Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: new to pumping w/lots of ????

Cool new to pumping w/lots of ????

My LO is 6 weeks and I am starting to introduce the bottle to her since I have to go back to work at the end of March. I have read that I can give my LO room temp milk that has been out for no more than 4 hours and was wondering if I can safely store the milk in my refrigerator since she did not want the bottle today? What about milk that has been in the refrigerator 7 days can I store it in the frezzer?

It appears that I have a oversupply problem in the evening since my LO becomes fussy, unlatches and milk drips all over us. Would this be the best time to pump prior to feeding her? Or would this be ideal for me to pump so that DH can give her a fresh bottle of milk?

Do I need to give her a bottle everyday to get her adjusted b4 I go back to work? If yes, how many ounces should a 6 week old be getting at each bottle feeding?

Do I need to start pumping everyday and storing my milk b4 returning to work?

I would really appreciate any feedback. This is my first time posting and I have so many questions!

Default Re: new to pumping w/lots of ????

i don't know the answers, just what i do.

i try not to put a bottle in the fridge after it sat out for longer than 4 hour, that being said i have done it and it was fine. i've also gone 5 hours with a bottle left out and it was ok. the things i've read say 4-10 hours which is a long range, but i read somewhere about 72 degrees or under (so if you have a cold house) you can leave it out for a longer time. i try not to push the freezer thing, but it's just me, if i haven't frozen the milk in 3 days, i freeze what ever i have.

i have used this website to base abouts of milk needed http://www.fourfriends.com/cgi-bin/milk.pl

as far as the rest of them, i'd be guessing on answers so i'd rather let someone else give you their advice. Good luck and congratulations on you new LO.

Welcome to the boards!

Here is another link that may help you with regard to storage of breastmilk.

Good luck!
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

thanks! sites were very helpful!

I found this site to be very helpful:

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/T026900.asp

It includes a chart for save or dump milk in various situations (like "Milk remaining in the bottle that has been offered to baby")
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)

Quote Originally Posted by MexMami View Post
    Do I need to give her a bottle everyday to get her adjusted b4 I go back to work? If yes, how many ounces should a 6 week old be getting at each bottle feeding?

Do I need to start pumping everyday and storing my milk b4 returning to work?
    We started a bottle at 4 weeks and did one every day (given by DH) to keep baby used to the bottle before starting day care at 12 weeks. Usually DH would give the bottle in the evening and once we were sure our baby was taking the bottle I'd pump at the same time.

Here's another resource to help figure out how much your LO may need:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/milkcalc.html

I think at 6 weeks we were doing 3 oz bottles and then if baby was still hungry I'd top him off at the breast.

Most moms like to build up a freezer supply before going back to work. If you already think you have oversupply be careful not to pump too much and make the oversupply problem worse. Most moms have the most milk first thing in the morning so that can be a good time to pump.

After you start freezing your milk, I recommend doing a test to thaw some out and make sure you don't have lipase problems. If you've been keeping milk in the fridge for 7 days without any problems then you're probably ok. Read through posts in the milk storage forum - there are several moms who've found out the hard way that their freezer stash wasn't useable and had to toss the whole thing.

I've been back at work for 3 months and don't have a freezer stash. I pump each day for what my LO will need the next day at day care. So far I've been able to avoid needing to travel for work so this has worked out ok.
    Lynn
    DS1: bf 7/2006 -> 4/2009; multiple food allergies
    DS2: bf 9/2009 -> ???
    ; multiple food allergies
    Breastmilk Donor - http://hmbana.org/index/donatemilk
    Click HERE to learn about baby led solids (BLS) / baby led weaning (BLW)