Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: rooting after feeding

Default rooting after feeding

My no 18-day-old girl just ate off each breast for about 15-20 min. with good gulping and seeming satisfaction (a.ka. food coma) afterward. But then 30-40 min later she was rooting around again. Is it normal for her to root around so much so soon? Does this mean she didn't get enough to eat?

Default Re: rooting after feeding

Yes, it is normal! Many babies nurse VERY frequently in those first few months. That's what they are wired to do. Your LO may very well be going through a growth spurt and stimulating you to make enough milk to meet her new needs. Keep feeding on cue and she'll probably naturally space out her feedings soon.

Congratulations on your LO!

Jennifer
    Amazed and Proud mom of Luke (Lucas) - 4/5/2006; 9 lbs 12 oz , 22in
    Wife to best friend Carl - 11/4/2001

thanks.

Yes totally normal! And gosh I remember feeling exhausted, every time I would turn around my husband would say 'He's Rooting, he's rooting!' I used to get mad at him because sometimes I thought he was saying it because he wanted to hand him back off to me! But NOPE, he was rooting AGAIN and he ate, and ate then eventually he tapered off. Bare with it, also, some babies have a very strong suckle reflux, they need to suckle. My baby did, and still does at 6mos and I swore I would never use a pacifier, unfortunately I didn't have much choice.

Quote Originally Posted by treejay5 View Post
    Yes totally normal! And gosh I remember feeling exhausted, every time I would turn around my husband would say 'He's Rooting, he's rooting!' I used to get mad at him because sometimes I thought he was saying it because he wanted to hand him back off to me! But NOPE, he was rooting AGAIN and he ate, and ate then eventually he tapered off. Bare with it, also, some babies have a very strong suckle reflux, they need to suckle. My baby did, and still does at 6mos and I swore I would never use a pacifier, unfortunately I didn't have much choice.
    I remember thinking the same of my husband. My DD was eating so very often in those early months. I would never be able to shower long enough to even shave my legs. Poor hubbie But don't worry. My DD is a very efficient eater now and can fill herself up in about 10 minutes. Though she is a good eater, she still does occassionally use me as a pacifier too.
    Hang in there. Things will get better. Good Luck.

Maymay..I just want to share..my baby girl is 21 days she is a CHRONIC ROOTER. Sometimes I wonder if this is normal too. I can feed her for 40mins. both breasts and 1/2-1hr. later she is rooting again. Not everyday is like this. In the first few days when she came home and the past 2 days.
    Reading these posts make me feel a whole bunch better.
    I just keep letting her BF till she passes out either from being stuffed or just exhausted. I have been reading a lot, I read there is a growth spurt around this time. I am hoping this is what it is for this week.
    Are u sore from the long feedings?
    Eliz.

Quote Originally Posted by treejay5 View Post
    And gosh I remember feeling exhausted, every time I would turn around my husband would say 'He's Rooting, he's rooting!' I used to get mad at him because sometimes I thought he was saying it because he wanted to hand him back off to me!
    LOL - it's the same for me! Every time I hand DS to DH, he says "Peter's hungry...". It's annoying, but Peter really is hungry so I can't blame him.

Well, it's good to know we're not alone with our hungry munchkins. I'm getting a bit sore from all the feedings, but it's worth it.
    Cheers,
    Maggie

Ice packs will be your best friend after the frequent feedings. It's the same way with my son...seems to be hungry right after I take him off the breast...

But, it passes...they'll get through their growth spurt and go back to a more "relaxed" schedule of feeding.

caldangel: how do the icepacks help? Is that for more milk or for the soreness. How long do u leave the icepack on? I heard warm compresses for the soreness..is the cold better? I'm confused
    Eliz