Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: unsure about rice cereal

Default unsure about rice cereal

ok, I took my daughter to the dr. today for her 4 month appointment. Everything is great except she is not growing very quickly. She actually dropped from the 25th percentile to the 5th in all areas. I feed on breastfeed on demand and she seems to be satisfied after she eats. During the day she goes about 2 hours between feedings and cluster feeds at night. She still wakes up 3-4 times at night to eat.

Due to her slow growth the dr. suggested that I start rice cereal mixed with breastmilk. She did not tell me to introduce any other solids. Is this ok? I know that waiting until 6 months is best but will it really make a difference if I do cereal now?

Default Re: unsure about rice cereal

I hate when Dr's base infants and childrens growth by those charts only because not everyone in the world is the same size, am I right. (well they do have the degree) I think maybe she told you to start on cereal only to increase her appetite which will in turn make her want to feed more because I can't see the cereal like giving her all these added nutrients to make her grow the way the book says. I could be wrong but I'm just scared I guess as to what my doc is gonna say to my 4 mo. old when she goes for her appt. A lot of people when they see her say Oh my god she's so tiny and sometimes after youv'e heard it from like 5 different people I guess you start wondering is she really that small? My hairdressers daughter is a month older and she ebf and this cute little girl is like huge, she's got the michelin legs goin on and everything but then I look at my hairdresser and she's way taller than me and her husband is the same as her and I'm like 5'2" and well I guess to me that explains it. Anyway I didn't mean to make this long but all in all breastmilk is really all she needs right now, to me giving her cereal now would be to fill her up more so. Any other mom's out there can you help I may be a little wrong but thats what I would think.

I wouldn't give the cereal. First of all, its really too early IMO (and AAP and WHO's opinion) to give solids. 1. BM is far superior in every way, including fat and calories 2. if you were going to give solids to fatten her up, rice cereal really isn't the way to go. 3. you run the risk of her getting so full on empty calories that she'll not want to nurse, and then she'll end up worse off than when you started.

My question is..did she actually LOSE weight, or is she just slowing down but still gained? DS gained almost no weight at all between months 4 and 6...he gained 6 ozs in 2 months...THAT'S IT. But then he gained almost 2 lbs between months 6 and 8. Babies can slow down, but if she's still gaining weight...even if its slowly, then she should be fine. Like you said, you are only 5'2"...how tall is your DH? She may just be smaller for her age.

I might wait and see between months 4 and 6 what she does weight gain wise. Obviously watch her output of wet/poopy diapers...make sure she's getting enough to eat, and then re-evaluate in a few months. That's what I'd do...her tummy really is tiny to start on solids.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Leslie
    All over the world there exists in every society a small group of women who feel themselves strongly attracted to giving care to other women during pregnancy and childbirth. Failure to make use of this group of highly motivated people is regrettable and a sin against the principle of subsidiary. ~ Dr. Kloosterman, Chief of OB/GYN, Univ. of Amsterdam, Holland

**Leslie**

Mama to:
    Shiloh (5/6/06) Nursed for 13 months and Josephine (7/26/08) Nursed for 23.5 mos Currently nursing my new little firecracker, Finley Catherine, born on the 4th of July!!

If you wanted to gain weight, would you drink whole milk or eat rice?

It is my personal soapbox to stand up and call out pediatricians who give poor, bad or wrong advice. In fact I'm thisfar away from starting a thread where we can name the peds who do this so that we can write to the boards in their cities and call them on the carpet. Seriously, this problem is an epidemic.

Babies grow at different rates. Your LO's intake is still best judged by her output in dipes, her demeanor and lastly, with far less importance than the first two, her hitting milestones within a reasonable period of time. Like Leslie said, the WHO and AAP recommend exclusive breastfeeding for the first 6 mos. If you choose to start solids before 6 mos, do it because you want to, not because you want to add some poundage to your babe.

Trust your gut, mama. You'll always do right

ETA: waking 3-4 times at night to nurse at 4 mos is totally normal...my 9 month old dd wakes 1-2 times on a good night, and if we're going through a developmental milestone or teething, she wakes 4 or more times. some babies like to nurse more at night. it is not indicative of them "not getting enough" they're just getting their fill at a "less convenient" time than one might like
    Last edited by @llli*evin; January 20th, 2007 at 12:07 AM.

My little girl was always really low on the percentiles. I never had to mix rice cereal with breast milk for her to gain weight. I had some awesome doctors when I first gave birth though. They knew that breast milk was all she needed until 6 months at least. It seems like alot of doctors just make guesses. That is very sad.

I just wanted to send a link your way mama - to help you. If you want, it might be a good idea (or not - up to you) to print them out and ask your ped to take a look-see at them ... they are breasfeeding growth charts. Might be of some interest - they are different that the "formula-fed" growth charts generally used in the peds office... notice a "normal" dip in growth pattern in breastfed babies. As another poster said - if you wanted to gain weight, would you go for milk or rice... just a thought!

Good luck!!!

Here it is.
    Click here to find an LLL leader near you...or call 1 877 4 LA LECHE for help now.

"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."
    Emerson

Ban the bags. ......... Watch your language. ....... Help keep Dr Newman's clinic open!

We demand that our childcare providers are CPR certified... why don't we demand the same of ourselves! Get certified!

I lost 22 lbs in 8 months... with a bit of determination and common sense information from this book.

Thanks for the advice. She has not lost weight but she is slow to grow. She only gained 1 lb in the last 2 months, which dropper her percentage on the growth chart.

I'm not to eager to start cereal but was concerned that she seems to be slowing down in growth. I'm glad to know that this is normal.

heres a chart that compaires solid foods to breastmilk
    http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/vi...dcalories.html

breastmilk has more calories then just about everything else...