Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: reading my baby's hunger signs

Default reading my baby's hunger signs

I'm getting a little frustrated trying to figure out when my son is hungry. He'll show many of the signs of hunger, but when I offer him a breast, he'll start crying and screaming around the nipple and not latch on. Then, later on, he could be showing the same signs of hunger and feed quite eagerly. Just this evening, as he was being held by my SIL, he showed signs of hunger. She gave him to me, I offered the breast, and he got very upset. So I closed out the shop and tried to soothe him in other ways. After a while we came to the conclusion that he still looked hungry. This time he latched on - seemingly happy to do so - fed for a little bit (no more than 5 minutes), and then unlatched. Then, when I offered him the breast again, he got upset.

This is what my entire day is like. He'll suck on his fist, look at me and stick his tongue out, seem interested, and then get really angry when I try to feed him. He has lots of diapers - both wet and with BMs. He's not wasting away. He just gets angry and frustrated with me multiple times a day. Is this just some kind of phase?

Could my OALD mean that five minutes is enough? During one of his feedings earlier today, it was like we were at a frat party and people were yelling "CHUG CHUG CHUG CHUG!" It's not suck suck suck swallow. A lot of times it's suck swallow suck swallow suck swallow.

Millie

Default Re: reading my baby's hunger signs

How old is your little one? It sounds like he's having a hard time dealing with your OALD/Oversupply. It may be that he's started to associate nursing with the unpleasantness of the forceful let down and fast milk flow. Are you block feeding or doing anything to control your OALD at the moment?

Mama to Adeline Brett, breastfed for 4.5 years (12/14/05) and little Eliza June, new tiny sprite in my arms and still learning the ropes (7/18/10)

Family Blog • If I'm here I'm nursing and typing one handed ... forgive the typos!
    And I'm not a newbie at all ... I'm trying to get my old user ID working from back in the day ... paint-the-moon

He's 9 weeks old. I've been doing block feeding, and it seems that my milk supply has definitely decreased, but not so much the OALD. His nursing pattern is changing - he doesn't seem to nurse more than five minutes before he goes into comfort nursing, or falls asleep. When I wake him up to hopefully feed some more, he rejects the breast. It's making it so that I'd rather keep him on the breast until he falls asleep, hoping desperately that he'll drink more, than wake him up and try to relatch.

His sleeping pattern changed last night, too. Last night, instead of sleeping at least 6 hours straight, he only slept four, fed for five minutes, went to sleep for two hours, fed for five minutes, went to sleep for two more hours, and then fed for five minutes again.

This is very, very confusing and frustrating.
    Millie

You may want to pump some of the milk out. I had to do this with my son...and now he's fine. Also, when I nurse my son, because I have OALD, I nurse him at a higher angle. So, instead of him "laying" in my arms, he I pull my resting arm up so he's reclined at a 45 degree angle (put something under the arm to support it). It seems to help him deal with the OALD.

Hello! I just wanted to post a quick update. After reading these posts, reading articles, talking to a friend who's nursed five kids, and going to a drop-in session with an LC, it does seem that my OALD was/is giving my son a tummy ache. We're still working on helping him out with this, but the past two night have already seen a dramatic change. Once I give him a dose of Mylicon (think that's what it's called), he's more than happy to get a good nursing session in and then go to sleep. Before these two nights, it took both my DH and I multiple attempts to get him to go to sleep without crying a bunch first. I am so relieved!

On another note, at his two month appointment two days ago, he had reached 13 pounds and 4 ounces from his birth weight of 6 pounds 14 ounces! He is soooo awesome! He turned ten weeks old today.

Thanks for all of your support and ideas!
    Millie