Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Help!

Default Help!

My first baby is just 3 months old, and we are having a hard time breastfeeding. It seems like if the milk flow slows down to where it doesn't basically fall into his mouth, he latches off and screams, and won't eat unless I have lots to give. After I feed him, I can usually pump out 1-2 ounces, but even feeding that to him in a cup or bottle doesn't seem to satisfy him. I am taking fenugreek, which seemed to help in the beginning, but I'm not noticing any big help anymore. Is there anything I can do to encourage him to stay latched? How can I increase my supply so that he has enough to eat? His poopy diapers have decreased and he isn't gaining as much weight as before... he has dropped from the 80th percentile to the 40th. I really want to continue breastfeeding but I am out of ideas! Help!

Default Re: Help!

My LC told me to keep pumping. It's a pain but I find it's the the only thing that works. I need to start pumping more myself to get my supply up to where it's comfortable for her to nurse and get enough. I was pumping for 10 minutes following every feeding even her middle of the night one.

When you think the flow of milk has slowed (baby starts swallowing less or other familiar signs that he's about to un-latch), try breast compressions.

See this link for instructions:

Breast Compressions

Also see this link for more info:

Baby wants a faster milk flow

If your baby is getting bottles he may be beginning to prefer the faster flow of the bottle nipple. If you can, eliminate bottles.

Hopefully something in the links above will help. Please post back and let us know how things go!

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

Hi

Breast compressions are a great idea. You might also try "switch nursing"...that is, as soon as the milk slows on one side, switch baby to the opposite breast to keep him interested. Keep doing this until he is satisfied.

If baby needs supplimenting, it is best to avoid bottles, since the flow from a bottle can be very fast, and if baby gets used to it, he may not be willing to work as hard to milk the breast. Some other ways of supplimenting are spoon or cup feeding, using a dropper or syringe, or an SNS (a devise that enables baby to breastfeed and receive a suppliment at the same time).

Do you have a local LLL leader? It would be really helpful for someone to be able to watch you and your baby breastfeed, to see if his latch and positioning are good. Often, when a baby seems unsatisfied and is not gaining well, it is because they are not positioned well at the breast. Are your nipples sore at all? That would be my first clue that positioning may be to blame. HTH.

Take Care,

Tiana

another thing that helped me was around that age DD started getting very distracted. Try wearing a fun necklace (or nursing necklace) for your LO to reach for. That and switching frequently helped me. HTH