts!

Way too lazy for formula

thanks DJ's mom. He just turned 5mos. the problem being that he nurses for such a short amount of time. A few minutes only. Right after letdown he fusses and cries if i try to get him back on. He is only in the 10th percentile for weight and 4th for head circ. the doctor said that he should really be gaining some weight. Did not suggest supplementing but trying to increase nursing time. Doc suggested that i let him go longer betw feedings to get more of an appetite maybe. Well, that doesn't do the trick either. so i offer often since i am so worried. but i don't know if he is really so efficient. I also think that this lack of stimulation is harming my supply, daycare says he looks really small and they totally stuff him while he's there. but ok ..... at least he is being filled with something good i just wish that when i am with him nursing would be easier and not so fussy and especially at least last a few minutes more

maybe something here at this link will help
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/enoughmilk-older.html

is he getting bottles at day care?Some babies like the bottle beter then the breast and will fuss.
    Last edited by andrea_ohio; January 21st, 2007 at 03:52 PM.

Hi Ryna,
    It sounds like you have a few different concerns here. Hopefully we can address them. Do you know if you have a local LLLL? It is always helpful to have someone to speak with in person!

You are worried about ds's urine output and on top of that your doctor seems to think that ds has had slow weight gain, right? Could you tell us his weight/height stats up to now? (birth, lowest, other checks, and now).

If it makes you feel any better, babies do certainly come in all shapes and sizes, just as adults. I hope you can take what the DCPs say about ds with a grain of salt. You mentioned them "stuffing" him while at DC. Is this pumped milk? How much/how often?

How great that you have a doc supportive of BF! He is right that you should increase BF. Increasing BF (and consequently BM taken in) is the best way to increase weight. Ounce per ounce BM has the most calories of anything a baby could eat. You may wish to check this link. http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html
    (Not LLL)

Is ds eating any solids yet?

Encouraging ds to go longer in between feeds is not the most effective way to get him to eat more. I would encourage you to nurse ds on cue, anytime, as long as he wants.

You are also concerned that the lack of stimulation from short feedings could be hurting your supply. I want to assure you that some babies truly are efficient nursers, especially as they get older. Your body will make as much milk as ds tells it to make.

Finally, could you expand a little more on the fussiness? How long has it been happening? What exactly does it look like? (What does he do?) Have there been any changes in your diet/lifestyle lately? Has ds been ill? Anything you can think of?

Hang in there and we will try to find you the info you need!
    Last edited by LLLKate; January 21st, 2007 at 07:27 PM. Reason: clarity

thanks Kate
    ok well his weights are the following. birthweight 6lbs. 10oz. at one month 9lbs. 5oz, at two months 10lbs 7oz, and at four months 13lbs. HC at one month 37 cm, at two months 38 cm, at four months 40cm.
    this is his nursing behavior now. He starts and i think is impatient for let-down, he makes whiny sounds while sucking and legs are kicking and arms are all over the place. When letdown comes he settles down and drinks for maybe 2-3 minutes,and then either is seemingly done, pulls off, fusses, cries when i try to get him back on, or other times he will get on and off repeatedly for 2 sucks on/off alternating. i noticed today when I was at a frustrated point that when i put him down on his back and then fed him by being on all fours over him (someone once told me about this) he suddenly continued to eat happily for another minute or two (this is major for us!) It seems that he doesn't like cradle hold or for that matter any other of those positions that has him like that. what also works ok for us is him lying on top of me we do this for night feedings/or day. but how can i do this in public, LOL? I can't really see anyone with him now since I am always at work and we have had this problem (short fussy feedings)right from the start. When i was still able to go to meetings LLL or others, I was told that either it is gas or that he must just be done, while all other babies were happily nursing on and on and on .So we burped and tried but it's all the same.

At the DCP he gets BM mostly unless they don't have enough then i have a can of formula there just in case, he doesn't have solids really except for a few spoons (tastes)here and there since he seemed really interessted. Otherwise no changes recently and no illnesses.

thank you and sorry that this description is so long it's hard to put in words sometimes what they do.