Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Low Milk Supply

Default Low Milk Supply

My dd is now 71/2 mo old and over the past two weeks my milk supply seems to have suddenly diminished. For example, I normally pump 3x a day and nurse 3-4 times a day in addition. When I pump I usually get about 9-10 oz per day, around 3oz a session. The last two weeks I've suddenly dropped to about 6-7 oz pumping a day and I feel "empty" all the time. On the weekends I nurse on demand. LO doesn't seem to be as satisfied while nursing and doesn't nurse as long either and will pull off the breast and cry like she's wanting more, but there's not much coming. She eats solids very well and loves them! I usually feed her cereal or some fruit in the morning after she nurses and then some more cereal or pureed vegies in the afternoon after nursing again. She also eats more veggies or cereal in the evening around our dinner time. I am very concerned about my supply and I make sure I drink tons of water. I've been trying to take goat's rue, which tastes horrid, but that doesn't seem to be making much difference. I called the LC and they said that there wasn't anything that could be done. I felt like they were kind of like, oh well, too bad for you. It was very discouraging. Any suggestions as to why I might be loosing my supply and what to do about it? Also I have PCOS so I do not normally have periods so I don't know if that hormonal imbalance is having any effect.

Default Re: Low Milk Supply

I'm so sorry that you got that attitude from your LC. Do you have a local LLL leader?

PCOS can sometimes cause supply issues. Also, sometimes women notice a drop in milk supply right before and during their period. Another possibility...could you be pregnant?

I've never heard of goat's rue, so not much help there. Many women find that eating oatmeal helps increase their milk.

Is there anything else that has changed about your life lately? Are you busy taking on new projects, under more stress, spending less time with your baby, etc? Are you eating right and getting enough rest? It is important to drink enough water when you are thirsty, but overdrinking, or forcing yourself to drink when you're not thirsty, has not been shown to increase milk supply.

If you can, try to slow down for a couple of days and spend a lot of time with your baby. Give baby lots of skin to skin contact and encourage her to nurse more often. Even at 7.5 months, the law of supply and demand is still at work: the more baby nurses, the more milk you will make. It is possible that your baby is going through a growth spirt, and the seeming loss of supply is only temporary until your body kicks into gear to meet her increasing demand.

I hope that helps. Keep me posted!

Tiana

Thanks for the quick reply, and no, not pregnant. I do have a local LLL leader, I will give her a call and see what she says too. I have tried oatmeal too, and that does seem to help a little bit, but there's only so much oatmeal a person can eat I think! Thanks for the suggestions, I will try to see if LO will nurse a little bit more often and see if that helps too.

I started taking Motherlove More Milk Plus, go to motherlove.com see if you can find a store in your area that carries it. Started a week ago, I noticed my supply increased. My breasts don't feel so empty all the time, they seem like they feel fuller in between nursing sessions like they did before. I also eat oatmeal almost everyday and have increased my protein intake. Good luck!